• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Add: I did swap out my Colt's factory plastic mainspring housing immediately way back for an arched Pachmayr rubber coated steel one, and went with a Wilson guide rod (and Hogue slabs).

My dad got a Series 80 stainless GC (before I got my Commander) and the mainspring housing on it cracked rather quickly.

That poor gun, got shot a lot (but with wimpy target loads). Sheared front sight pins, rear sight detents flew away, the Series 80 FP stop stuck after last round in practice.
    1st shot in league it slam fired (was pointed downrange as it should have been).
    Pops had that thing for years, constantly fixed it (minor). Shot good though.

He ditched it last month, said he's getting a Kimber.

LOL

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I voted Kimber. They've been rock solid tack drivers right out of the box. Never had to tweek them or modify them. Break in period? I have no idea. Every one I own or have owned have been flawless.
    I have some nice Colts and I like Colt. They are catching up. While other manufacturers were doing the reliability mods and adding bells and whistles Colt stayed with that original style other than 80 series. After the "1991" came out I got away from Colt.
    Kimber for me.

Drake.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all your input and experiences! I thought once I figured out I wanted a 1911 next the choice would be much easier than this.... Crap!

Keep the votes coming folks

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I have a Kimber Custom II and an Ultra Carry II, no problems with either including the magazines. The compact is my carry gun and gets shot regularly, always works. I also have a Colt Combat Commander that is good now, but needed work to get there. The barrel bushing was so loose that it felt like if you pointed the gun down and shook it, it might fall out, and the trigger was like dragging your fingernail across a cement block.

I would buy another Kimber before I would buy another Colt.

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    I have a kimber stainless target ll and a colt. Love both. I say the kimber is a little more accurate. But that could just be me. Resale on the colt may be a little better.

XDJohnnyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    hmm thats a tough choice...both very nice firearms, but i've always kind of liked kimbers a little more than colt...but has been making this style gun for over a hundred years so they must be doing something right lol

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Everyone touts Kimbers but honestly everyone I know that has one has had an issue here and there with them. Still they speak highly of them. I once out shout a friend and his Kimber with my brand new just out of box Kahr CM9. Three times we had to stop and pry shells out of the chamber of the Kimber and mine was supposed to have 200 rnd break-in period. I had no issues. 3rd time we gave Kimber to the LGS gunsmith who had a Kimber on his hip. He proceeded to tell me how I should have purchased a Kimber, while he was using a knife to pry a shell out of the chamber. Really??? I'm not having any issues with my little Kahr. I just don't get the Kimber thing. Nice looking but I don't trust them. Oh yea, and I just recently purchased a new Colt Commander.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have a Colt Series 70 Government Model (been in the family since new) and a Kimber Ultra CDP II. The Colt is a true classic 1911 and it's one of my collector's but for out of the box feel, I really like the Kimber.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Nothing against the Colt but I'm more of a Kimber fan. I have the Crimson Carry Ultra and love it. No issues at all. Plus I think Kimbers have a better look to boot. But thats personal preference.

Drake.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This choice keeps getting tougher and tougher... Maybe ill wake up one morning and say yes I want this one. I like the Colt because: 1. It's a colt 2. The 4.25 inch barrel 3. Colts seem to have fewer problems with them, 4. The gun is a little lighter than the Kimber. I like the Kimber because 1. It doesn't have an ambi safety 2. It seems to look nicer ( never held one tho) 3. Everyone says how well they are put together (maybe too well, cause of some issues)?

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Colt. I have said this before I just cant get past the name Kimber - reminds me of Kimbies - a daiper they used to sell in the 70s. Every time I see Kimber I think oh another one of those daiper guns.:laugh:
    That said, they are nice 1911s.

Top Bottom