• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    AV looked mentally defeated in the interview I saw on FOX 59. A total wreck, looked like he wanted to cry. I am so sad his career is ending this way for him, the team, and we fans...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    AV looked mentally defeated in the interview I saw on FOX 59. A total wreck, looked like he wanted to cry. I am so sad his career is ending this way for him, the team, and we fans...

Tough to see a good man suffer under a mediocre team that became too reliant upon a kicker to bail them out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tough to see a good man suffer under a mediocre team that became too reliant upon a kicker to bail them out.

That's what the kickers are for. Seriously. They are the last line of offense in so many tight games even well played games. Yes it is a sad sight to see but he has a specific job. He no longer functions well in that job.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

When asked about being injured AV replied that you don't talk about injuries.
    When the body ages to a point then injuries are more frequent and don't heal as quick.
    Lots of athletes stick around too long for their own good. Then again.... in many cases it's all they know and don't want to move on.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So after a night to sleep on it, I had this thought. No doubt in my mind that if this team were healthy they would have beat Miami. A bunch of career backups and practice squad guys starting at wideout. Brian freakin Hoyer at QB. The defense did enough to win. 3 INT’s and a kicker that’s no longer serviceable. We can lose to anybody with that formula.

Saw a great tweet that sums up our season pretty well.

Colts 2019: One player retired too early. One player retired far too late.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Do not agree with that at all. Kickers are the top scorer's in the league. We were the second seed with Brissett at the helm, and AV's misses that lost games. But the team is not deep enough to lose their starting QB and have their top scorer in la-la land.

Here I will fix it for you

Tough to see a good team suffer under a mediocre kicker that became too reliant upon playing and failed to understand it was time to retire...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How this team has fallen. Two weeks ago they were the 2 seed and today are not in the playoffs. The division rivals are actually playing better. The Colts are the 8 seed, Titans 9, and Jags 10. Nobody's laying down, they all still have a chance to make it. No other AFC division has 4 teams with a chance.

The next game will likely determine how far they can go. The Jags come to visit, then at Texans, followed by a visit from the Titans. That stretch will likely make the division picture pretty clear and could decide it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Who do you guys want?

[h=1]Here's a look at free agent kickers available to the Colts if they decide to make a change[/h]Indianapolis Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri discusses where his confidence is after missing extra point against the Dolphins. Clark Wade, Clark.Wade@Indystar.com

You know the numbers by now.

>> Adam Vinatieri has missed field goals from 46, 29, 57, 45 and 43 yards.
    >> He's missed six extra points.

>> It's not difficult to connect his missed kicks to three of the Colts' losses.
    On Sept. 17, the Colts tried out six kickers. Younghoe Koo has since signed with the Atlanta Falcons (he was 4-of-4 on field goals and 2-of-2 on PATs on Sunday) and Chase McLaughlin is kicking Monday for San Francisco (7-of-7 on PATs, 6-of-9 on field goals for Tennessee earlier this season, but just 1-of-4 from 40-49 yards). Here is a look at the other four, plus two new possibilities:

[h=2]Matt Bryant[/h]Career field goal percentage: .856
    Career field goal percentage 40+-yard kicks: .755
    A major question with Bryant is whether he'll kick anywhere but Atlanta. He's 44 and came out of retirement to return to the Falcons this season after kicking for the franchise the previous 10 seasons, making the Pro Bowl in 2016. He was just 2-of-6 on 50-plus-yard field goals this season but 7-of-8 on the rest of his attempts and 14-of-15 on PATs. He was productive in 2018 (20-of-21 on field goals, his only miss from 50-plus yards; 33-of-35 on extra points).

[h=2]Elliott Fry[/h]Career field goal percentage: .000
    Career field goal percentage 40+-yard kicks: .000
    Fry signed a three-year deal with the Bears after playing in the AAF, making all 14 of his field goals — though the longest was only 44 yards — with the Orlando Apollos before the league suspended operations. But Fry lost the kicking competition to Eddy Piñeiro and was cut Aug. 18. Fry made a 43-yarder in the preseason and missed from 47 yards. He was a productive kicker at South Carolina, making 99.4% of his extra points and 75.0% of his field goals, and setting the school record for points.

[h=2]Josh Gable[/h]Career field goal percentage: .000
    Gable, who tried out for the Patriots this season and the Colts in 2017 according to allsportstucson.com, is 28 and didn't play in college, having a professional soccer career in Belgium and Italy. His last team is the Tucson Sugar Skulls (do you need to know anything else to sign him?) in a tour of minor league football. He was 6-of-16 on field goals for the Sugar Skulls with a long of 45 yards and 50-of-57 on PATs. Do yourself a favor and search his name on YouTube.

[h=2]Cole Hedlund[/h]Career field goal percentage: .000
    He spent the preseason with the Colts. Hedlund set the national high school record with 25 field goals in a season and had a streak of 157 consecutive PATs, earning him Parade All-American honors. But he struggled at Arkansas, making 60% of his field goals as a freshman, failing to earn the starting position the next two seasons and transferring to North Texas. He regained his touch with the Mean Green, making 19-of-22 field goals, and signing with the Colts.
    "It's an unbelievable opportunity," Hedlund said of playing for the Colts in the preseason. "Coming in as a rookie and being able to learn from the greatest ever, it's just absolutely incredible."
    Hedlund was 3-of-3 inside 39 yards in the preseason but 3-of-5 from 40-plus yards and did not make the team.

[h=2]Greg Joseph[/h]Career field goal percentage: .850
    Career field goal percentage on 40+-yard kicks: .667
    Served as Cleveland's kicker for 14 games in 2018, making all 11 of his short kicks but just 25-of-29 PATs and two-thirds of his kicks from 40-plus yards. He made a game-winning 37-yarder in Week 5 but lost the job to Austin Siebert before this season.

[h=2]Cody Parkey[/h]Career field goal percentage: .843
    Career field goal percentage on 40+-yard kicks: .725
    He was 3-of-3 on field goals and 5-of-6 on PATs (the miss was a doink, of course) in a three-week run with Tennessee. He was cut Nov. 2 when Ryan Succop returned, though Succop has gone 5-of-6 on extra points and missed all three of his field goal attempts so Parkey could be back on the Titans' radar.

The Colts traded Parkey to Philadelphia in 2014 for running back David Fluellen. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie, making 32-of-36 field goals and all 54 of his extra points for a rookie-record 150 points. But he was done with the Eagles after three games in 2014 due to a groin injury and has since bounced from Cleveland to Miami to Chicago. Then it got interesting. On Nov. 11, 2018, he hit the uprights four times (two PATs, two field goals), making none of the kicks. That was followed by the infamous 43-yard double doink in the playoffs, as Parkey hit the left upright then the crossbar before the ball bounced away, causing the Bears to lose 16-15 to the Eagles. Parkey appeared on NBC's Today without team permission five days later and was eventually released with $3.5 million left on his contract.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...here-free-agent-kickers-available/4164422002/

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Do you understand (I'm guessing not) that you are talking about the TOP scorer in the entire history of the NFL? Since 2002 23% of all games were decided by 3 points or less. In a 16 game season that means a teams kicker is deciding factor in 3 to 4 games. Kickers are a critical component of the offense, no question.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    After yesterday I have changed my thinking. The Colts should move on now from AV. The injury/mental issues/age related pains will not get any better. We are not just missing 45+ FG, we are missing PAT's. That indicates a deep issue that cannot be corrected with practice and confidence.

I think we get Parkey, game plan to go for it on fourth or punt more instead of long FG.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom