Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    OC = a "cowboy attitude" thats a load of :poop:

I did not say that people that OC have an "attitude" about them, but rather that none of us are John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Times are much different than they used to be. My thought on it all is just that its easier to CC than to have to talk to the cops on a regular basis.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I did not say that people that OC have an "attitude" about them, but rather that none of us are John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Times are much different than they used to be. My thought on it all is just that its easier to CC than to have to talk to the cops on a regular basis.
    Never had the pleasure of talking to them while OCing, so not sure how that'd be on a "regular basis" :dunno:

You say OCing makes you look like a cowboy, what about CCing? Wouldn't that mean you're hiding it for some nefarious deeds??? Of course not.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Didnt Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry) carry his 44mag in a shoulder hoster under his jacket :dunno: Anyways a right unpracticed is a right that is more easily taken away ! :patriot:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    KDUBCR250 out of the 100 western movies Clint did over the years you bring up the one that he CC's in. LOL

anyway I understand that the right can be taken away. hence the stocking up on ammo, and arms that people are doing right now.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    KDUBCR250 out of the 100 western movies Clint did over the years you bring up the one that he CC's in. LOL

anyway I understand that the right can be taken away. hence the stocking up on ammo, and arms that people are doing right now.
    :laugh: Westerns dont count everyone OC. Plus had to pick the one that made my point !;)

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    of course you did!!!!!!

If you read my posts in this tread im not saying that its bad to OC, more that its not as openly accepted in current times to do so.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow, I go play some Combat Arms and come back and you people are bickering like a bunch of 12yos! LOL

Look, OCing now has the same effect it did back in the 17-1800's. And if more people OCed, more people would become comfortable with it. I live with the most liberal woman any of you know. Luckily she has no choice, well, not really, but to put up with me. I've not changed her mind yet about guns, but she's coming around. I've educated many people about guns since I've started carrying just because I was OCing or my CC was blown.

I've never *seen* anyone that saw me and ran scared. I've gotten a lot of nods, doors held open for me, hello's, and some thumbs up though. I do all that on a regular basis anyway so I figure I've done for them before and maybe they remember me... Then I realize I have a pistol showing... :):

I wish we COULD go back to the Old West days where EVERYONE OCed a pistol and had a rifle slung across their back. I still plan to carry my rifle through Plainfield to PSS but now that I have my levergun I'm going to use that instead of my Tacticooled SKS! :D

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I was considering OCing an AR all day tomorrow what do you think SE?

i bet people have a problem with it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    :):

Seriously though. There isn't anything anyone can do if you carry a rifle into town. That is unless you break a local ordinance. I can carry my rifle, loaded, down US40 and PPD can't touch me. Now if I unsling it and start pointing it for no reason, then I'm screwed. Or if I carry it down the walk/bike trails... But that's about it.

BTW, it doesn't help that I know 60% of the force either... Or I used to.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    Ill leave the OC to you and stick with CC.
    If i didnt think i would get shot, i need to do a social norms paper for my Soc class and im sure i would get some quick responses if i really did OC an M4 in my local shops.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I doubt it. Seriously. Unless your local shops are in the ghetto, or mafia territory, but otherwise, I'm sure you could OC a rifle into just about any store you want until they tell you to leave. If they start shooting at you, JUST SHOOT BACK! :D

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My thoughts on OCing a long gun of any sort in the "general" public (and by that I mean: you're not at a gun range, Appleseed shoot, or any other similar activity). I strongly suspect you'd get slapped with "disturbing the peace." It may be your right to carry it openly, but walking down the Monon is not exactly "friendly" territory.

On the issues of handguns specifically: in my limited experience, the only people who have noticed an OC'd gun are generally at eye level with the firearm (which is safely holstered on the hip). It's only raised adult eyebrows when the children have pointed it out to their parents (who had completely missed it up to that point). And we have yet to have any "cop encounters," friendly or otherwise.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    Point taken Pami.
    just tonight i was shooting smallbore at my local high school like i do every tuesday evening. There was a varsity basketball game going on. I left the range a bit early tonight and the game had not began yet. I came out of the range with my range bag and green soft case and stopped to just scan the crowd and see if i was missing anything. There were 2 officers present on the ground level by the other door and i noticed that one of the officers did see my soft case. I sat for maybe 30 seconds or so and got up to leave. once again the officer looked directly in my direction, but nothing happened.

lets say for some "reason" i didnt have my soft case on my scoped .22 rifle. do you think that the cops or anyone else may have noticed an open long gun and perhaps done something about it?

I considered sitting there for a longer time period just to see if anything would happen, but I didnt have the desire to watch the game.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    My thoughts on OCing a long gun of any sort in the "general" public (and by that I mean: you're not at a gun range, Appleseed shoot, or any other similar activity). I strongly suspect you'd get slapped with "disturbing the peace." It may be your right to carry it openly, but walking down the Monon is not exactly "friendly" territory.

On the issues of handguns specifically: in my limited experience, the only people who have noticed an OC'd gun are generally at eye level with the firearm (which is safely holstered on the hip). It's only raised adult eyebrows when the children have pointed it out to their parents (who had completely missed it up to that point). And we have yet to have any "cop encounters," friendly or otherwise.

As far as I know, there's no IC for DTP. There is disorderly conduct, but legally OCing a gun would not qualify at all

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally: (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons; commits disorderly conduct. . . [1]

If the police want to cite someone for doing something legal, I'm sure they can take them to court.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Thank you for the clarification on the wording, Nate. I knew I had it wrong. I suspect the charge would fall under "(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;" IE.. a group of housewives having breakfast at Bub's gets seriously nervous about seeing a guy with a shotgun strapped to his back and calls the police.

I know the purpose is to make a point about the legality of it, and I know that I'm opening a can of worms here, but it would definitely be "knowingly...disrupt[ing] a lawful assembly of persons." Can of worms #2: is it really worth the hassle you'd get from it?

Top Bottom