• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Almost 4 years later, I still wish I'd have purchased a CW-9 instead of the CW-40....

You MIGHT be able to even find a used Kahr at Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop for a QUITE reasonable price, too. Just gotta check their website often.

(took delivery of a used M&P from Buds yesterday... It's immaculate)

-J-

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    CZ Rami, Kahr, Kel Tec

I would suggest taking a look at the Kahr or CZ Rami pistols.

Given the budget the CZ might be a bit out of the range. You could find a used one for around that price though. There are some other options but they would run out of the budget pretty quickly.

Kel-Tec is another option. I don't have any experience with the 9mm so I wouldn't be able to give a proper recommendation.

Is she planning on carrying? If so she is going to need a good holster also.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Kahr PM9 - there are some good deals out there on used ones that would put it closer to their budget. Also it is good to buy a used Kahr so they are broken in on someone else's ammo.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Sig 239

I own a Sig P239 with the SRT system. I think the double action trigger pull might be a bit long to start with the first shot but if she has small hands, then the extremely short reset with make a huge difference in her ability to follow up on shots. :twocents:
    Hope this helps.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    My wife has smallish hands and chose a glock 26 over all others.It fits her hand well and the trigger reach/pull is very manageable for her.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I suggested the PM9, I was only thinking smallest. But the suggestion of the CW9 is excellent. It is not much bigger than the PM9 and you can easily get one for under $450.

As also mentioned, I'd sure steer her away from a PM40. Holy handful of lightening, Batman! Kind of the same thing with the KelTec. They are not fun to shoot.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I'll agree with you on the 9, but have you shot the .40? I own one and it is a handful of fury. I would only recommend the 9 to someone who isn't very well versed with strong recoil. And yes, I own a PM 40 that has been a good gun, it's just a mean little bugger.

Well, I own and daily carry the PM40. It does go boom, but I can hit a tin can with it at 25 yards if I can rest my arms on something. I do like the dimensions of the PM9 better and agree it is a better choice for a woman. The PM40 doesn't really bite or anything but is probably not the best choice for a woman.

slimgoodman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Maybe the Kahr cw9, Glock 26 or a SW J frame .38--In my opinion the pm9 does not offer much to hang on to so the cw9 with the longer grip may be a better choice--if you go with the SW J frame she could change to larger grips and increase controlability. If she carrys the weapon in her purse the larger grips would not be a problem on the J frame and the size of the Kahr & Glock usually will fit in the hand bag without a problem. However, accessing the weapon is an issue since objects can get lost in a woman's purse--a separate compartment for the gun only will help.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    A small lightweight revolver is not a good first gun, especially for those who are sensitive to recoil. My mom has an LCR and it is not a comfortable gun to shoot. My father, who has been shooting revolvers forever, doesn't like to shoot that many rounds out of it at a time. It is great to carry though, and an accurate little gun for what it is.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A small lightweight revolver is not a good first gun, especially for those who are sensitive to recoil. My mom has an LCR and it is not a comfortable gun to shoot. My father, who has been shooting revolvers forever, doesn't like to shoot that many rounds out of it at a time. It is great to carry though, and an accurate little gun for what it is.

whole-heartedly agree.

I'm a big feller... Relatively "experienced" shooting firearms, too. Not really recoil shy.

And I HATE shooting my J-Frame (S&W 642 w/ wood boot grips). Painful even with target ammo. VERY painful with +p carry loads. Different grips would make a difference, I'm sure... But would then add height and weight, neither of which make pocket carry any easier.

-J-

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A friend's wife accepted a 2nd shift management position and is shopping for a carry pistol and the biggest problem is she cannot reach the trigger on 9mm and higher caliber pistols. Right now their top pick is the Bersa .380. I don't like .380, I have owned them, please don't try to convince me otherwise.

Suggestions? Please don't debate/defend .380 caliber and smaller, its a waste of time. Thank you.

You don't like .380 and you don't like Bersa so that means she doesn't?

Sounds like she needs a second opinion.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I picked up a Taurus 709 Slim at PSS for $369. Good pistol at a good price.

+1 My 709 has been hassle free through well over a thousand rounds. I just picked up a PT-145, so the 709 will go to my wife as soon as I put enough rounds through the new one to be sure of its reliability.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso

I agree...you should look at an LCP. I carry either that or a Kel-Tec P11, but I think the Kel-Tec with its longer trigger pull might be too large. My wife carries an LCP, loves the size, weight and is a great shot with it.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

I agree...you should look at an LCP. I carry either that or a Kel-Tec P11, but I think the Kel-Tec with its longer trigger pull might be too large. My wife carries an LCP, loves the size, weight and is a great shot with it.

I'll third this ... a .380 is better than nothing. Heck even a .22 carried and practiced with is better than a 9 left at home 'cause you can't shoot it well enough to be comfortable with carrying / using it. And if hands are that small - how with they take the recoil to practice? She needs to find what works for her. ... Yes, a 9 would ideally be better than anything smaller ... (complete agree!).

but its not like a BG is gonna stand there while you aim and shower them with lead saying "oh its ONLY a .22" (or .32 or .380). or At least not if they want to live.;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom