• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Forgive my AR ignorance, as I've never owned one.

I've been interested in getting into the platform with a cheap .22 shooter. As I understand it, the S&W15-22 is a decent .22, but not an actual AR rifle.

Colt has an AR in .22, I think. Plainfield Shooting Supplies had this at the Indy 1500. My question is this - is this an actual AR rifle? By that, I mean can I change parts with actual AR things (upper,lower,etc) and change calibers?

I asked the guys at PSS and I don't think they understood my question and they kinda looked at me like I was dumb.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You may also want to give the Kel-Tec SU-22 a look. Love mine, and I paid $390 new last year.

001-10.jpg

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    iagree.gif
    I like the SU22 from the price stand point, I have a hard time paying a price for a .22 that is close to the price of a real AR,,

I have recently seen the KelTec SU22 for $333 + Shipping on line.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm familiar with the SU-22. Actually my friend got one at Christy's gun auction for $207 our the door, taxes and all. Neat little gun, but I haven't seen another go that cheap.

For the price, I like the S&W 15-22. PSS has them for $399 and I may go that route.

GlockMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    They do make kits to convert an AR so it will shoot .22. Of course it is one of the more expensive options and really only a good option if you already have an AR.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Colt AR15-22 has a cast metal receiver and the S&W is mostly composite except for the bolt of course. Neither was designed to shoot anything but 22lr, but accessories like sights, lights, and grips fit the standard rails.

Actually IMHO Colt, S&W, Ruger, SIG , GSS et. al. are just responding to folks wanting to shoot an "AR-like" rifle with cheap 22 ammo... especially those who don't have an AR already. I know someone in that boat :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Neither was designed to shoot anything but 22lr, but accessories like sights, lights, and grips fit the standard rails.

Correct. The S&W's biggest advantages are that all of the controls function exactly like a "real" AR (the Colt's safety/selector is a 180-deg. throw rather than 90, it does not lock open on empty, and the bolt catch lever is fake), and it accepts AR-15 trigger group components and grips/buttstocks without modification.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Correct. The S&W's biggest advantages are that all of the controls function exactly like a "real" AR (the Colt's safety/selector is a 180-deg. throw rather than 90, it does not lock open on empty, and the bolt catch lever is fake), and it accepts AR-15 trigger group components and grips/buttstocks without modification.

So I can put in a new trigger group in the S&W? I just put in a new McCormick trigger group in my AR - that would be awesome to have the same unit in the .22 - closer and closer to the "same" platform.

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Sig ,Kel-Tec, and dedicated AR upper use the same mags from Black Dog Machine and another company (can't think of the name right now). The other brands use propritary mags. Just something to think about. Plus Black Dog makes a 50 round drum to fit these.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    183   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Yeah, I can't believe you let your friend buy that KelTec at such a steal...

I just bought a BDM 50 round drum for it and it seems to works good. Honestly, I think you would be happy with saving up for an entry level AR in .223 and then get a conversion kit for it. I just got one of the CMMG kits for mine and I think it's gonna be worth it. It was $189 from CDNN and it came with 2 magazines.

But the M&P 15-22 sounds pretty good from what I've heard. Most of what I'm hearing about the Umarex Colt is that you should stay away from it. Another one to consider is the Sig 522. It's not quite an AR, but it's still pretty cool, and it takes BDM mags as well.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Yeah, I can't believe you let your friend buy that KelTec at such a steal...

I just bought a BDM 50 round drum for it and it seems to works good. Honestly, I think you would be happy with saving up for an entry level AR in .223 and then get a conversion kit for it. I just got one of the CMMG kits for mine and I think it's gonna be worth it. It was $189 from CDNN and it came with 2 magazines.

But the M&P 15-22 sounds pretty good from what I've heard. Most of what I'm hearing about the Umarex Colt is that you should stay away from it. Another one to consider is the Sig 522. It's not quite an AR, but it's still pretty cool, and it takes BDM mags as well.

I saw this in American Rifleman today and I think I may have gotten bit. I've got the Sig 522 bug. Man that thing looks sick.

I'm going to call up Bradis and PSS and see what it might cost me.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Please let us know what kind of bucks you end up with - very, very interesting weapon. Squirrels beware!

PSS quoted $459 over the phone. It's tempting to say the least!

I imagine Bradis will be $469ish, as this has been my experience - about $10 more than PSS. That said, they generally accept the PSS price as well. If Bradis has em in stock and will take $459, I'll likely go that route.

Top Bottom