• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I got the chance to lay my grubby mitts on the newish Colt Marine Pistol or M45A1CQB for a few days. This is the exact pistol Colt is manufacturing for the USMC for the MARSOC guys going into harms way. Having heard people saying how nice the new Colts are has gotten me curious especially after seeing the new Competition Pistol, the Marine is basically the top of the line for Colt currently with a retail of $1700 so it is definitely pricey.
    l41Mn4ih.jpg

KLQ4Hy3h.jpg

The gun features a stainless frame and slide, National Match barrel, tritium sights and a gorgeous Tan/Bronze Ion-Bond coating. It utilizes a series 80 mechanism for the trigger meaning there is a bit of squish before the trigger breaks unlike a good series 70 trigger due to the added internal safety. It has a beefed up frame capable of taking the recoil of a 10MM to aid in service life of the pistol as well as featuring the new double recoil system from Colt (think just two recoil springs stacked over each other nothing groundbreaking). Due to the weight of the pistol recoil is mild and it shoots very nice groups courtesy of the NM barrel.

LrxHiUrh.jpg

Now here the part of the review where if you are a Colt fan you look away because it gets ugly. Since the Marine Pistol features a $1700 price tag I feel it is justified to compare it to features and finish levels of 1911's also in that particular price point such as Dan Wesson or certain Springfield models.

The barrel to slide fit on the Marine is very good with a nice lockup, the barrel to bushing fit however is not that great with a small amount of wiggle and visible gaps.
    HC1Z2Qqh.jpg

It features top notch G10 grips that fit the gun well but the front strap is left bare and not checkered, which surprised me especially considering this gun was designed from the ground up to go into combat.
    6o3kyEXh.jpg

The barrel is feed ramps are not fully beveled out and polished either unlike what is offered on every other 1911 in this price point.
    GXWCvh9h.jpg

[Colt Marine Pistol barrel feed ramps note they are not even polished or fully done)

2Civyi3h.jpg

[Dan Wesson VBOB notice how much more work went into it as this helps make the gun reliably feed modern JHP ammo)

On to the smaller not as annoying flaws of the pistol fit and finish wise, the slide to frame fit is well classic Colt not super great but it gets a pass as that is one thing colt just cant seem to get right even at this high price point. The grip safety is not fit well and rattles as does the trigger (only worse fit trigger I have ever seen personally is on a Ruger SR1911). The safety also had some play in it when you press your thumb downwards on it while shooting a flaw not present on say a VBOB or a TRP.

Basically the Marine Pistol looks killer with its FDE coating and Marine Corps lineage, but it does not have allot of the fit and finish that is present on allot of other 1911's in this $1700 price point. The Pony disappoints again unfortunately and unless you absolutely are dead set on the Marine Pistol I highly recommend looking elsewhere especially at this price point. Now there is hope for Colt as the new Competition Pistol that has a retail of $900 has allot of nice features and at that price point is actually very competitive.

Last edited:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    How is the cerakote finish? I looked at a brand new desert sand one for 2100 and it had gouges in it. I was actually surprised tbe lgs was selling it as such

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yup....how is the roll mark?

My new 70 series has the trigger wobble, slide/frame slop, and horrible roll mark.
    The reply I got back from colt customer service was " nothing to worry about, it is supposed to look like that".
    As much as I love the pony and the heritage....I should have bought the cz/dan wesson.....looks like your review confirms my suspicion that colt guns are manufactured by the management and not the skilled tradesman.

Good review

God bless
    - Shred
    Ps: awesome edge on the manix....youre a good man, thank you.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I held one at my lgs in January and thought it was pretty nice. Pricey yes but these types of special run pistols usually are. He had
    the most expensive version from the custom shop and it was very smooth.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That gap at the barrel bushing is intentional. The barrel tilts. Gotta have somewhere to go.
    Actually that is not true. Custom bullseye pistols have no play between the barrel and the barrel bushing and do not suffer from problems.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't see where having checkering on the front strap is a negative. When drawing from a holster and one gets a poor grip, it is easier to adjust the grip where there is no checkering. I have 1911's with and without checkering. I was recently firing one without checkering (one-handed with 230 grain ball ammo) and the gun didn't shift in my hand. For match shooting, where many rounds are fired, checkering does have its place.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Nice write up and photos. It is definitely a good looking weapon. I would think that being a military weapon intended to function in all sorts of enviornments that it would be built with a little play in it. Wouldn't want it to jam if it was exposed to much sand or mud in a critical situation. Out of my price range but maybe a nice used one will fall in my lap someday.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Again, nice post OP. But let's remember here. This is a Combat Pistol, John designed them to be loose and able to work under ALL COMBAT CONDITIONS..
    not just shooting targets at Camp Lejeune.
    A tight Target Pistol doesn't play well in the dirt...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Lack of front strap checkering kills it for me on any 1911 over $1000
    That's just me, I have noticed the new expensive Colt's lack front strap checkering. It's just something I think should be standard once you hit a certain price point.

Nice write up and review though.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Actually that is not true. Custom bullseye pistols have no play between the barrel and the barrel bushing and do not suffer from problems.

I did not know the colt m45 was a custom bullseye pistol. I must be mistaken. I'm still sure the lockup in battery has no play. But I have never seen or heard of a pistol that has no play while in slide lock.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Cerakote has been dropped. They are now done with ion bond.

So, isn't the issue the fact that the slides are stainless and therefore they did have some issues with the durability of cerakote? The ones I saw didn't look very good. I am still curious if this is a custom shop gun or a production version. I would expect a tighter bushing to barrel fit in a custom shop version, but then I expect those are over 2g as well. I think it is sorta cool with the original colors, but looks awful with black.

This pistol was what got me interested in 1911s. I ended up with a Wilson CQB instead, because these were hard to find.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Here is a picture of one of the ion bond guns. It is from gun broker and can be bought at just over $1,500

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I did not know the colt m45 was a custom bullseye pistol. I must be mistaken. I'm still sure the lockup in battery has no play. But I have never seen or heard of a pistol that has no play while in slide lock.
    I have a few 1911's that have no play between the barrel and bushing, as well as, no play between the bushing and the slide. I never claimed that the Colt was a bullseye pistol. My point is that there is no need to have a gap between the barrel and barrel bushing when the slide is in battery. You must be confused as to what we are talking about. We're not talking about barrel play when the slide is locked back.

Good review OP. I don't think that there is any excuse for that poor barrel throating. It doesn't look like it is worth the price of admission to me, but since it is connected to the Marine Corps, they'll sell quite a few.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good review Dean. With the loose 'combat' fit and lack of checkering, I wonder what is driving the price up that high? Are all of the internals tool steel or something? I used to have a Sig Scorpion that was really close to the same spec (all stainless under Cerakote) that had an excellent fit and front strap checkering and it only set me back $900 new.

I like front strap checkering, but can understand where it may not be wanted. The price seems to be in the ballpark of a pistol that has it though.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Good review Dean. With the loose 'combat' fit and lack of checkering, I wonder what is driving the price up that high? Are all of the internals tool steel or something? I used to have a Sig Scorpion that was really close to the same spec (all stainless under Cerakote) that had an excellent fit and front strap checkering and it only set me back $900 new.

I like front strap checkering, but can understand where it may not be wanted. The price seems to be in the ballpark of a pistol that has it though.

There is some MIM in the gun for sure, and honestly I think a large part of the price is the marine corps name attached to it as a Colt Rail Gun can be had for $1300 and it is alomst the same gun minus the frame not being beefed up. Now like I said the Colt Competition Gun is fantastic for the $900 MSRP and honestly has the same level of fit and finish as the Marine Pistol so there is hope for Colt yet.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    ....looks like your review confirms my suspicion that colt guns are manufactured by the management and not the skilled tradesman
    God bless
    - Shred .

This is the problem with Colt, if they had skilled tradesmen they would still be makeing the snake guns, or at least be able to work on them.
    If Colt want to avoid bankrupticy they need to start worrying about the civilian market more. And quit charging more just because it says Colt on it.

Top Bottom