• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just because you can does not mean you should.

I'm probably about to risk your opinion of me changing, though, when I point out that you seem to have ignored every point in my post except that some of the states I named allow officers to steal, even temporarily, the property of citizens without any suspicion of a crime. Again, were the shoe on the other foot, you'd be charging them with felonies. Have we truly sunk so low as to set the bar high for one person performing an act, and low enough for others that they may do that same thing solely based on a feeling of a lack of safety?
    I named Harless. He's only one, admittedly egregious example of a pervasive tendency for LEOs to consider themselves above those upon whom they enforce the law.

The bottom line question, I think, is: What is your job? Is it to protect the lives, property, and rights of the citizens who employ you, or is it to :poop: on those in preference of your own feelings of safety? (not a false dichotomy; I'm sure you and others have been placed in exactly that position in your careers, one or the other/can't have both)

Oh, and AZ does not require a permit to CC. They're Constitutional Carry.They do still issue a permit (I have one) but it is for reciprocity, not permission within the state from the state to carry, and I'm not sure what point you were making regarding the population of some states being low. Rights are not dependent upon numbers in a census, although admittedly, when you have larger populations in a small area, you do tend to see them begin to lean Democrat/anti-gun politically. They actually seem to start to believe the rhetoric that it's the gun, rather than the person, who commits the crime. Additionally, that a state imposes a training hurdle to lawfully exercise a right is immaterial to this discussion. In any event, with permitless (Constitutional) carry, that hurdle goes away.
    I can say categorically and specifically that I will not be a threat to an officer at the roadside, whether in a city or traveling an Interstate through open fields in some rural location. I will, however, be armed in both places. Since in a city, you have a greater likelihood of backup in reasonably close proximity, would it not make more sense and be more rights-conscious to call for backup rather than take property from someone unnecessarily? Further, let's just say that in that Constitutional Carry setting, I DO still have my LTCH. Presuming you somehow knew I was armed (how you would know that is the biggest mystery) would you still disarm me? (if anyone who may lawfully possess a handgun can carry it, you still, as today, would only know about the ones who have the LTCH and/or are carrying openly, neither of whom, you've admitted, is the threat you disarm routinely)

Blessings,
    Bill

Not a chance. You remain civil in your disagreements, and I can appreciate being taken to task.

Anyways, I'm wondering if you're fully understanding my point as to under what circumstances, within society, that I would alter my opinion from going from not needing to disarm a person due to the existence of a LTCH vs disarming everybody due to the abolishment of the permit/license system (because would you still need a LTCH in a constitutional carry situation?).
    So far, it seems that your biggest complaint with the idea is the "bad cop" belief. It further appears your of the belief that these disarmings would be the result of a encounter of a voluntary police interaction. No, I have not implied that all. I am of the belief, that under the current system, officers should not random stop people solely for carrying a firearm, not should (for the most part) disarm a driver simply for possessing a firearm during a traffic stop. However, in a constitutional carry society where LE has made contact with an armed person, or discovered to be armed, due to that person being in a situation where a LE contact is required, it seems/is (IMO) appropriate to disarm the parties involved.
    I'm not one to use the catch-all of officer safety as a crutch, but in constitutional carry society, I would expect the numbers of improper persons with guns to explode. That's a big deal to any officer. And then lacking the immediate tools (such as the presentation of, what would be abolished, permit/ltch system), upon initial contact; and officer can no longer "play the odds" that theyre dealing with a "good guy" as many do upon being presented a permit/ltch.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Not a chance. You remain civil in your disagreements, and I can appreciate being taken to task.

Anyways, I'm wondering if you're fully understanding my point as to under what circumstances, within society, that I would alter my opinion from going from not needing to disarm a person due to the existence of a LTCH vs disarming everybody due to the abolishment of the permit/license system (because would you still need a LTCH in a constitutional carry situation?).
    So far, it seems that your biggest complaint with the idea is the "bad cop" belief. It further appears your of the belief that these disarmings would be the result of a encounter of a voluntary police interaction. No, I have not implied that all. I am of the belief, that under the current system, officers should not random stop people solely for carrying a firearm, not should (for the most part) disarm a driver simply for possessing a firearm during a traffic stop. However, in a constitutional carry society where LE has made contact with an armed person, or discovered to be armed, due to that person being in a situation where a LE contact is required, it seems/is (IMO) appropriate to disarm the parties involved.
    I'm not one to use the catch-all of officer safety as a crutch, but in constitutional carry society, I would expect the numbers of improper persons with guns to explode. That's a big deal to any officer. And then lacking the immediate tools (such as the presentation of, what would be abolished, permit/ltch system), upon initial contact; and officer can no longer "play the odds" that theyre dealing with a "good guy" as many do upon being presented a permit/ltch.

You stated that you believe the number of improper persons carrying would explode if we had constitutional carry. Are there any statistics from states where this is the case? I've not read about this being a problem. Plus, how many improper persons carry firearms anyway, even though it is illegal?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You stated that you believe the number of improper persons carrying would explode if we had constitutional carry. Are there any statistics from states where this is the case? I've not read about this being a problem. Plus, how many improper persons carry firearms anyway, even though it is illegal?

No state has a true constitutional carry law, so statistics aren't available. I think it would be obvious that what are considered "improper persons" by the currently understood standards would flock to firearm ownership and carrying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why would that be obvious? Are we doing away with the whole Brady felon/domestic prohibition as well?

...and mental health. Isn't that what true constitutional carry is? Shouldn't a free person hold all their rights?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No state has a true constitutional carry law, so statistics aren't available. I think it would be obvious that what are considered "improper persons" by the currently understood standards would flock to firearm ownership and carrying.

No state?

Alaska
    Arizona
    Vermont

What do you mean by "true constitutional carry"? Because Vermont has never required a permit, and has about the lowest "gun crime" and "gun homicide" per capita in the US

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Getting a bit rowdy in here.
    New guy.....you are very close to the edge.
    Ease up please.
    I will not ask you again.

Carry on.

Wow, a new member post's a bunch of one liner's to get to the classifieds and his post's are removed.

A new member has a civil debate and is threatened with a ban? bizzaro world we live in!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, a new member post's a bunch of one liner's to get to the classifieds and his post's are removed.

A new member has a civil debate and is threatened with a ban? bizzaro world we live in!

No it is not.

Civil is a matter of perception.

No one was banned. No warnings given.
    There was a good PM based conversation generated behind this and a new member now understands.

If purple was implied cool. If not..................:dunno:

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I'm still here...just got busy with work and family haven't had time to read through everything. Wasn't trying to get to classifieds, just really want our LEO's to respect good citizens rights and not treat them like criminals just because they're exercising a right. I respect all of our leo's, it's a job I wouldn't want to do. But I also believe they signed up knowing the risk and shouldn't disarm a innocent person because they're in fear for their safety. I've seen a few bad leo's that make me fear for my safety also, but I'm not permitted to disarm them because of it. Love our country and everything we stand for, millions of young men died so we can have rights, it's just as much our job to exercise and protect them. Sorry for any confusion, but I'm still here alive and well.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm still here...just got busy with work and family haven't had time to read through everything. Wasn't trying to get to classifieds, just really want our LEO's to respect good citizens rights and not treat them like criminals just because they're exercising a right. I respect all of our leo's, it's a job I wouldn't want to do. But I also believe they signed up knowing the risk and shouldn't disarm a innocent person because they're in fear for their safety. I've seen a few bad leo's that make me fear for my safety also, but I'm not permitted to disarm them because of it. Love our country and everything we stand for, millions of young men died so we can have rights, it's just as much our job to exercise and protect them. Sorry for any confusion, but I'm still here alive and well.

Don't get involved in an interaction where law enforcement is required to appear, and odds are you won't be disarmed.... in a constitutional carry society, of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Glad you stuck around.......:yesway:

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I guess if our leo's refuse to respect our rights that's our only option. Just hope I never have a headlight go out and get stopped, I'd sure hate to be disarmed over a headlight.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Lol thanks, been swamped at work then the warden at home decided I needed to put in extra shifts around thenhouse. Been a busy week, but I don't plan on going anywhere I like it here to much :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry boss. Won't happen again, boss.

I have had to interactions with LEO in the last 2 weeks. Both were traffic stops and both my own fault.
    I was respectful, non-threatening and I received the same in return. I also got 2 really good breaks.
    Just like in here......remain civil and 99% of the time it will be returned.

No, was not disarmed either time.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I guess if our leo's refuse to respect our rights that's our only option. Just hope I never have a headlight go out and get stopped, I'd sure hate to be disarmed over a headlight.

Which right? You haven't articulated your point, be more specific?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So police shouldn't disarm a drunk guy with a gun who is having an argument (verbal) with another guy in a bar parking lot??? Huh, never would have guessed that. But you can probably guess, I'm going to disarm the drunk guy even if I don't think he has committed a crime.

And what part of constitution uses reasonable and suspicion? I haven't read that version.

Drunk + argument = specific, reasonable, articulable suspicion that someone armed is potentially dangerous. The sufficiency of that suspicion is perhaps debatable (because it is subjective, and very situation-dependent, etc.), but it is at least something.

What does that have to do with the discussion we were having, about a police officer being able to disarm any law-abiding person merely for carrying a firearm, because of non-specific, inarticulable fear for "officer safety"?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've been civil, so I expect you to do the same. As far as reading, if you been keeping up on the thread, my contention is related to nationwide constitutional carry, and not how the law currently stands (as I am in agreement with not disarming LTCH carriers soley based on having a firearm).
    So, moving on, are you "yes or no" agreeing that person who has not committed a crime or not suspected doing so can be disarmed, as stated in my drunk analogy?

And as far as the case you cited, the ruling was correct. Simply having a firearm is NOT a legitimate reason to be detained and disarmed by police. If you thought I implied that, you'd be incorrect. My premises is that if constitutional carry was adopted nationwide, then IMO during contact where police has a person legally detained, and is aware of a firearm, seizing the firearm IMO would be justified...

That depends on the reason for the detention, and other circumstances specific to the situation. There is no inherent reason that a lawful detention justifies disarming a person lawfully carrying a firearm, merely because a person is detained. Detaining someone for a traffic stop does not justify disarming the driver. Speeding in a vehicle is not specific, reasonable, articulable suspicion that the speeding driver is dangerous.

...as there is no reliable mechanism to determine upon initial contact that the carrier is a "proper person."

I've already quoted the decision from US v. Black, that establishes that the default status of a person is not a felon in possession of a firearm. That decision directly addresses your "proper person" canard. You must have specific, reasonable, articulable suspicion that the person in question is NOT a "proper person".

Top Bottom