• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Whats the thoughts on the compact 1911's. I am looking at the Kimber compact and the Springfield armory compacts. I see Springfield has a Compact in the GI model in a nice price range. I also found a Springfield loaded with the XML light for around $1050. Is the difference in the two worth the extra ~$500.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have read many opinions stating that 1911s with barrels <4in are more prone to problems. my only experience with a non-government is my Colt Commander(4.25 in). and i love it.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber Compact 1911's have a 4" barrel, their Ultra models have the 3" barrel.

I've never had a problem with my Kimber Tactical Ultra II, carry's, shoots, handles great. I would love to get one of their Compact models in the future (especially the CDP Compact).

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I recently purchased a Citadel 1911 Compact, I have no issues with it, I fired about 300 rounds so far (Just got it) No problems! 450 out the door...

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I have a couple of compacts. My Kimber Ultra CDP eats anything and everything and never fails (knock on wood). My RIA Compact doesn't like some of the self-defense rounds that have a very blunt and rounded nose - but that is a feed ramp problem. Since it handles federal hydra-shoks very well, the other rounds are not a issue.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    As between the Kimber and the Springer, I would buy the Springer every time. This is because all new Kimbers have the damn FPS while the Springers stick to the original design.

For a good explanation of the difference between Springer's GI line and its Loaded line, try the company website: Springfield Armory

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a RIA Compact and have no trouble with feed issues. I put around 300 to 400 rounds through it so far and that includes a bunch of Speer Gold Dot 230g SD rounds. The only issue I had with those was if I eased the slide forward instead of letting it come forward unassisted. When I let the gun do the work, it works without a problem at all. Even the ones it did not load cleanly when I eased the slide forward were during the first 50 rounds fired. I love the RIA Compact and use it as my daily carry gun now.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I had a SA Champion a little while back. Nice looking 1911, but not very reliable. Found someone that wanted it more than me.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    i have read many opinions stating that 1911s with barrels <4in are more prone to problems. my only experience with a non-government is my Colt Commander(4.25 in). and i love it.

That used to be the case, but not any more. The use of duel captive springs and increasing the tilt angle of the barrel has fixed the questionable reliability of officer size 1911's.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    One of the older ones?

No idea. But it was this gun...

IMG_2984.jpg

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have a Kimber Compact (series 1) that has been a wonderful gun and is my primary carry. The gun is reliable, has a trigger that breaks like glass, and is scary accurate.

I'd be leery of a Springfield Comact based upon my experience with a new Mil-Spec that is no where close to being the shooter my Kimber Compact is. In comparison, my Mil-spec's reliability is worse, trigger pull is twice that of the Kimber, and accuracy is sorely lacking.

I'm no fan of the swartz either, but I'd still purchase the Kimber over the Springfield. The swartz can always be removed or disabled.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Both Springfield and Kimber are great choices. I have two "Smaller" 45's. A Colt Officer's ACP that after a feed ramp polishing 20 years ago has been flawless. My new Kimber Pro TLE II has been great. I have 400 rounds and I have been extremely impressed. Like many of us at INGO, I have many pistols. This Kimber is one of my favorites. You won't get any bias from me, Springfields are great weapons also.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This is my daily carry. I have had zero problems. It eats everything I've given it and is extremely accurate, more so than I am.
    EMP.jpg

Top Bottom