Columbus Resident requests Noise Ordinance due to neighbor shooting too much..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    How about we use this as an opportunity to move suppressors to Title I like that loony attorney in Lafayette has been frothing at the mouth over for decades?

How about a resolution from the City of Columbus urging the United Congress to move suppressors from Title II to Title I (with federal preemption) for the sake of public health and the enjoyment of everyone's propoerty?

Aw man just think about all the assassinations that would take place if that happened. After all we know suppressors are the tools of killers and have no other legitimate use.

I actually purchased my first one this year. Still waiting on the approval. I purchased one because I had some new city yuppy's move in near me a few years ago. The moving van hadn't even left their drive when they started whining and calling the police. I have a berm, never shoot early, late, on Sundays ect and never for a long time at once. Busy bodies make me sick.

Hoping to someday be able to walk in my local shop and buy a suppressor. Good common sense IMO.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Abolish the NFA.

Buying a suppressor should be no different from buying a muffler. The NFA is a danger to public health in more ways than one.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In Columbus if he has enough money or knows the right people he will get his BS ordinance. IM not bashing Columbus, it's a great town, great people. But I do think it's a little more old boys club, then most towns in central Indiana. I cant remember the guys name, but he owns a ton of land in town, like the Denny's(closed now) and the place next to it. I've heard some amazing stories about him and what he is allowed to do/get away with, and he is on the town counsel I believe.

Re-read the article. This incident was in western Bartholomew County, not in the City of Columbus.
    Columbus has a City Council, not a "town counsel", and it has nothing to do with the county outside the city limits.
    The comment about "old boys club" almost made me point out that our current mayor is a female. Then, again, there seems to be some question about that. :rolleyes:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looking for property/house now and it would be ideal if I could find land where I could shoot and have enough room to build a decent range...

Have to see if I can find one and if it's in my budget though.

That said - a couple hours every couple weeks is no big deal imho. If it were all day every day I could see the complaint but an ordinance... really?

It becomes a case of one not being tolerant and one not being respectful. Works with fireworks too. And a whole lot of other things. Thumping basses in cars, straight pipes on bikes, etc, etc.

I would have no problem with people shooting around me. That is being tolerant. For me to continue to be tolerant would require some respect on the shooters part by say, not shooting until midnight on a weekday when I have to get up at 0400.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    or happen to be a diesel manufacturer....you can do whatever you want in Columbus/Bartholomew County.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Gustav. If it weren't for Cummins (especially during J. Irwin Miller's stewardship), Columbus would be just another North Vernon, Greensburg, or Brownstown. "Dance with the one what brung ya."

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Kagnew,
    "The comment about "old boys club" almost made me point out that our current mayor is a female. Then, again, there seems to be some question about that. :rolleyes:"

What,pray tell, would motivate you to say something like that?? It's vitriolic, at best.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Kagnew,
    "The comment about "old boys club" almost made me point out that our current mayor is a female. Then, again, there seems to be some question about that. :rolleyes:"

What,pray tell, would motivate you to say something like that?? It's vitriolic, at best.

De devil made me do it! :whistle:

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Wake up and smell the coffee, Gustav. If it weren't for Cummins (especially during J. Irwin Miller's stewardship), Columbus would be just another North Vernon, Greensburg, or Brownstown. "Dance with the one what brung ya."
    Kagnew,

I was once told by my BIL who lives in Columbus...."the only difference between N. Vernon and Columbus is that N. Vernnon KNOWS it's a small town".

I guess lots of people like Columbus. It has just always seemed WAY to PC for me. Lots of money spent on (ugly) architecture and social engineering. To each his own. If your happy there...that's all that is important.

-G

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Kagnew,

I was once told by my BIL who lives in Columbus...."the only difference between N. Vernon and Columbus is that N. Vernnon KNOWS it's a small town".

I guess lots of people like Columbus. It has just always seemed WAY to PC for me. Lots of money spent on (ugly) architecture and social engineering. To each his own. If your happy there...that's all that is important.

-G

Thanks, Gustav. I was hoping for your approval. Now I can forget about moving to Scipio. ;)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It becomes a case of one not being tolerant and one not being respectful. Works with fireworks too. And a whole lot of other things. Thumping basses in cars, straight pipes on bikes, etc, etc.

I live in a subdivision at the edge of town. Far enough away from the highway to not have that noise. I have two homes behind me with straight pipe Harleys. They seem to make a lot of short trips, as they come and go often. Another guy with a stickshift Chevy truck winds it out until the glasspacks pop every time he leaves the stop sign, even though he is a soccer mom driving little girls to school and dance practice. Another guy has a diesel truck with a huge stack, and he likes to drive against the overspeed limiter so the turbo sings and he leaves a big plume of smoke from the stack. At least the Harleys and the trucks eventually go past and leave. The two boys with the booming car stereos just sit there rattling the neighborhood. None of these issues get any attention from the local police, which is funny to me as I paid a couple of "excessive noise" and "improper start" tickets as a teen. (those old school Mickey Thompson tires would really squeal when you were spinning them) Todays societal standards has deemed that we have to tolerate these annoyances.

If it involves shooting sports, even people that have to stand on their roof and cup their hand to their ears to hear, are considered victims. A couple of subdivisions were built near the Howard County Izaak Walton league, where they have a range for shotgun sports. They have a time limit in the evening to stop shooting, and they do, so they are trying to be good neighbors. I had a local man getting bent out of shape, that we were "ruining the quality of his life in his expensive home". I went to the man's house on skeet league night. You could not hear anything from the inside of his house. From his elevated upper deck you could hear shots in a distance, but it never was loud enough to upset quiet conversation. Passing traffic on 200 east was louder than the shots. Even though the Izaak Walton was there for years before his subdivision, he still though we should not be able to shoot.
    Oh, and by the way, the man drives a 3/4 ton Dodge 4 wheel drive....with dual glass packs......

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I live in Columbus and as I am to understand we already have an ordinance against dischargine of firearms in city limits? If that is the case then a noise ordinance wouldnt help this guy one bit...

You are correct. There is an ordinance against ordnance.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    The enthusiast should just make it a habit of starting his sessions off by hitting 2lbs of Tannerite like a fireworks show does with an artillery round as a courtesy, ya know? This will allow the neighbor to either leave for two hours or put on his ear pro.

I had to LOL at this. I just shot a couple of 2 lbs the other day. Quite impressive.. I scared amish horses for about 2 miles around. :)

Top Bottom