• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'll admit I may be part of the recent panic about impending gun legislation. In my defense I've been interested in shooting most of my life. I just wasn't brought up around it and never owned a gun.

I feel ya dude. I was raised just outside a major city, then moved to the downtown of a different city for college. it wasnt until I moved to Indiana and met a new group of friends that I got interested in the shooting sports.

It's a risk either way, but unless you got tons of cash you cant wait to get rid of, Id wait on the AR. The ban (probably) wont pass, if it doesnt then a year from now you'll be ticked that you dropped 2k on an $800 gun.

But, I dont know the future, I could be wrong.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks for the advice!! So where is there a decent range where I can rent a gun? I live in Carmel / Noblesville area. Is Popguns the only place that rents guns?
    You can go to Highsmiths on St.Rd. 9 in Greenfield. They have a nice range and a selection of rental guns. You might also think about taking an NRA Basic Handgun Class at a Range such as Highsmith or Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club outside of Pendleton. You can google them, NRA or gun clubs and find something that suits you.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    I believe in the American way of thinking that bigger is better, so whatever make, model, and caliber you choose I would suggest getting the biggest bullet it will shoot. Right or wrong, just my thought on the subject. So whatever you decide on practice, be safe and have fun.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    If you're in the Noblesville area you can also check out Indy Gun Safety over in Fishers off SR37. It's right next to the McDonald's. They have a gun shop and they offer the NRA basic pistol class. You will have an opportunity in that class to fire a couple different calibers and get acquainted with various styles of guns. That would be an excellent place to start.
    Indy Gun Safety Home

Oh, and their gun prices are reasonable, too.

Timcor3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    When buying your first, it doesn't matter what it is, your going to love it because you haven't had it before! Like your first gf, eventually your gonna try something else and swear by it as well. Buy what you can afford, not what you want. So whatever serves the purpose and is affordable to you will pacify for now.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Welcome neighbor. PM one of the folks in Noblesville, heck we may know each other. Most of them would be glad to meet for a coffee and answer all your questions.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    Just thinking out loud...stating my opinion and preference for what it may or may not be worth...
    Using a smaller caliber because it allows putting your next bullet close to your previous bullet is reckless. It implies rapid fire is best. With rapid fire you might easily hit something/someone you don't want to hit.
    My personal choice is to use a larger caliber. One shot should do the job. The second shot, if needed, isn't likely needed on the same target (assuming home defense).

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    My first thought for home protection is a 12 gauge as well. I also like the judge. I have been told by many a person that a revolver is a great personal protection piece. Other than that you have gotten lots of great advice so far. Take a little time and look around, don't by in a panic.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    :+1: To No2dames suggestion on Indy Gun Works. He is a great guy and has various types of handguns for you to try. As Jarhead77 mentioned, you can always contact another Noblesville member and meet for a cup of coffee or something. I know I would take the time to offer any assistance you needed.

Top Bottom