• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm leaning towards competition training as well. A shooting course like in videos seems like a great deal of fun. With my limited experience it seems that training for competition lends itself towards defensive situations to a greater degree then vice-versa.

It depends on how you approach it and what is taught.

That's one of the strengths of our IP101 class. The skills are applicable to both practical pistol shooting as well as self-defense. How and when those skills are applied is the difference.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm leaning towards competition training as well. A shooting course like in videos seems like a great deal of fun. With my limited experience it seems that training for competition lends itself towards defensive situations to a greater degree then vice-versa.

We have some spots in IP101 on Octber 8th. It is the best place to start for either discipline as Rhino said. There is more overlap between competition and self defense that some people claim. Come and learn both and decide for yourself.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    We have some spots in IP101 on Octber 8th. It is the best place to start for either discipline as Rhino said. There is more overlap between competition and self defense that some people claim. Come and learn both and decide for yourself.

The IP class has really does have a lot of crossover. I may take this course again. You can not beat the value of this course.

Ooops quote the wrong person. This was intended for JFrost. I'm sure that Coach already knows it is a bargain for the knowledge you acquire :D

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I know a few of us took the course with Coach in Warsaw early on this season. It was a blast! I know personally I learned a lot... Including how to run from a funnel cloud at the end...

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    At the basic level the training for defense and competition are similar. The further you progress in the two the more the training becomes specialized. Eventually it is worthwhile to decide which path is your primary focus with the understanding that your performance in the other will probably suffer.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've been away for a while but it is nice to have so many options to follow up on. Thanks for all the advice. I will be PMing several people in the next few days to find out more. I am in the Indianapolis area, and it is not too hard for me to get to MGFC.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Slow1911s

I’m not sure what part you’re asking about. As far as choosing a path, this is based on the idea that someone wanted to go beyond the basic level. If they don’t then it doesn’t matter. If they do want to progress to a higher level in competition or defense then the paths start to diverge. To describe the idea of performance loss due to specialization maybe an example is in order. Let’s call competition training a Corvette and defensive training a Jeep. If your desire is to go fast then the Corvette is the obvious choice. If you want to go off road the Jeep is the obvious choice. When you buy one you are accepting the strengths and the weaknesses. When you allocate your training time you are buying what you are training. I hope this helps.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    David - What do you say about people like Larry Vickers, Bennie Cooley, Ted Puente, Kyle Lamb, Phil Strader, Mike Seeklander, Bob Vogel, Travis Haley, ...?

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For some of the people on the list I think you’re confusing Defensive with Offensive skills. Offensive skills are much more closely related to competition than defensive skills.

For some of the people on your list they have used periodized training to great effect. This kind of proves my point.

A couple of the people on your list are known for teaching both competition and defensive skill, I hope you are not suggesting that they reached the highest levels of both at the same time or through only training for one type of shooting.

Most of the people on the list are in the shooting/training industry but even they fall victim to concepts like Hick’s Law.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think the empirical evidence shows that one can reach the highest levels of both disciplines. And, I think the route to the higest levels of defensive proficiency is through competition. I don't think the paths diverge and I don't think you sacrifice one set of skills for the sake of the other.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    After attending two ACT training sessions for USPSA I'm doing better. I'm an RO, design stages for NPCCC, Set them up, and have a front row seat for the good, bad and ugly as an RO. Coach has brought me to a higher level on breaking down a stage, what is fast and what isn't, and helped me get more A hits.

For a local match I really like to pass on the tips however, ACT USPSA training has really helped me.

Joe

Top Bottom