• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, I hope they pass it. It's going to cost them a fortune in damages from the many many lawsuits.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You would think someone in the room when they were cooking up this crap would say, "Hey, why don't we ask one of the lawyers on the payroll if this is remotely legal." No, of course not. If the US Constitution is viewed as an obstacle, state laws are irrelevant.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So. If you live in Columbus and fall into the category that must register and fail to will police officers enforce it or will they refuse?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Last time I checked an ordinance can't be above the "infraction" level. You can get a ticket for it, but nothing worse.

Also, it would fall on city police to perform these "ordinance" violations not county.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Intersting. I work in Columbus, but live in Seymour. Sounds like an impromptu peaceful INGO get together is in order to attend this event.

I'm not surprised to see this come up, as Columbus has a lot of very liberal, high powered people that are influential in the community (although many don't actually live in Columbus, or even Barth Co). My employer begrudgingly complied with the "parking lot" bill although put in some policy that is still debatable if it actually complies or not. , just as I'm not surprised that Columbus is very involved in some of the debates on same-sex marriage at the State House.

ETA...the NRA-ILA is the only source I can find this info. I've not found anything on the Columbus city websites, or in the newspaper. Does anyone have another link to confirm this is in fact on the agenda? Not questioning the NRA-ILA, but wonder if this may be "old news" even though the date is accurate. I would think that an issue like this would require a certain amount of public notice.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Interesting...I guess we shouldn't be surprised from the city council that outlawed BB guns. As conservative as this town is...but lots of liberals with money in town I guess.

So is having a dealer of second hand guns register the guns with a service...I'm just wondering 2 things. 1) Is that really registration? Its not like it is telling citizens of columbus to go register their guns...and 2) What are they hoping to do? Find guns used in crimes?

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting...I guess we shouldn't be surprised from the city council that outlawed BB guns. As conservative as this town is...but lots of liberals with money in town I guess.

So is having a dealer of second hand guns register the guns with a service...I'm just wondering 2 things. 1) Is that really registration? Its not like it is telling citizens of columbus to go register their guns...and 2) What are they hoping to do? Find guns used in crimes?

By "dealer of second hand guns" they may be trying to cast a broad net and include citizens. A retail dealer requires an FFL, and while they don't have to "register" their firearms they do keep a bound book of inventory and transactions that does contain that information.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Intersting. I work in Columbus, but live in Seymour. Sounds like an impromptu peaceful INGO get together is in order to attend this event.

I'm not surprised to see this come up, as Columbus has a lot of very liberal, high powered people that are influential in the community (although many don't actually live in Columbus, or even Barth Co). My employer begrudgingly complied with the "parking lot" bill although put in some policy that is still debatable if it actually complies or not. , just as I'm not surprised that Columbus is very involved in some of the debates on same-sex marriage at the State House.

ETA...the NRA-ILA is the only source I can find this info. I've not found anything on the Columbus city websites, or in the newspaper. Does anyone have another link to confirm this is in fact on the agenda? Not questioning the NRA-ILA, but wonder if this may be "old news" even though the date is accurate. I would think that an issue like this would require a certain amount of public notice.
    I can't find another source either. I like to "cross-reference" stuff like this.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

[COLOR=#"800080"]I am sure that the ordinance is intended to track guns for sale to non proper persons.[/COLOR]

But the way I read it if you posted your guns here, arms list gunbroker and etc. You would have to register if you live in Columbus

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    [COLOR#"800080"]I am sure that the ordinance is intended to track guns for sale to non proper persons.[/COLOR]

But the way I read it if you posted your guns here, arms list gunbroker and etc. You would have to register if you live in Columbus

If I lived in Columbus I would post a few things for sale on here and let them know about it and dare them to come ticket me.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I just emailed all of the reps and mayor. Only one response thus far:

Thanks for your email. I have been against this proposed ordinance since the first discussion and presentation by CPD(with mayors endorsement). My vote will be nay.
    Frank Miller

We will see what the rest have to say.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the information...that confirms its 'real'...and flying VERY low on the radar. I suspect the Republic will post something about it Monday or tuesday if they follow suite with their normal 'oh by the way they're talking about this'.

Disclaimer: I don't the daily paper...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Thanks for the information...that confirms its 'real'...and flying VERY low on the radar. I suspect the Republic will post something about it Monday or tuesday if they follow suite with their normal 'oh by the way they're talking about this'.

Disclaimer: I don't the daily paper...

Unlikely. The Republic and Johnson County Daily Journal are owned and operated by the same liberal anti-gun folks. If anything I'd look for an editorial praising hizzoner da mayor and the local CPD brainiacs for coming up with such a stupid idea.

Top Bottom