• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Smoke / Mirrors / Stirring the media.......that's all that is.

The only way the Colts draft Luck (or any first round QB) is if Manning's career is completely over.

If Manning is going to play the next few years, no way Luck wants to sit as backup. He's a projected first rounder and an NFL rookie starter. If drafted by the Colts with a a healthy Manning, he'd hold out and force a trade.

I just don't see it being a prudent move.

Of course, if Manning is done.......

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    but remember aaron rodgers....he sat behind favre for a while, and look how good he is now..maybe if the timing is right, we can pull off that same trick..have luck study under manning for a while, then when manning retires we wont have to suck forever waiting for another decent qb. that would be pretty cool. but then again ur right, with lucks rep. why would he want to sit on the bench in indy :(

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Aaron Rodgers was not the number 1 overall, I think he went in the mid 20's. The colts have already been through the Elway fiasco do they really want another one, and tick Peyton off at the same time?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

The only way the Colts draft Luck (or any first round QB) is if Manning's career is completely over.

If Manning is going to play the next few years, no way Luck wants to sit as backup. He's a projected first rounder and an NFL rookie starter. If drafted by the Colts with a a healthy Manning, he'd hold out and force a trade.

The way the Colts organization is, I think you just might be right. Even with a semi healthy Manning I don't see them realizing the need for a quality backup that will eventually take over. They'll probably end up drafting a couple more Bob Sanders and over the course of the careers pay them to spend more time on the training table and in street clothes than in a uniform.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    y not try to get the best qb to come out of college in who knows how long...its pretty evident now how important that one position is. just look at the colts without manning. so say we dont get luck and manning ends up hurt again. then we have to rely on collins and painter agian? plus only a couple more years till manning retires...i say get luck while u can and plan for the future...there will always be more defensive players and postition players u can get in later drafts or trade for...but luck may be the best opportunity for a star qb after peyton.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I think the big question is if Indy can afford Luck. The Colts are already 7-8 million over the cap now. If Manning comes back they owe him somewhere around 28 million. Where do they get the 15-20 million that it will take to get Luck? They already need serious help with their secondary, interior D line, and at running back. Not to mention some quality back ups for various positions. With Saturday already the second oldest O lineman in the NFL, they need to start looking for help there, also. IMO they would be much better off trading the first pick, if they get it, for more picks father down in the draft.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    ..its pretty evident now how important that one position is. just look at the colts without manning.....

You know the Colts are missing more than just Manning right now....right? :D

I think Painter did a fine job on Sunday. He threw for 277 yards and 2 TDs, 0 INTs and wasn't sacked. He had a respectable passer rating of 115.8 (higher than both Brady and Brees). It is only his 2nd "real" start with all of the healthy Colts starters on the field. I think that overall, he did a fine job.

The problem on Sunday was that the defense fell apart with 1 minute to go int he first half and never really came back into the game after that.

They can try and get Luck....but I don't think he will sit behind Manning for 2 or 3 years, let alone 4 or 5. I just say, keep developing Painter. He's only in his 3rd year and he's only had 2 real starts. In Mannings 2nd start (week 2 1998) he threw for 188 yards and 1 TD, 3 INTs and 2 sacks in a 29-6 loss to the Patriots.

Luck might be "the best QB in college".....but let's not look past the potential that we have now. There is a lot more going on than just Painter starting for Manning.....we are missing a lot of players....Manning is just the most high profile.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    THe D will fall apart with the O not having any significant time of possession.
    They did a great job in the first half until the O quit moving the ball. After that it was just a matter of time with the D being on the field over 2/3rd of the time of possession.
    The bottom line is that the Colts are out of healthy bodies. Plain and simple.
    We're starting practice squad members and free agents that have never seen a Colts playbook until a few days before the game they're about to s tart.
    Grab Luck or another high quality QB when you've got the chance. Manning is probably only good for 3 years and 5 max IF things go perfect for him.
    You've got to take the best available talent when possible. O line seems to be a major concern and it doesn't matter who's under center.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    No way you can speculate that there won't be another quality QB when Manning retires. Those players are still in high school.

Aaron Rogers was a different situation. First off, he wasn't the number one pick. Secondly, he sat backup with the understanding that it was for one year. Then Favre decided to play ONE more year, so Rogers waited patiently. Then Favre....well you know the story. You can't really say Rogers is so good because he sat behind Favre for a few years. He may have been very good his rookie year starting in KC or Tampa. You never know.

I'll bet during that third year of sitting backup he was wishing he'd been drafted somewhere else.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy

I agree. I also think that Luck would probably pull an Eli Manning and demand to be traded immediately if he was drafted to sit.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    You know the Colts are missing more than just Manning right now....right? :DQUOTE]

This may be true...but all i was saying is that if your goin to build your team around one person and hope they can carry you to a superbowl then luck is your best shot...odds of finding someone better even 5 years from now arent very high. i agree with them having more problems but even if they fix the othre issues they have they still wont win a superbowl with out the qb spot being filled, not just occupied with painter. on the other hand im a falcons fan so if the colts end up sucking in the future thats just one less team i have to worry about stopping the falcons. i do like the colts though.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If the Colts do end up with the first overall pick they are going to pick Luck. You dont think that Polian and Irsay arent thinking of the future? Polian has over a billion dollars wrapped up in the Colts. He is fully aware that Mannings career is winding down and that if they have no backup plan they will not keep the fan base around long term.

He is too smart to pass up on a chance to get the future. I also think the Manning/Favre comparisons are foolish. They are not the same people, Manning has too much respect for the Colts, the fans, and the NFL to hang on until he is 40 and deteriorate. He is not going to chase stats like Favre did.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    If the Colts do end up with the first overall pick they are going to pick Luck. You dont think that Polian and Irsay arent thinking of the future? Polian has over a billion dollars wrapped up in the Colts. He is fully aware that Mannings career is winding down and that if they have no backup plan they will not keep the fan base around long term.

He is too smart to pass up on a chance to get the future. I also think the Manning/Favre comparisons are foolish. They are not the same people, Manning has too much respect for the Colts, the fans, and the NFL to hang on until he is 40 and deteriorate. He is not going to chase stats like Favre did.

couldnt have said that much better myself. i dont get why people think they should pass up on the best thing to come out of the draft in years? doesnt make any sense to me!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    couldnt have said that much better myself. i dont get why people think they should pass up on the best thing to come out of the draft in years? doesnt make any sense to me!

It doesn't make any sense but neither does their record of not drafting quality backups. They could have gotten better than Sorgi and didn't. Could have gotten better than Painter but didn't. You CAN'T put everything on one player to be your whole season.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Luck is another Ryan Leaf waiting to be discovered. If the Colts are smart, they'll go after Boise State's McKellen. For those that that have watched Boise play this year, their offense id near identical to the Colts under Manning(shotgun), and McKellen delivers on a dime

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Luck is another Ryan Leaf waiting to be discovered. If the Colts are smart, they'll go after Boise State's McKellen. For those that that have watched Boise play this year, their offense id near identical to the Colts under Manning(shotgun), and McKellen delivers on a dime

They won't go for either (which I mostly agree about Luck). The Colts will either draft an O-Lineman that can't get up to NFL speed or will draft an injury plagued or straight up bust DB or linebacker. It would probably be best to work a trade to try to get into 2 1st rounders towards the middle of the round...but they won't. If you think about it, Manning was given a large 5 year contract. Unless Waterhead can't physically play, he'll be on the field for at least 4 of those years. Paying off a #1 1st round pick's contract while never having him on the field would be retarded...then again, it almost sounds like what the Colts would do. But it is dumb to be thinking a great college QB is going to automatically transition into a quality pro.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

You mean Kellen Moore. I think they have a McKellen on the other side of the ball. I watched a little bit of last weeks game against Fresno. The Moore kid looked good and his season stat line is consistent with that game.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You mean Kellen Moore. I think they have a McKellen on the other side of the ball. I watched a little bit of last weeks game against Fresno. The Moore kid looked good and his season stat line is consistent with that game.

Yeah, that guy

Top Bottom