• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    IMHO the shotgun has no equal when it comes to dealing with most of the problems people will encounter.

Even though my agency issued Remington 870s I decided to buy my own Mossberg 590 and never looked back. The two main reasons were the ambi safety and the Ghost Ring sights. At the time we did not have any rifles so I saw the need to be able to reach out with slugs and felt comfortable doing so off hand out to 100 yards.

After being involved in a shooting with my shotgun I soon after added a Surefire forend. I think this should be the first thing you put on your shotgun if you want to add anything. It is costly and I believe worth every penny especially if used professionally or for home defense.

After seeing how 00 buck failed to penetrate heavy winter clothing I began loading only slugs and hand buckshot and bird shot on the side saddle. The bird shot was for small critters I had to put down. On my SWAT vest I had bean bag rounds and breaching rounds. I did it all with one gun. This is not something I would advise for everyone or for an SOP but it worked for me on several occasions. The way I did it was to download all lethal ammo in front of the team leader, he checked the gun and I reloaded with bean bag rounds. This worked well during one situation in which I shot someone with a bean bag round. This just goes to show the versatility of the shotgun as a platform.

When I started at my agency we qualified with pistols out to 25 yards and with the shotgun using 00 Buck out to 15 yards. Then we were given four slugs to fire at 25 yards but the patrol shotguns you could draw out were only loaded with 00 Buck and no slugs were available. When I mentioned ot the Chief that if I had to set up a perimeter past 15 yards I could only uses my pistol he gave me that Chief look and then allowed me to issue slugs to guys who had a clue.

The shotgun is like Daddy's tractor, very kewl, kinda scary and you don't really know what to do with it. But once you learn you develop a grear appreciation for it.

While doing the police thing I had a single points sling because it worked well with my nylon ninja stuff. Now that I am no longer a foot soldier in the war on crime I am back to use a good old fashioned two point sling, side mounted because of the light. As an instructor I believe this is the best option. One and three points slings for typical good guy use will only leave you with black and blue well you know, that shotgun bounces all over the place.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I love the shotgun. The handling of it is very misunderstood. I did all my work with a Mossy 590 with a 20 inch barrel. While working I had the opportunity to fire OO buck, a bean bag round, bird shot and breaching rounds (all real world events) and worked in and out for cars, trailers, houses and hotel rooms. There is much more to working with one than just being able to fire rounds. You need to be a a position to be able to fire those rounds.

For most people the shotty is a HD weapon, yet at the range you don't walk around shooting it in your shower shoes and your tighty whity's. Handling a shotgun in doors and not banging it all over the place takes time. Hope to have dates for the class soon.- George

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    After seeing how 00 buck failed to penetrate heavy winter clothing I began loading only slugs and hand buckshot and bird shot on the side saddle.

Hey George, I must say I am surprised that OO buck did not penetrate winter clothing. Do you have any more info on this? What load? Do you think this was a fluke or a common occurrence?

Do you have a class outline you could send me for your shotgun class? Do you incorporate any of the CAR shotgun techniques?

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It was a leather biker jacket over a jean jacket. More or less a ball hitting a sheet. He was laying on the ground so it was also kinda like skip shooting. I am working on the outline now.- George

Top Bottom