• Status
    Not open for further replies.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I was just going to have it as a collection item. I have an ar that I use for regular shooting

If someone hadn't changed the front "pin", original was 2 screws, I'm sure you could find that part and put it back. But then the paint job on top of it, takes away any kind of "collector" value on it.
    If you want something that truly will appreciate in value, you should be looking at M1 Garands, they aren't made anymore and are becoming more collectible. Right now they are still affordable.
    I honestly would not buy that rifle. Way too many AR's on the market, they're not going away anytime soon. I just don't see a market for that. Just my opinion, I have been buying, selling, and trading firearms a looooong time.
    I would put my money elsewhere.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I personally would buy a 20" barrel, fixed carry handle, A2 style Colt rifle just for the nostalgia of the early M16A2s that I carried in the Army. If you just want a basic rifle that works and you don't need a scope or optical sight on top and a bunch of high speed, gee whiz gear hanging off of it, that rifle would serve you well.
    The camo job on that particular rifle is god awful, in my opinion.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I personally would buy a 20" barrel, fixed carry handle, A2 style Colt rifle just for the nostalgia of the early M16A2s that I carried in the Army. If you just want a basic rifle that works and you don't need a scope or optical sight on top and a bunch of high speed, gee whiz gear hanging off of it, that rifle would serve you well.
    The camo job on that particular rifle is god awful, in my opinion.
    16" will better serve you than an20" which will limit you. You can still mount scopes on the fixed carry handle uppers. Also red dots with a goose mount.
    I understand the sentimental thing and that's why they will still get $1k. Well that and the colt name. People love that word colt for some reason even though today there are much better brands.

keithhernadez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2014
    lowell
    I figured it would be worth some money. I was doing some research and it looked like they only made 500 with the z coat camo paint job. Seen ones with the same going for around 2000-2400. Didn't know if there was any tell tale signs as to knowing it was correct or not

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I figured it would be worth some money. I was doing some research and it looked like they only made 500 with the z coat camo paint job. Seen ones with the same going for around 2000-2400. Didn't know if there was any tell tale signs as to knowing it was correct or not

Well that changes my opinion of it, if it came from Colt that way. I didn't realize they ever produced them from the factory with a Camo paint job. Hmmmm. I guess if the price was right, maybe you should get it. But if you intend to re-sell it, they only way to really get what it's worth is to sell it on gunbroker. I'll do some of my own research and see if in fact Colt ever released an AR looking like that.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Does the current owner have the box and all the factory accessories for it? From a quick google search, it should have come with a camo soft case. As well a Colt card board box and 2 20rnd. mags.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Also another thought. I would call Colt and verify that serial number is in fact supposed to be an AR with the Z coat. It wouldn't be the first time that someone was trying to get top dollar off of a fake.
    Happens all the time, especially the Mil-Surp rifles, people will make/buy stamps of rare markings and then stamp them on a rifle/pistol that is common. Some are so good they even fool the experts.

keithhernadez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2014
    lowell
    The owner does have the 2 mags and the case I don't know about the box. I know that obviously takes away from the value and I'm not expert by Any means. I plan to call colt up tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me more

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Trigger Time,
    Not being argumentative here. Just curious why you think a 20" barrel would limit you. I carried one in a jungle environment in Panama, woods, desert and MOUT environment (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) and everywhere in between and it never limited me. The range scores were higher across the board too, when our guys were shooting A2s. That was back before the Army started mounting optics on every rifle in sight (which I never bought into) and they taught soldiers the art of iron sights. The longer sighting radius on a twenty inch rifle helps there.
    Never would have dreamed of approaching my crusty, old, Vietnam veteran, platoon sergeant and telling him that I thought the 20" barrel on my M16 was limiting me. :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

The paint job was never added or sent in to be done it came from the factory like that.

Well that changes my opinion of it, if it came from Colt that way. I didn't realize they ever produced them from the factory with a Camo paint job. Hmmmm. I guess if the price was right, maybe you should get it. But if you intend to re-sell it, they only way to really get what it's worth is to sell it on gunbroker. I'll do some of my own research and see if in fact Colt ever released an AR looking like that.
    Yeah that certainly does change things a lot. Still will limit who would buy it but the buyers will be out there. Sorry I had thought th paintwas a billybob job.

keithhernadez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2014
    lowell
    Hahah that's what I thought at first and was skeptical but I started to look into it and sure as heck that's what she is. I'm getting it for a good price not looking to dump it just to collect maybe pass it down. Normally I wouldn't but when I started looking into it further the more I value the history. I hope tomorrow u can get more information on the year and such.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Trigger Time,
    Not being argumentative here. Just curious why you think a 20" barrel would limit you. I carried one in a jungle environment in Panama, woods, desert and MOUT environment (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) and everywhere in between and it never limited me. The range scores were higher across the board too, when our guys were shooting A2s. That was back before the Army started mounting optics on every rifle in sight (which I never bought into) and they taught soldiers the art of iron sights. The longer sighting radius on a twenty inch rifle helps there.
    Never would have dreamed of approaching my crusty, old, Vietnam veteran, platoon sergeant and telling him that I thought the 20" barrel on my M16 was limiting me. :):
    No I don't take it that way.
    i just meant for modern combat rolls a shorter barrel has more practical uses. In and out of vehicles Ect. Not meaning a 20" is worthless but certainly not favored by most.
    thank you for your service!

keithhernadez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2014
    lowell
    Hahah that's what I thought at first and was skeptical but I started to look into it and sure as heck that's what she is. I'm getting it for a good price not looking to dump it just to collect maybe pass it down. Normally I wouldn't but when I started looking into it further the more I value the history. I hope tomorrow u can get more information on the year and such.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom