• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Right now I have a Springfield XD .45 which is a huge gun to carry around. Pretty much it has to be OC'ed or semi-CC'ed when carrying it because of the size & weight of the gun.

I am trying to find a .40 or a .45 that is a good size to conceal carry... any suggestions? I don't want a revolver.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you like your Springfield, otherwise?

I have a XD40SC that can conceal pretty easily. The shorter grip makes the difference, along with a good holser.

I also know some folks that conceal a full-sized XD, so maybe a different holster would help you?

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Do you like your Springfield, otherwise?

I have a XD40SC that can conceal pretty easily. The shorter grip makes the difference, along with a good holser.

I also know some folks that conceal a full-sized XD, so maybe a different holster would help you?

I really like the springfield, I feel like it is a reliable gun, and it has a nice design to it, and I like to dual safety. How much does a XD40SC sell for? and any idea what type of holster they are using?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'll second the suggestion for a single stack 1911. It's amazingly concealable. But the note about the right holster is equally applicable. You might just need to find a holster (or belt; many people forget about the belt) that works a little better for you and your current gun.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I really like the springfield, I feel like it is a reliable gun, and it has a nice design to it, and I like to dual safety. How much does a XD40SC sell for? and any idea what type of holster they are using?

The Sub-compacts seem to be in the $400-ish range new. You'll see them in the classifieds on here now and then, too.

I use a SuperTuck for concealing, and so do a few other folks I know. Comp-tac seems to be popular as well, and I'm sure there are others. A good holster and belt combination, and you can conceal about anything.

I mention the sub-compact only because you are already familiar with the full-size. No sense in changing what you like (grip and controls) when you can just go a bit smaller.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Colt Commander for me. I OC most of the time though. I saw a pretty nice looking ATI subcompact 1911 in .45 today at the LGS. They wanted $100.00 too much for it, but it was very slim and would be easily concealable.

:twocents:

The wife's XDsc in 9mm conceals easily as well. We picked it up new for a used Glock 19 and a fifty dollar bill. ($400.00 + tax out the door).

The XD holster it came with tends to "fall away" from my side. Probably due to the HUGE belt loops on the thing. I imagine with a wider belt it would stay more against my waist...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The XD holster it came with tends to "fall away" from my side. Probably due to the HUGE belt loops on the thing. I imagine with a wider belt it would stay more against my waist...

The provided plastic "holster" is worthless! :laugh: A cheap Fobus is better. I picked up a leather holster from JBP that holds it nice and close. Looks "classy" when I OC, and an untucked Polo serves for an impromptu conceal.

When I first got this XD, I was worried that it would never conceal well. Its thick (double stack) and heavy (for a composite). Once I picked up a good belt and IWB holster, and learned how to dress around it a bit, it simply disappeared.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'll second the suggestion for a single stock 1911. It's amazingly concealable. But the note about the right holster is equally applicable. You might just need to find a holster (or belt; many people forget about the belt) that works a little better for you and your current gun.

Third.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    The provided plastic "holster" is worthless! :laugh: A cheap Fobus is better. I picked up a leather holster from JBP that holds it nice and close. Looks "classy" when I OC, and an untucked Polo serves for an impromptu conceal.

Agreed there. I don't know if it's the XD holster design combined with the small length of the sc, but my 4.5" XDm holster was actually pretty nice. Either way, I will definitely be getting her a new holster for it.

Top Bottom