• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    After having talked to a few guys over the years who spent some time at Khe Sanh, I got the notion that every one who was there has a bit of PTSD, just depends on the level. After I got rolled from the shock wave when Charlie got our bomb dump during Tet, a bolt of lightening near our house will lock me up in a heart beat. And with the local High School firing off an Ariel bomb to celebrate a touch down on the football field, well it can get interesting. A PhD at the VA said I didn't have any, but sneaky as the 'guvmint is, I was not pissed that I was denied.

I hear 'ya about the slightest unexpected--even expected--noise. It's called "startle reflex". Glad you don't have it, according to the VA. I'd see the DAV and they'll work it through for you if you want it.

I didn't know what PTSD was in 1987 or even about the VA. My wife saw Vietnam come home to roost after our daughter enlisted in the Marines that year. My wife got things started. It's not an entitlement. You earned it.

The DAV is outstanding. Call the Indy location at 317-916-3615

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    The police department will tell you 4 to 6 weeks but if you went through L1 I would expect it within 2. I also thank you for your service.

Yes, just about 2 weeks. Got the License To Carry Handgun yesterday from the Indiana State Police Records Division. :)

Off topic, but here goes:

I had a final worry about getting the licence. This, from an event in March this year at the VA outpatient clinic here in W. Lafayette. New shrink from one of our enemy countries, Syria I think. She cancelled a prescription (Valium) I'd been taking since 1987. I said "I see that reason doesn't reach your brain so I'm out of here." On the way out the door she yelled "I'm calling the police to have you committed." Now I, who can hardly walk without a cane, ran in pain to my car--hit 60mph in their 20mph zone; got to a strip mall and called my wife. Told her my plans to escape. She said the cops are at the door. Talked with one of them, a Marine. He gave me a Semper Fi that they were not there to arrest me, just need to talk. I came home. Cops asked if I were a danger to myself or others. Saw our house, the way we live together. Left saying "no cop, no doctor, no judge will have you committed." Called over to the VA--the prescription was refilled. But that Syrian is still employed there--and now messing with my wife's medications.

Since this is off topic I'd like to ask:

Anyone on this forum seeing this kind of collapse at the VA medical centers? I hear others facing the same sort of thing, but they just accept it and complain. I've called the DAV and talked with the Veterans Affairs guy at my congressman's office but it goes nowhere. The Patient Advocate never returns my call. I feel like I'm fighting that system with only one buddy next to me--my wife--and she needs my advise on how to deal with these new "doctors"; all the old good ones are retiring or getting out of the VA system.

Back on topic, but I'll post this question elsewhere on the forum, too. Smallest pistol I've got is a Ruger SR9. Looking for something smaller, lighter to carry. I'm looking at a Ruger LCP .380 Don't know my weapons much yet. Only the M60, M79, M14, M16 and the Colt 45 but have none of these--haven't seen them for 41 years but bet I'd still know these old friends. The Ruger LCP .380 is small and light, and I'm not wanting to carry a big cannon like the SR9 seems like.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    There should be a sign above every VA hosp entrance that reads........."Heros died liberating your country, so your kid could come here and be a doctor".

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ok... Congrats on the LTCH but a word of advice, rational people probably wouldn't have reacted like that, but I wasn't there...

And yes, my experience with VA clinics is that they are poor healthcare choices. My grandpa was on so many prescriptions and shuffled between so many Doctors that none of them knew what was going on. He went to a regular hospital for surgery and got re-evaluated and taken off his scripts. Felt a lot better.

Also IMO, an M60, M79, M14 and M16 are pretty much every useful weapon you could need besides a good M1911A1 ;)

If you are comfortable with a 45 why don't you try out a compact like a Kimber Ultra or similar? In a good hybrid IWB holster it disappears and is extremely comfortable.

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    There should be a sign above every VA hosp entrance that reads........."Heros died liberating your country, so your kid could come here and be a doctor".

That's true in today's wars. These poor warriors. They come back and see what they get from the VA. Sadder that anything.

The Vietnam fighters died at least for something that has now come to be a sweet semi-Capitalist culture where the always ingenious Vietnamese people come up with nice products that anyone can buy. The Communist regime looks the other way.

The current crew of VA docs spring up daily as if recruited on purpose to harm the vets. I know it's not just at the VA but being so long established (the VA hospital system) as a kind of socialized medicine that served military vets and their families, I didn't expect it to go so bad overnight.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm also 100% PTSD courtesy of Viet-Nam, and a long time LTCH holder. I am VERY fortunate that I have private health care. The letters VA scare me as much as VD. Nothing to trifle with. If the VA is what you are saddled with, I extend my sympathies....you certainly deserve better. You earned it. The HARD way.

As far as .380 pocket pistols: I like the Kel-Tec P3-AT. Less money, fabulous factory warranty/customer service. Check out the Kel-Tec Owners forum and see what you think. BTW, nothing wrong with the .380 Ruger....just offering you another choice. I'd pocket carry either one. Good Luck. :ingo:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Yes, just about 2 weeks. Got the License To Carry Handgun yesterday from the Indiana State Police Records Division. :)

Off topic, but here goes:

I had a final worry about getting the licence. This, from an event in March this year at the VA outpatient clinic here in W. Lafayette. New shrink from one of our enemy countries, Syria I think. She cancelled a prescription (Valium) I'd been taking since 1987. I said "I see that reason doesn't reach your brain so I'm out of here." On the way out the door she yelled "I'm calling the police to have you committed." Now I, who can hardly walk without a cane, ran in pain to my car--hit 60mph in their 20mph zone; got to a strip mall and called my wife. Told her my plans to escape. She said the cops are at the door. Talked with one of them, a Marine. He gave me a Semper Fi that they were not there to arrest me, just need to talk. I came home. Cops asked if I were a danger to myself or others. Saw our house, the way we live together. Left saying "no cop, no doctor, no judge will have you committed." Called over to the VA--the prescription was refilled. But that Syrian is still employed there--and now messing with my wife's medications.

Since this is off topic I'd like to ask:

Anyone on this forum seeing this kind of collapse at the VA medical centers? I hear others facing the same sort of thing, but they just accept it and complain. I've called the DAV and talked with the Veterans Affairs guy at my congressman's office but it goes nowhere. The Patient Advocate never returns my call. I feel like I'm fighting that system with only one buddy next to me--my wife--and she needs my advise on how to deal with these new "doctors"; all the old good ones are retiring or getting out of the VA system.

Back on topic, but I'll post this question elsewhere on the forum, too. Smallest pistol I've got is a Ruger SR9. Looking for something smaller, lighter to carry. I'm looking at a Ruger LCP .380 Don't know my weapons much yet. Only the M60, M79, M14, M16 and the Colt 45 but have none of these--haven't seen them for 41 years but bet I'd still know these old friends. The Ruger LCP .380 is small and light, and I'm not wanting to carry a big cannon like the SR9 seems like.

What your doctor "friend" was probably referring to would be an Emergency Detention Order. It seems like a grey area, but I don't think that would preclude you form being able to carry a handgun. The IC I stated earlier refers to commitments other than short term evaluation/ observations. Besides, as a mental health professional, its actually pretty tough for an EDO to get approved.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    You should have stood your ground Marine; peacefully, tactfully and with professionalism.

Semper Fidelis and thank you for your service from another Marine (0311/0331).

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    You should have stood your ground Marine; peacefully, tactfully and with professionalism.

Semper Fidelis and thank you for your service from another Marine (0311/0331).

I did what circumstances dictated. During the time with that entity I was calm and reasonable. I did not expect, as I walked out the door, to hear that she was about to call for the use force against me. I gave her no cause for that. This then became an emergency. The flying out of there was an act of self-defense, yet even at the speed I had to drive I was under control and fully aware at all times.

Who do you think won that "battle"? As I say, I called the VA after the police left our house, and my prescription was immediately refilled. Of course, after that incident I'm on a sort of black list at that VA. But I keep my appointments with my normal poise of respect toward the nurses and docs. But now, after 10 years with one of them it's "Mr. Tracy" when previously it had always been "Bob".

Semper Fidelis, Marine!
    salute.gif

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I wasn't there, but obviously it all worked out in your favor.. I kill 'em with kindness anymore.. they hate that worse than anything. And if you ask me I think they have all of us Marines on some sort of list or black list.. I've had Nurses and a few Doctors give me attitude for no reason at all. I don't and won't tolerate it.. I don't give a damn who they are or what they think they can do to me.. I know my rights.

:patriot:

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I wasn't there, but obviously it all worked out in your favor.. I kill 'em with kindness anymore.. they hate that worse than anything. And if you ask me I think they have all of us Marines on some sort of list or black list.. I've had Nurses and a few Doctors give me attitude for no reason at all. I don't and won't tolerate it.. I don't give a damn who they are or what they think they can do to me.. I know my rights.

Sorry. I see that I've post the same message twice. So will cut this one.

Last edited:

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN

Of course you’re seeing only my condensed version of the event. I don’t ask you to trust me, but submit that in essence, that’s just what happened.

It was a routine refill of two medications. A new psychiatrist. Her agenda is the fewer drugs the better. She cancelled both meds. I simply said "Ok, I see that your brain is not open to reason." Got up and walked out, and then she threatened me with the cops. I've read the Patient's Rights and Responsibilities. There, and in a frame on the wall, is another version that says:

A veteran is an individual to be cared for, not a medical condition to be treated.
    Each veteran is a unique person, with diverse needs.
    Our veterans are partners and have knowledge and expertise that is essential to their care.

What these docs do not like is that I study my medications and know them very well. I knew that to suddenly cancel either of those two meds was a possible death sentence.

After that incident all the people there have become unhelpful, uncaring, resentful and disrespectful toward me. From the guys at the check-in desk (veterans, but Navy and Air Force--no slam at Navy or Air Force, but this is in reply to a Marine after all), to the nurses and all the docs.

I asked a very old friend I grew up with (an Army Vietnam Vet) how his experience is at the W. Lafayette VA Outpatient Clinic. He said it sucks, has gone down hill over the past two years. I suggested that it seems to be confined to Vietnam Vets and older, but I really don't know. But he doesn't have the courage or maybe just the time or interest in helping me fight this. So, as I say, I'm on my own.

I see you have similar issues. Fighting them with kindness is just what I've started to do. I go in there and play humble and stupid but it gets me no further than going in with intelligence and fighting their harmful attitudes.

Good luck to you, and

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom