• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew22c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Highland
    I have a glock 22c, and love the way it shoots. I seem to come across mixed reviews and want to hear from from someone that has some insight on this topic.
    edit
    :dunno:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Using proper technique, you should be able to mitigate recoil sufficiently without it. For competition purposes, there may.be an advantage, but for a defensive pistol, it is not recommended as it redirects gases towards your face when shooting from close retention.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    as a trianer I feel they are more of a novelty. Compensators do have merit on a dedicated race gun but for a defense weapon I would advice agianst it. The reason(s) are

#1 if you ever have a situation were you are locked up with a bad gu and have to make a shot happen you stand a big chance of injuring yourself with the gases etc.

#2 although the gases escaping can cause a lot of injury to you or others as far as most defensive calibers go there isn't much recoil that a proper grip won't handle so a comp is sort of a moot point.

#3 during dim light you will probably loose your ability to see the sight from the flash (and if it is a shoot out situation more chance for the BG to pinpoint you)

To each there own but I would save the comp guns for either IPSC games or the hunting field!

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I'd be concerned about flash, and being hit by blast particles when shooting the pistol from a compressed position.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Love My Glock 32C. It has a .40 barrel that came with it that is comped to, both rounds shoot like butter. I stays in my night stand with the .40 barrel, LW 9mm barrel and 3 extra mags for each round in my bug out bag.
    The main criticism I have found is shooting in the dark, this has not been an issue for me.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Glock 19c with night sights and have never had a problem in low light shooting, although I've never shot it in total darkness or in a compressed position

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    In that level of darkness you should be illuminating your target anyway and using quality defensive ammo with flash mitigating powders. The sighting issues we see with compensated guns has more to do with quickly fouling the front sight. That's really only an issue that pops up in training.

After retention shooting is when our students sell their compensated guns. They don't want to risk it in real life without eye pro. It's like having a bomb go off in your face.

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    As a novice and owner of an M&P .40 and a G22C, I like the feel of the M&P better when I hold it. The Glock has less recoil and feels better when firing. Both offer similar groupings.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    I've had two G19Cs. I like them. In a defensive situation the last thing you will be worried about is flash etc. shoot and carry what works for you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I carried an 23c for years on duty at my previous department and went through firearms instructor school with it. Loved it. Recoil was much lighter. I shot in low light and from very close retention, never a problem. Modern .40 isn't all that flashy anyway. I only got rid of it when I changed jobs and had to carry a G22.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a 17C and a 17 gen 4.

Using practice ammo for slow target shooting, the compensation/porting is only slightly noticeable.

With full powered defensive ammo in rapid fire, there is a noticeable difference to me.

I have always heard that the difference becomes more and more the higher the caliber used and the faster the shooting rate.

I have never had a problem with extra or excessive flash. Modern powders take care of a lot of that.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    21C here. I have never been convinced that .45ACP really benefits from it, but it is way cool to shoot in the dark.

Top Bottom