• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While what they do on base might be affected by what uniform they wear, I can't see how this would affect what they do while out of uniform. As I understand it, without the base commander's permission, our servicemen and women cannot even possess a firearm while on base, even locked away out of their immediate possession, and if my understanding is correct, they couldn't even go into town (walmart or whatever) with a concealed carry, as they have nothing available to them to either conceal or carry. Please correct me if I'm mistaken in my understanding.

Blessings,
    Bill

We lost a Marine this week at Camp Lejeune due to ND. He was a gate guard. Source.

I'll make a note that that Marine Corps has much stricter standards about when and where Marines can wear certain uniforms. If other services adopted similar policies, it could alleviate the concerns about servicemen going to bars or even stopping at Walmart on the way home in uniform and under arms.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    While what they do on base might be affected by what uniform they wear, I can't see how this would affect what they do while out of uniform. As I understand it, without the base commander's permission, our servicemen and women cannot even possess a firearm while on base, even locked away out of their immediate possession, and if my understanding is correct, they couldn't even go into town (walmart or whatever) with a concealed carry, as they have nothing available to them to either conceal or carry. Please correct me if I'm mistaken in my understanding.

Blessings,
    Bill

I was more addressing the the concerns in this post (below) than in yours, Bill. I agree with ya: follow local law off base (and then work to make local law more in line with the Constitution we swore to support and defend!).

Here's the problem. If we allow them to carry, while in uniform, who picks up the tab for liability? Who pays for training, the weapons, upkeep, and so on. I think to allow this to happen the military will have to revamp quite a bit. If this is going to work, the military is probably going to have to arm everybody, and adopt a policy that prohibits soldiers from wearing uniform when not working; that way they can be allowed to carry as they please when not in uniform, and these ridding the govt of some liability.

I say this because, we all know that soldiers regularly stay in uniform, off-post/duty. They go to bars, strips clubs, restaurants pretty much anywhere. If we started allowing uniformed, armed off-duty soldiers in public, I can imagine the public outcry of "police state!" Some solution needs to be made, because soldiers should be able to defend themselves.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Blessings,
    Bill

I ETSed, in 1981, from AD USMC . I lived in Base Housing, I had possession, of all of my personal firearms..... In the "barracks", you were supposed to "turn them in" to the armor, for storage in the armory. What they do now, I have no idea .....

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Blessings,
    Bill

Last time I was at Benning if you had your firearms off post there was no "registration". However if you planned to bring them on post for the civilian firearms range then you had to register them with the Provost and they had to be double locked i.e. trigger/cable lock and in a locked case.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't want half the young soldiers I was in charge of to have a firearm. Most of them were not mature enough to realize what they had in their hands. I would agree with E5 and above, but nothing lower in my opinion. Sorry, can't bring myself to sign it.

Top Bottom