• ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Compact .45

I hate to say it, but it all depends... On what? Well...

1. What's your price point?
    2. How large or small are your hands?
    3. Do you have a preference between SA or DA?
    4. What's the purpose of it? (HD, SD, Fun)
    5. Do you want a low or medium mag capacity?
    6. Do you need or want a tactical rail? (for Light/Laser)
    7. How do you plan to carry? (IWB, OWB, Shoulder, Ankle)
    8. Are you looking for function or fashion (Dependable or nice and shiny with an expensive brand name*) *yes the expensive ones are also dependable they just cost more
    There's a lot to a firearm that cannot be experienced unless you hold it in your own hands and take a few shots. You won't know how it feels (i.e. balance) what the recoil is like (punchy, overwhelming), grip comfort, etc.

Like all of the other threads like this, you will get many recommendations.

So what's my suggestion? Go to a show like the 1500 and hold every possible .45 or other caliber handgun you can and see what feels right.. Then come back with your top three or five favorites (that again fit in your price range) and ask your question again.

For me, I'm a huge Taurus fan. Why? For me it answers all 8 of the questions above and it feels great in my hands. Oh, and with the savings over the high priced guns, I'm still able to purchase ammo :):

I love my PT1911 .45,
    my PT24/7 Pro DS 9mm and
    my PT24/7 Pro CDS 9mm.

My :twocents:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This is my all time favorite gun and my main carry gun. It has worked 100% out of the box for over 3 yrs now without issue. Great carry size, weight, & very accurate. I carry it in a Milt Sparks IWB #1 Heritage holster.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II

Kimber_Badge_011-1.jpg

+1 on the Kimber 3". My wife carries a Ultra CDPII in .45.
    Single stack so it's slim. Smooth as a baby's butt.

You do however need to remember to change the recoil spring at recommended intervals. I think it's a couple 1000 rds.. They are a 2 stage
    spring. You can get the assemblies with new guide rod and springs installed
    for I think about $35.00 or $40 from midway or kimber.

I have a Kimber Eclipse 4" officer. The springs are not as expensive but are
    recommended to be changed at 800 rds.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I know the title says .45 ACP, but your main post doesn't. Glock 38 is a possible answer. .45ACP ballistics, same size as a G19/23. Perfect.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock 36. Roughly the same height, length and capacity as an Officers-sized 1911, but lighter and thinner. I carried one daily for a couple years; it concealed almost as easily as my Kahr P9, which only holds one more round of a much smaller caliber.

Roubenbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I too have the PT145 and really like it. It is very small but still easily holdable. For a 6'1" 250lbs guy anyways. But deff try out a few and see what you like and can afford.
    SideView.jpg

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    With added advantage that 45 GAP ammo is one of the few loads you can currently find on the shelves here and there because no one wants it. ;)

Damn right. My dad and I found 8 boxes of ammo on the shelves at the Lafayette Sportsman's Warehouse which was almost completely cleaned out. He told me everyone at the 1500 had GAP ammo. And you can reload it with standard .45 dies.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Quote monke-3434
    springfield champion....i have a lw model. love it, no complaints at all. just my 1/50th of a dollar
    I second that motion. My son, Epsylum, started out as a fan of the Glock 21 until he started shooting 1911s. Sold the Glocks. His fav' carry gun (and now mine) is a SA Lightweight Champion Operator in a Blade-Tech IWB. Yes, it sounds bulky but I have found it to just disappear when you put it on with a good heavy belt. Love the Champion Operator too. Very accurate and dependable. An 8 rd. mag plus one in the pipe of 230 gr. HST (+P) should handle most any self defense situation the avarage Joe would get into.
    The Operator version comes with a light rail and tritium night sights too. Perfect for SD work.

Top Bottom