• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I was at the Fort Wayne gun show, with a friend of mine, this morning...and we found her a Compact Citadel (slightly used) for $275. We'll probably shoot it sometime this week and if all goes well, we'll work on setting it up for her with some grips, a set of night sights, good carry holster, etc. She wanted something 'compact' for personal carry and so far, she likes it! (If she ever gets to the point where she doesn't like it, she's supposed to give me a call!)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a good belt, and a decent holster, but the holster won't fit on the belt. :n00b:
    O.K., so you do have an improper platform. Changing the weapon won't help that.

So I am wanting something new in the holster department, but I haven't particularly decided what yet. What is your setup? I prefer owb. Also, I did get the belt before I even had this gun, so I didn't know it wouldn't fit this holster.

INGO really needs a "how do I select a proper holster?" in the FAQ.

Garb, think of the belt, mag holder and holster as one unit. You want the belt to fit the holster as the belt is the foundation which provides stability and weight distribution (next time you hear "oh, my gun is too heavy" ask that person what kind of platform they use).

When you attach the holster you do not want a lot of slop/play/wobble. Your holster is for more than carrying the weapon. It is part of the fighting system. You need stability.

Stability, which is what you need for drawing, one handed reloading and one handed malf drills, is paramount. Stability in not sliding around on your belt and retaining the weapon. Put the pistol in it and see if it falls out, in a good holster it should not.

Buy the holster and belt together from the same manufacturer. Do not go cheap. Buy it right and buy it once.

I like Milt Sparks, but I am older than the INGO median so I roll old school with a Milt Sparks Executive Companion for IWB and a #60TK, a #55BN and a very old Road Runner for OWB (all horse hide). I use Milt Sparks belts.

We are blessed with many fine holster makers now. YMMV. Remember, buy the holster AND the belt.

gangstabro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    carry revlovers anything 38 bigger. wont leav casings to tell on you. cheap too both bullits and gun

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My only experience with compact size 1911's is my EDC a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Has a 3" barrel shoots .45 cal.. While the recoil is some what more felt than my full size Kimber it really isn't that bad. It was the first gun my son, when he was 11 yrs old, ever shot he had no problems at all shooting it and it quickly became his favorite gun to shoot. I've also allowed my sister to shoot it and she is all of 120 lbs soaking wet, she also had no issues shooting it. While the Kimber Tactical Ultra II is well over a thousand dollars, you can easily find Kimber Ultra Carry's for well under a grand.

You also might want to look at the Kimber compact line, has a 4" barrel with the smaller grip size. Really it is mostly the grip that will print when you are trying to CC a 1911.

When I'm not carrying my Kimber, I carry a Glock 26 and I agree with Joe, they are very nice, accurate, and easy to CC guns.

Good luck to you on your quest for the perfect gun/carry set up :)

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    O.K., so you do have an improper platform. Changing the weapon won't help that.

INGO really needs a "how do I select a proper holster?" in the FAQ.

Garb, think of the belt, mag holder and holster as one unit. You want the belt to fit the holster as the belt is the foundation which provides stability and weight distribution (next time you hear "oh, my gun is too heavy" ask that person what kind of platform they use).

When you attach the holster you do not want a lot of slop/play/wobble. Your holster is for more than carrying the weapon. It is part of the fighting system. You need stability.

Stability, which is what you need for drawing, one handed reloading and one handed malf drills, is paramount. Stability in not sliding around on your belt and retaining the weapon. Put the pistol in it and see if it falls out, in a good holster it should not.

Buy the holster and belt together from the same manufacturer. Do not go cheap. Buy it right and buy it once.

I like Milt Sparks, but I am older than the INGO median so I roll old school with a Milt Sparks Executive Companion for IWB and a #60TK, a #55BN and a very old Road Runner for OWB (all horse hide). I use Milt Sparks belts.

We are blessed with many fine holster makers now. YMMV. Remember, buy the holster AND the belt.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely have to look into the milt sparks belts.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a full size Springfield, a couple of Kimbers for concealed carry and a RIA compact. The most concealable of my guns is the Kimber Ultra Carry and it was not all that expensive. I think I paid $779 for it and have seen it cheaper since. There's a bit of a difference between the recoil on the Kimber Ultra and the Springer, but not that much. It's accurate and quite fun to shoot too. I have a set of ultra thin grips on mine and when carried IWB, it just disappears. My main carry gun is a Kimber Compact and again, the recoil is not bad at all. The main difference between the Ultra and the Compact is the barrel length. The Compact has the 4 inch barrel and as has been mentioned elsewhere here, the Ultra has a 3 inch. I've never had an issue with reliability on any of my 1911s except the full size Springer, and that was cured with a spring kit and new mags.

For carry, I like the Kramer Scabbard OWB holsters in horsehide. They are light, comfortable, secure and conceal well with an untucked shirt. They also look good too, when I OC.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Had an officers model for a few years and traded it off as was happy with the Commander, Full Size and a Sig P220 (like a DA for a gun that rides more in the care than on my hip, which has to be now days as too many clients don't allow firearms on site). For strong side carry with an IWB holster did not see enough of an advantage to over way the slower follow up, less rounds and little harder shooting. Bottom line is shot before you buy, which is what friends are for (did have an HK USP Tactical 45 that let a friend try out for several years and never did get it back ... but he did return the Sako TRG-42 338LM with a new Nightforce scope on it, so I guess we are more than even ;-)

As back ground, I have four general carry options:

Out side the belt holster, works great to carry but to conceal really need a longer coat or for field carry. This is not an option for most of my days and when it is, probably already have a rifle in hand.

Inside the waste band holster, which with the proper belt and a square cut shirt allow carry with the shirt untucked in the summer. Using either a light woven polo shirt or similar to cut down printing. Also works well with a light jacket and tucked in shirt (jacket just has to stay over the belt line vs. muzzle for the out side the belt holster. With the IWB in the small of my back, have had no issues with the full size 1911 (I am 6' and 200 lbs) and the Commander works great also. Friends ran a restaurant years ago and after eating and vising for a year, the look on his face was great when after closing he asked about a carry gun. Also like this carry in crowds as can block the side arm with your strong side elbow so no contact is made.

Next step down in size is a coat pocket carry for winter, which in my world tends to be a light weight hammer-less 38 Special. The Officer's model is another option but really not 100% with a 1911 (or a Glock) not in a holster.

Lastly is the classic pocket carry which the same hammer less 38 Special is almost too larger thick for, unless have a good set paints (Columbia makes/made the Roc with a second zipper pocket inside of the outside pocket that was prefect). For regular paints anything as bug as the 38 or even a PPK tends to print and I ended with a Colt Pony years ago.

Regads
    John

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry a Taurus 24/7 9mm and the gun is very small and carry it with the shorter mag 13+1. It is very easy to CC becuase of its small size but the trigger pull is a mile long so I feel like I have way to much time to think about the shot I am taking. Other than that it is a great CC gun for a beginner or poor college kid like myself.

rfglock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I just got off of olympicarms website and they have some nice 1911's,I really like the constable model with around 4in barrel but dont know anything bout these guns sure looks like good size for concel carry,gonna have to do some checking up on this gun.

Top Bottom