Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    OC for me. I'm proud to be a gun owner,and I dont worry about what the anti's think. I carry for protection so it only seems right that my weapon be handy. I do use discretion when needed.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Concealed carry. I don't need to draw unwanted attention, and won't give up the tactical advantage of the element of surprise. I see no need to expose my firearm for a possible gun grab...no holster gives 100% retention. I don't need to be singled out as the first one to shoot if some nutcase decides to start plinking at the mall or decides to rob the bank or convenience store while I'm standing in line.

I might open carry if camping in the boondocks or on a hunting trip, but I just don't see the point of it in a populated area.

:+1: what Metro 40 said....

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Here's a point to ponder. If the "tactical advantage" of concealed carry is so great, why then do we have uniformed police? Why aren't all police plainclothes, in unmarked cars, carrying their weapons concealed?

Could it perhaps be because the deterrent effect of visible armed officers might actually outweigh the "deterrent" and "surprise" effects of having them concealed?

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    In my not worth so much opinion, concealed carry offers a bit of a surprise, but given the brazen disregard for laws and life that some criminals now have, I think that someone standing up for themselves and others would be surprise enough, I say carry openly so they know what they are gonna get if the mess with ya!!

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I thought it was against the law for open carry in Indiana?

I believe you are referring to open carry without a license - which is not legal in Indiana - but is in some other states. Indiana is a LTCH only State and you may carry open or concealed with a valid License to Carry Handgun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I do both. OC if I am at home and working around the house or yard, and if I have to run to town for parts or supplies I go as I am. Easier than CC. If I am going out to eat or church or someplace special I CC.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    My most comfortable holster (and easily removed to go into the post office) is my OWB Minotaur. But, I also almost always wear a vest over anything (for the pockets) so I'm mostly concealed from unaware eyes. Aware eyes may see the bottom of the holster below the edge of my vest, but I'm not concerned.

So is that half and half? :dunno:

By the way, on the "cowboy" comments, if you read some historical stuff on the Texas Rangers and other Western lawmen in the 1890's to the early 1900's, OC was the "honest" man's way of carry. If you hid your gun, you were up to something nefarious.

Luv me some Western ways! :yesway::draw:

Top Bottom