• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Does anyone know where I would find more info on Competitive Wood Splitting?

I know I can't be the ONLY person on the planet who loves to split wood? In fact, I enjoy it so much that I consider it a hobby. It's a great work out and a great stress reliever. Not to mention, it gets me out of the house.

Anyways........

I know Stihl hosts the Timber Sports Series where guys with fancy special made race axes go to work on pre selected soft woods and here we have the "Chop In" (I would love to get to one of these), but no one actually splits wood competitively......

My vision would be a man (or woman), their axe, maul and a wedge with a pile of wood. A time limit is set between 2 & 3 minutes where the competitor has to not only split but stack the wood. The wood is then weighed and the individual with the heaviest pile would win.

Time would be a factor but I would love to see the competition start with a tree the had just been felled and the competitor has to chop it into firewood size logs and then split it up. I know this would require more than a few minutes to have a fun contest but from a spectators perspective, I fear it would take too long.

So..... Am I alone or does anyone else know where I would find some info?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I don't think I would like to compete but I love splitting wood. I looked into some of the competitive axes and they are pretty expensive and I couldn't find any really made in America. I would love to get one though. they are amazing tools. A guy on the USN forum bought one from finland maybe and he said it was the best splitting axe he had ever had. said it was much better than the wetterlings and gransfors bruks also. Maybe one day I'll take the chance and wait the 3 weeks shipping and order one lol.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I think you would run into issues with setting a benchmark on splitting. One twisted up piece in your pile and there is no way it is an even contest.

Chainsaw guys can get much closer because they can cut cookies and because straightness of grain isn't AS much of an issue.

Best,

joe

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I don't think I would like to compete but I love splitting wood. I looked into some of the competitive axes and they are pretty expensive and I couldn't find any really made in America. I would love to get one though. they are amazing tools. A guy on the USN forum bought one from finland maybe and he said it was the best splitting axe he had ever had. said it was much better than the wetterlings and gransfors bruks also. Maybe one day I'll take the chance and wait the 3 weeks shipping and order one lol.

That is what I've found. From what I've read, race axes aren't really cut out for much other than racing. They are very thin and brittle. They make practice axes that are slightly thicker but I've read that they will still buckle under real world stress. Again, no real experience, only google smart on this one.

Regardless, like you, I would love to own one if for no other reason than to have it.

I think you would run into issues with setting a benchmark on splitting. One twisted up piece in your pile and there is no way it is an even contest.

Chainsaw guys can get much closer because they can cut cookies and because straightness of grain isn't AS much of an issue.

Best,

joe

I would agree to an extent but I would counter that the unknown and an individuals ability to overcome these road blocks are what would separate the great from the average.

If it were a huge concern, the competition could be a series where each competitor scored points at each competition and the final even of the year could be head to head event for the top two competitors.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    im of the type that twisted knot filled SOB gets split no matter how tired i get then i usually swish whiskey in a glass standing over its smoldering carcass in the wood stove.

definitly not good for comp though now if it was all oak then you could determine form power and endurance.

Top Bottom