• ...and so much more!
  • hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Hello,

Don't see a search here on the forum, so I'm maybe asking a question already answered.

Finished the fingerprinting, and then the paperwork at the Lafayette Police Dept. yesterday.

Should be no issues for I have no felonies. But I wonder about PTSD. Years ago I asked a friend, a retired LPD detective lieutenant, about applying with a total and permanent PTSD with the VA. He said I'd be denied. Did some Google searching, finding that PTSD should not disqualify for the Concealed Carry Permit, so I went ahead with the online application and the rest of it.

Will that PTSD (since 1987) disqualify? PTSD has not made me a raving idiot; I live with it and get on with life.

Incidentally, they told me I'd hear from the State in 4 - 6 weeks. Is that the normal waiting period?

Thanks much,

Bob

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    IANAL. Just my .02

According to IC 35-47-1-7:

"A 'Proper Person' means a person who: (condensed to those dealing with mental health)...
    (11) has not been involuntarily committed, other than a temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority;
    (12) has not been the subject of a:
    (A) ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding under IC 12-26-6; or
    (B) regular commitment under IC 12-26-7; or
    (13) has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial.

In summation, the diagnosis is irrelevant, what matters is the degree of impairment and if you voluntarily sought treatment or had to be forced into long term treatment. (NOTE: From my reading, this does NOT include Emergency Detention Orders, which are, I believe, what the IC means when they mention "temporary commitment for observation or evaluation." I'm not 100% sure, but thats how I understand the Code.)

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    IANAL. Just my .02

According to IC 35-47-1-7:

"A 'Proper Person' means a person who: (condensed to those dealing with mental health)...
    (11) has not been involuntarily committed, other than a temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority;
    (12) has not been the subject of a:
    (A) ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding under IC 12-26-6; or
    (B) regular commitment under IC 12-26-7; or
    (13) has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial.

In summation, the diagnosis is irrelevant, what matters is the degree of impairment and if you voluntarily sought treatment or had to be forced into long term treatment. (NOTE: From my reading, this does NOT include Emergency Detention Orders, which are, I believe, what the IC means when they mention "temporary commitment for observation or evaluation." I'm not 100% sure, but thats how I understand the Code.)

Excellent, I think.

According to this law (A, B, C) and (11, 12, 13) do not apply to me.

Thanks.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Treated for PTSD is not the same as court ordered or held for observation because of PTSD, I dont remember any question on the LTCH form asking, "have you been diagnosed with, or treated for PTSD"? Then again with all the cukoo's out there shooting up politico's, theaters, temples, etc etc, who knows about the future?

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Treated for PTSD is not the same as court ordered or held for observation because of PTSD, I dont remember any question on the LTCH form asking, "have you been diagnosed with, or treated for PTSD"? Then again with all the cukoo's out there shooting up politico's, theaters, temples, etc etc, who knows about the future?

Diagnosed in 1987, but not treated for the condition, although did see a shrink at the PTSD clinic at the Danville, Il VA hospital once a month for a while in the early 1990's. He was a Navy Vietnam veteran I got along with just fine. I kept repeating to him that I didn't have any of the crazy symptoms I'd heard about, like waking up choking my wife etc. In 1987 they asked me three questions: approximate dates, locations and any names of witnesses of my combat experiences. All were clearly recalled by me. And they slapped me with a 50% disability for PTSD, upgraded to 100% in 1990. At the time I didn't even know what PTSD was.

No, there was no question at all on the form about it specifically. I'm hoping they won't flip a coin and make a negative example out of my condition.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    For future reference Indiana does not have a "concealed carry permit" what we have is a License To Carry Handgun often abbreviated as LTCH.

You can legally carry a handgun any way you choose in Indiana, you are not limited to concealing it.

I couldn't care less how you carry (I am not advocating for everyone to OC) but it doesn't do any of us that DO open carry any favors when it is drilled into people's (especially cops) heads that it must be concealed.

I am no expert on your condition but I don't really see it as being an issue.

hankakston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    For future reference Indiana does not have a "concealed carry permit" what we have is a License To Carry Handgun often abbreviated as LTCH.

You can legally carry a handgun any way you choose in Indiana, you are not limited to concealing it.

I couldn't care less how you carry (I am not advocating for everyone to OC) but it doesn't do any of us that DO open carry any favors when it is drilled into people's (especially cops) heads that it must be concealed.

I am no expert on your condition but I don't really see it as being an issue.

LTCH. Good to know (shows my ignorance). Thanks for the information. :yesway:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    The police department will tell you 4 to 6 weeks but if you went through L1 I would expect it within 2. I also thank you for your service.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Yes, the Corps is part of the Dept. of the Navy ..... The Men's Department :D

After having talked to a few guys over the years who spent some time at Khe Sanh, I got the notion that every one who was there has a bit of PTSD, just depends on the level. After I got rolled from the shock wave when Charlie got our bomb dump during Tet, a bolt of lightening near our house will lock me up in a heart beat. And with the local High School firing off an Ariel bomb to celebrate a touch down on the football field, well it can get interesting. A PhD at the VA said I didn't have any, but sneaky as the 'guvmint is, I was not pissed that I was denied.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom