• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This is a simple situation to solve. Big Dick needs to go, so we the voters tell the GOP that he isn't a conservative and we will pull all financial and legislative support if they keep him. If they side with him instead of the political view they claim then they need to go also. So we contact the Libertarian party to run a candidate that will represent the voters and the constitutions of both the state and the US. And then WE start the grass roots campain. Even if all we accomplish is to give the seat to a Dem, then we will have won. I would rather my enimies wear their own colours than those of my allies.

How about finding someone to run against him in the primaries and HIM/HER our support instead of putting in someone younger and probably even more liberal that will be even harder to pry out of office.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seriously, anyone who thinks for even one second that the GOP is going to repudiate Lugar is delusional. They are going to continue to support him and marginalise anyone who even dares to go against him. You can write all the letters in the world and it will do no good. Unless he chooses to quit, he will remain in office until retirement. The GOP is not going to lend support to any candidate that chooses to run against him and will actively stand against that person. The Indiana GOP stands for the status quo and will not stand for any grass roots change unless they are behind it. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but that's just the way things are.

If you want to unseat him you're going to have to do it with no help from the GOP.

I have friends in politics, and as much as I hate to admit it, this is the true state of affairs. Any effort to remove Lugar will have to be a grass roots effort. You'll get no substantive help from the IN GOP.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I have friends in politics, and as much as I hate to admit it, this is the true state of affairs. Any effort to remove Lugar will have to be a grass roots effort. You'll get no substantive help from the IN GOP.

You don't need it. Almost noone gets any help from the state party. They don't have money, candidates are expected to and have to raise their own money. That's the way it's always been.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    How about finding someone to run against him in the primaries and HIM/HER our support instead of putting in someone younger and probably even more liberal that will be even harder to pry out of office.

There was a time that the Republican party actually had the conservative values that they still claim. Goldwater sought to protect the constitution, and establish a fiscally responsible government, and despite all the talk I have yet to see that from the GOP on a national level. The GOP is now a part of the problem, and seeing a Dem take Dicks seat wont be any change at all.

So revisiting my argument, if your party will not listen to you, will not represent you, will not stand for their princibles then why would you support them? This isn't the USSR, joining a party isn't a suicide pact.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Seriously, anyone who thinks for even one second that the GOP is going to repudiate Lugar is delusional. They are going to continue to support him and marginalise anyone who even dares to go against him. You can write all the letters in the world and it will do no good. Unless he chooses to quit, he will remain in office until retirement. The GOP is not going to lend support to any candidate that chooses to run against him and will actively stand against that person. The Indiana GOP stands for the status quo and will not stand for any grass roots change unless they are behind it. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but that's just the way things are.

If you want to unseat him you're going to have to do it with no help from the GOP. Attempts to "work from within" are wasted time and effort. Better to start your own movement outside of that framework or within the framework of existing 3rd party movements. Start Facebook groups, Myspace groups and raise funds to support any oposition to Lugar. If you want him out you're going to have to do it yourselves.

+1

Having been a GOP Delegate for my district last year, I can vouch for that. The GOP is completely committed to the status quo, and if you're not in the Old Boy Network, then you're an outsider. If you're an outsider, they will expend considerable time and effort to ensure you STAY outside.

You have no idea how pissed off the Party leadership was that Greg Zoeller won the nomination over their hand-picked stooge, Jon Costas, for State AG.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Looking at this long term, Lugar has voted with the Democrats so many times that I see no downside to voting for the Democrat candidate next time he's up for reelection.. And as a first termer instead of a firmly-entrenched encumbant, a newby Democrat might be easier to defeat later with a truly conservative Republican candidate.

:patriot:

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Pence should be Presdent, I've told him that to his face and would help him run with $ and time.

He was very helpful to me and my family in Washington, and he is not even my Congressman.

His time will come

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    There was a time that the Republican party actually had the conservative values that they still claim. Goldwater sought to protect the constitution, and establish a fiscally responsible government, and despite all the talk I have yet to see that from the GOP on a national level. The GOP is now a part of the problem, and seeing a Dem take Dicks seat wont be any change at all.

So revisiting my argument, if your party will not listen to you, will not represent you, will not stand for their princibles then why would you support them? This isn't the USSR, joining a party isn't a suicide pact.

Actually, joining the Libertarians IS a suicide pact. When has your party actually displaced any sitting Congressional candidate? Giving the Democrats a greater Senate majority is a suicide pact. No one listens to the Republican state party leadership. You do not need them. Why are you worried about those hacks. Whenever they try to strongarm the county chairmen, like in the Zoeller race, they get a backlash from the grassroots. The state party has no money, and can not keep a candidate out of the primary. After a candidate is in the primary, it's our job to get him nominated. Always has been, and will be for the foreseeable future. All this naysaying and ignorance of how the party works is the reason Lugar has remained all these too many years. Hopefully, the old b*****d will retire (he'll be 80 in 2012) mooting this discussion.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . Lugar has voted with the Democrats so many times that I see no downside to voting for the Democrat candidate next time he's up for reelection. . .

I understand completely. However, the majority party does get all the committee chairs and has some other significant procedural advantages.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I think Pence really likes his spot in the House, and I think I've heard him on Garrison say he would prefer to stay in the House with his "tenure". He wants to stay where the money's originally spent. To go to the Senate would also mean he starts from zero again.

But Becky Skillman, now THAT'S an interesting direction, and she could be well situated for running for either Senate seat. That would be well worth getting behind.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hmm... You would think the Indiana Tea Party would want to be involved in fielding primary challengers. I don't see anything going on there.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Hmm... You would think the Indiana Tea Party would want to be involved in fielding primary challengers. I don't see anything going on there.

The Tea Party cannot support individual candidates. It's not a PAC.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That's not a bad idea. He might be persuaded to do that if he does not run for pres./vice pres. next time.

That might just work, but you'd have to convince the bum to start paying taxes... He'd have to be CRAZY to go for that deal!!! :laugh:

Top Bottom