• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you have a bounce back will your $80 glasses protect your eyes? [FONT=&amp]When it comes to shooting glasses I will only use polycarbon as I want the best protection I can get covering my eyes. Take a old pair of the glasses and shoot with a .22 and see what happens. Standard lens will shatter which will put plastic or glass in your eyes.[/FONT]

I need the quality lens. I wear protective over shooting glasses. They cover more around the eyes.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What I understand polycarbonate is the strongest saftey lens out there right now.

Oh, there could be an argument made for another couple materials being polycarbonate's equal, but yeah, basically.

The limits of safety have a great deal to do with the FRAME design, and with some of the worst ones, a LOT more than it does the tensile strength of the material. Many frames (basically ALL opthalmics) will let the lens just blow right through without transferring much of the energy to the frame itself.

I need the quality lens. I wear protective over shooting glasses. They cover more around the eyes.

Spike, do you realize that by wearing plastic safety glasses OVER your quality lens you are ERASING the quality of that lens? You're putting a POS chunk of molded plastic pop-bottle in front of an $80 lens...

Why don't you next time look into a pair of dedicated safety frames into which you can install those expensive lenses?

I'm not telling you what to do, and I agree with your ideas about side and top/bottom coverage of the safety frames, but you're kidding yourself if you think optical quality of your corrective lenses matters much.

-Nate

Top Bottom