• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I purchased a hk91 copy rifle that was SBR'd and had a can permanently attached. This brought the legal legnth requirement up to what it needed to become a 1 stamp gun.

Fast forward a long ass time. This rifle is a turd. Big muzzle flash, loud, and heavy as heck. WTF are my options?

I could sell it to someone else but I don't want to do to them what was done to me. :noway:

Can I form 1 both? I know I would have to pay a tax stamp on the can and a stamp for the SBR but then I would at least have a SBR rifle. I might even be able to work up a set of baffles for the can and have a SUPPRESSOR and not a LOUDENER.

What say you INGO?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Was the rifle ever taken out of the registry as a SBR or is it still in the registry as an SBR? If it is still considered an SBR I would say make it so that the can is always able to be removed. As far as re-baffling your can, I'm sure there are some companies that could help you out with that. If all else fails, I'll fill out the paperwork and you can just give it to me and I will protect it from your eyes so that you never have to look at it again. :)

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    if it was me and the sbr status was never removed from the registry and that sbr is in your name i would cut the can off and send it some were to be rebuilt

then you have a cool sbr like a hk51 and a 308 can

the important part is probably was it transfered to you as a one stamp gun? or just brought up to one stamp specs by perm attach the suppressor by you

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    It was transfered as a one stamp gun just for the suppressor. It's not an "SBR" yet because it wasn't registered as one right? The suppressor makes it 16" in length and therefore not a SBR by NFA terms?

So yes you can Form1 the rifle and make it an official SBR and once you get the stamp remove the suppressor.

As for the suppressor since you have the stamp you could send it to the manufacturer for a cleaning.

As for repairing your own I'm not sure what the legalitys are on that?:dunno:

You could do away with the suppressor you have and Form1 a brand new one. I don't know if you can form1 an existing to reapir it though. I would think an SOT would be required for that?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I agree with mjducky, if you got it as a 1 stamp gun then the stamp had to have been for the can. Before you can remove the can you will have to either remove the barrel from the gun or Form 1 the gun.

Depending on the brand of the can you may be able to form 1 the gun, remove the can, and then have the threads restored on the can so you can use it on other hosts.

As I understand it, repair on the can would have to be done by an 02 SOT.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The rifle was never entered into the registry as an SBR.

The manufacturer is just as much of a turd as the rifle.

No one wants to work on the can to re-baffle it because they don't know what the tube material is made of.

Any suggestions for a 02 SOT to do any work?

Matt, would you do something like this?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    SBR the gun, cut off the can, get it re-barreled, get yourself a good .308 can and be happy. Try and sell the POS can to someone else, with the full disclamer as to what you think of it. Some-one out there will want it.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, I hate to say it because it's more expensive this way, but what I would do is Form 1 it as an SBR, remove the junk can, and buy a nice name brand can of reputable manufacture.
    Now what to do with the old can? Save it as a souvenir? Have it destroyed and taken off the books to never haunt anyone ever again?

This is assuming that no one else will touch it. The folks at liberty cans may be able to help.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Can this be done while waiting to be approved?

Waiting on the form1 SBR you mean? Yes as long as you remove the barrel so the rifle is not in SBR configuration you can have the suppressor removed and sent in for repair. Also I would not keep the barrel and lower in the same building until you get your stamp back once you remove the suppressor from the barrel. You get into the grey area of SBR's then.
    PS don't forget to get the lower engraved while your waiting as well.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    The manufacturer is just as much of a turd as the rifle.
    im curious as to what you expected a 308 with an 8in barrel & a can on it to sound like ?????
    what did you think you were buying??:dunno:
    a suppressed 9mm ???
    have you ever heard an 8in barreled 308 without a can ???
    i have a couple
    thier extremely loud & i wouldnt even consider putting a can on em
    ive never heard of the manufacturer your talking of .... but how did he do you wrong ???

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    form 1 the gun to an sbr

cut the can off... shoot the gun with no can and then see if the can is making a diffrence and stated in the above post sbr 308 is really loud

get the can rebuilt if possible then you have best of both worlds

supper loud sbr for crowd pleasing and throw the can on it when you want it to be managable

Top Bottom