• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Magpul doesn't employ all that many people, but they farm out the manufacturing work to other companies, including a very large one here who has also threatened to leave, which is more like 1000 jobs.

Magpul may or may not leave, but I disagree with Kirk that their threat has to do with driving up prices. They are trying to pressure the Colorado legislators into not passing the bill by making it politically tougher. There is some evidence that this will work on some level, by either giving the Colorado Senate cover by NOT passing the bill, or by giving Republicans a stick in the next election if jobs are lost.

People moving to our State have changed its political makeup over the last twenty years. I hope this activates some people not normally active.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    You might want to consider joining the newly created social group...

Here's the discussion going on now:

INGunOwners - Necessary Information

I've posted this elsewhere but since this thread is seeming to get the most "action" for the past 24 hours...

I called my State rep, Hal Slager. He is by all accounts a great guy and very supportive of 2A but he was unaware of the happening in other states. I suggested to him that many of these firearm, magazine, someone not manufacturers are ripe for a move to Indiana. After I told him about Colorado's law he felt it necessary to contact the IEDC so that they could target these manufacturers. He also stated that they were in the process of lowering the minimum for tax incentives from 100million down to 50 million. This would be the sweet spot for many of these manufacturers (magpul is $85 million).

Let me say this as well. I think that writing letters on the Internet is a somewhat useless endeavor. Pick up the phone, call them. Yes, it may be a little uncomfortable. Our state reps are the folks we need to get this ball rolling and they should be accessible. I left a message for Hal and he personally called me back and spent ten minutes on the phone. I am in sales by trade and I will say that if you need to close a sale, idea, whatever, picking up the phone is the way to do it. Please inconvenience yourself for the sake of liberty.

While you are at it, call Doug Smith(Magpul COO) and politely invite him and his company to Indiana. Tell them that they are welcomed here. Tell him that average everyday citizens like you are working on ways to make his move easy.

If we work both sides of this it CAN happen.

I've started a group here for this purpose where we can hopefully keep track and coordinate our efforts. See above for the link from japartrige.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    I've posted this elsewhere but since this thread is seeming to get the most "action" for the past 24 hours...

I called my State rep, Hal Slager. He is by all accounts a great guy and very supportive of 2A but he was unaware of the happening in other states. I suggested to him that many of these firearm, magazine, someone not manufacturers are ripe for a move to Indiana. After I told him about Colorado's law he felt it necessary to contact the IEDC so that they could target these manufacturers. He also stated that they were in the process of lowering the minimum for tax incentives from 100million down to 50 million. This would be the sweet spot for many of these manufacturers (magpul is $85 million).

Let me say this as well. I think that writing letters on the Internet is a somewhat useless endeavor. Pick up the phone, call them. Yes, it may be a little uncomfortable. Our state reps are the folks we need to get this ball rolling and they should be accessible. I left a message for Hal and he personally called me back and spent ten minutes on the phone. I am in sales by trade and I will say that if you need to close a sale, idea, whatever, picking up the phone is the way to do it. Please inconvenience yourself for the sake of liberty.

While you are at it, call Doug Smith(Magpul COO) and politely invite him and his company to Indiana. Tell them that they are welcomed here. Tell him that average everyday citizens like you are working on ways to make his move easy.

If we work both sides of this it CAN happen.

I've started a group here for this purpose where we can hopefully keep track and coordinate our efforts. See above for the link from japartrige.

Looking for purple still but did you not read that it's not a law yet. Kirk even put up a great video for you to watch and learn why it's not a law yet.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Doesn't matter if it's not a law. Make them the offer to come out here. Let them know that they have options and we'll roll out the red carpet. Why? Many things in life are not gotten, simply because they are not asked for. The prettiest girls in high school often don't get asked out - just because nobody has the huevos to ask....

Kirk has NO idea what's going on in the mind of Magpul's leadership. Unless he has inside info I'm not aware of. These decisions often spin on very small issues - like a Board Member or CEO that feels like moving.

Small things drive big things. Always worthwhile to throw it out there.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Doesn't matter if it's not a law. Make them the offer to come out here. Let them know that they have options and we'll roll out the red carpet. Why? Many things in life are not gotten, simply because they are not asked for. The prettiest girls in high school often don't get asked out - just because nobody has the huevos to ask....

Kirk has NO idea what's going on in the mind of Magpul's leadership. Unless he has inside info I'm not aware of. These decisions often spin on very small issues - like a Board Member or CEO that feels like moving.

Small things drive big things. Always worthwhile to throw it out there.
    I think he is trying to ask for Hoosiers to butt out and quit trying to entice Magpul into leaving their state. That's the vibe i'm getting. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I left a message with Drake Clark, PR director at Magpul, inviting him to the State of Indiana. The number for Magpul corporate is 303-828-3460. Select the options to get to corporate, select public relations and you will get his VM. I left my name and phone number.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    IMHO Magpul has put themselves in a position, through several interviews with their CEO and other top management, that makes it imperative that they leave CO IF the bill is signed into Law. They know full well that the memories of the firearms owners in this country are long and without mercy for businesses that sell out to the gun grabbers.
    It took Ruger many years to shake the stigma of Bill Ruger Sr's supporting the '94 AWB because he managed to keep the Mini 14/30's off of the dreaded "Ban list" by giving his support to the bill.
    Even if the bill doesn't pass and get signed it serves as a notice to Magpul, and other firearms and after market products manufacturers, that they had better start looking for friendlier pastures to make their goods in before the wolves finish them off in the locations that they currently operate.
    :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Let's see, Magpul is a successful company. Probably run by big boys who can make the decision to move or not.

I doubt gun forum friendliness or even famed Hoosier Hospitality to be any major factor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No inside info, just history and economics.

If this bill pass and Magpul moves, tell ya what, I'll do something really radical, like be nice to rhino for an entire month.:D

No harm in rolling out the red carpet for gun industry in Illinois, New York, California or Colorado, but we should understand that economics trumps politics on our side.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    535423_561665497179137_489929887_n.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look at what Magpul says from The Denver Post:

"'If House Bill 1224 passes, we will relocate part or all of our operations out of state,' Alfred warned Gov. John Hickenlooper and members of the state legislature in a letter Friday."

1. You don't tell politicians what you will do, you just do if you are serious.

2. If you are serious you don't use lawyer language like "relocate part or all".:D

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Look at what Magpul says from The Denver Post:

"'If House Bill 1224 passes, we will relocate part or all of our operations out of state,' Alfred warned Gov. John Hickenlooper and members of the state legislature in a letter Friday."

2. If you are serious you don't use lawyer language like "relocate part or all".:D

Kirk, read it again.

Alfred Manufacturing (one of Magpul's suppliers) said that...not Magpul Industries.

TheDenverPost said:
    In a last-minute effort to kill the bill, Denver-based Alfred Manufacturing, announced Friday afternoon that if the measure passes, the company will leave the state.

The move follows the announcement from Magpul, Colorado's largest and most profitable high capacity ammunition magazine manufacturer.

Republicans leadership presented the a letter from Alfred on the House floor.

"We are a third-generation Colorado company that has been committed to this state since my grandfather founded the company in 1948," Greg Alfred, the company's chief executive, wrote in the letter. "However, if House Bill 1224 passes, we will plain and simply have no choice but to relocate part or all of our operations to another state."

Alfred also said that the bill has caused him to freeze a planned expansion of plans in Colorado.

Magpul designs, markets and distributes weapons components and high-capacity magazines. It also does some manufacturing, but contracts out much of that work to Colorado suppliers like Alfred Manufacturing. Alfred, which got its start 65 years ago as a machine shop, uses plastic injection molding to create the gun accessories and ammunition magazine cases that Magpul sells. Alfred is a key manufacturer among more than a dozen firms that Magpul works with across the Front Range.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Unless you're trying to influence them before they do something stupid like pass a bill that will kill your company.

If this bill pass and Magpul moves, tell ya what, I'll do something really radical, like be nice to rhino for an entire month.:D

What's that quote? Oh yeah... "I'll believe that when me :poop: turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet!" :D

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom