• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    But he's a unicorn with a concussion right now. He can't keep doing that.
    I agree he shouldn't be running as much as he has been but having that ability is going to be a big part of his game. He needs to learn how to protect himself better when he runs. He didn't appear to try to prepare himself at all for the hit that gave him the concussion. He needs to learn how to better take a hit, how to avoid a hit and when to go down or out of bounds.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree he shouldn't be running as much as he has been but having that ability is going to be a big part of his game. He needs to learn how to protect himself better when he runs. He didn't appear to try to prepare himself at all for the hit that gave him the concussion. He needs to learn how to better take a hit, how to avoid a hit and when to go down or out of bounds.
    Exactly. Know when to slide or slip out of bounds.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe it’s mostly because they have a rookie quarterback, but Reich’s offense is struggling tonight against the Saints. Seeing a lot of the same stuff that didn’t have great success in Indy.
    Maybe he can grow, but I think the issue is just that Frank Reich, while an absolutely amazing human being, simply isn't a good head coach.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    “They could always go “next man up,” pushing everyone on the depth chart north a spot and adding someone young and cheap to the bottom of the stack. Jerome Ford made a solid case for that last night, gaining 106 rushing yards.“

“They could try to sign Kareem Hunt, who has a recent history with the Browns — and who remains available. His price has been a little high, however, or he’d already be on a team.”

“Then there’s the Jonathan Taylor option. The Colts and their star running back continue to be at contractual loggerheads. With no other team willing to give both the team what it wants and the player what he wants, the Browns could channel their urgency in the direction of Indianapolis and do a deal.”

“Making such a move would, as a practical matter, end Chubb’s tenure with the team. He’s due to receive a non-guaranteed salary of $11.775 million in 2024; that money would go to Taylor.”

The talking heads still don't seem to realize that the Colts have no interest in trading Jonathan Taylor.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Doubtful that Richardson plays on Sunday

In theory, he still has time to get his no-contact practice today and his full-contact practice tomorrow, allowing him to clear the protocol.

But, yeah, it is unlikely. He needed to practice yesterday for there to be a likely shot of him playing Sunday.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Slide or slip out of bounds, at the goal line in the middle of the field?
    Slide yes. Look, I'm not being negative here. You are acting like I insulted you personally. I assure you that's not the case. I want him (the team needs him) to stay healthy. Hopefully he'll learn to protect himself and still continue to make plays.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Slide yes. Look, I'm not being negative here. You are acting like I insulted you personally. I assure you that's not the case. I want him (the team needs him) to stay healthy. Hopefully he'll learn to protect himself and still continue to make plays.
    Slide? At the goal line? Give up a touchdown? :scratch:

Nobody does that. Nobody would do that. Nobody should do that.

(Peyton Manning did it once, because in that specific situation, sliding allowed him to run out the clock on the opponent at the end of the game, thereby sealing the win.)

I'm not sure where the personal insult angle came from? I'm merely challenging the assertion that, on the play that AR got concussed, he could - or should - have done anything differently.

The DB made a borderline unnecessarily rough hit - a high, helmet-to-helmet desperation shot that had no chance of preventing the score, at high speed, that caused AR to hit the ground with his head. It was a bang-bang play, but not one in which AR could have really done anything different. Maybe he learns to absorb that hit differently? I don't know.

But I disagree 100% with the assertion that he should have slid at the goal line.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Slide? At the goal line? Give up a touchdown? :scratch:

Nobody does that. Nobody would do that. Nobody should do that.

(Peyton Manning did it once, because in that specific situation, sliding allowed him to run out the clock on the opponent at the end of the game, thereby sealing the win.)

I'm not sure where the personal insult angle came from? I'm merely challenging the assertion that, on the play that AR got concussed, he could - or should - have done anything differently.

The DB made a borderline unnecessarily rough hit - a high, helmet-to-helmet desperation shot that had no chance of preventing the score, at high speed, that caused AR to hit the ground with his head. It was a bang-bang play, but not one in which AR could have really done anything different. Maybe he learns to absorb that hit differently? I don't know.

But I disagree 100% with the assertion that he should have slid at the goal line.
    Fair enough. Perhaps he couldn't have done anything about that particular hit, but if he's going to be a running QB (nothing wrong with that), I'm just saying that he needs to do so with a sense of self-preservation or he won't last. But, if the DB had no chance of preventing the score, that implies that AR could have slid or dove, whatever and still scored. ;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Fair enough. Perhaps he couldn't have done anything about that particular hit, but if he's going to be a running QB (nothing wrong with that), I'm just saying that he needs to do so with a sense of self-preservation or he won't last. But, if the DB had no chance of preventing the score, that implies that AR could have slid or dove, whatever and still scored. ;)
    In principle, I agree with you 100%. AR must learn how to protect himself (and he'll be all the more dangerous when he can be a true pocket passer along with representing an anytime running threat).

On that play, had he slid, because he's a QB, he would have been ruled down at the point he started the slide - ergo short of the goal line. IMHO it is unreasonable to expect any player to give up short of a TD. Injuries happen in football. That same hit on a TE or WR would likely have resulted in the same injury.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    In principle, I agree with you 100%. AR must learn how to protect himself (and he'll be all the more dangerous when he can be a true pocket passer along with representing an anytime running threat).

On that play, had he slid, because he's a QB, he would have been ruled down at the point he started the slide - ergo short of the goal line. IMHO it is unreasonable to expect any player to give up short of a TD. Injuries happen in football. That same hit on a TE or WR would likely have resulted in the same injury.

I think we’re all basically on the same page.

Yes his playmaking ability with his feet can be a legit game changer.

Yes he needs to learn when to protect himself.

He’s young. He only had 13 starts in college. It’s only game 2. Patience. It takes most guys two or three years minimum to see what they really can become.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom