Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    You just discredited your first sentence! :p
    Got me there...
    45uWZXW.gif

;)

EDIT: I've been around INGO for a little while (viewing more than posting obviously), but I've noticed there's an obvious lack of reaction-gifs compared to other forums around the internet. Is this a site-policy or just something that doesn't happen?

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here is a link to the ridiculous video that we're supposed to watch to understand why it's bad for students to carry on campus.

Can You Defend Yourself with a Gun? | Video - ABC News

The video is clearly skewed to convince people that campus carry is bad. I would say that most people that would carry a gun on campus have actually practiced their draw from concealment enough times where their gun wouldn't get caught in their shirt. They also wouldn't have a mask obscuring their vision or bulky gloves on.

If you watch the full video it's skewed even worse than you see in this one. The "shooter" knew exactly who and where the person with a gun was and immediately targeted them after "shooting" the teacher. Even a trained and experienced gun carrier would have had a very difficult if not almost impossible time how it was set up. About the only way a person could have "won" is if they started the draw the instant the guy walked through the door. And even with all that, at least one person got a hit in.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think the people who carry on campus will carry. No one will probably ever know they carry but they do. I guarantee you if god forbid a school shooting does occur every one of the students who said they don't think they should be allowed to carry at school will thank god if a responsible classmate pulls out a firearm and defends his classmates. :twocents:

That being said I have a good buddy who goes to Vincennes University every day he carries a ruger LCP .380 in his back pocket. He has never had a negligent discharge let alone anyone actually see he has a gun on his person. But even though he carries responsibly it is still against school rules to have a firearm on campus as stated in their rulebook http://www.vinu.edu/sites/vinu.edu/files/VU_Standards_of_Student_Behavior(1).pdf

I am for the carry of firearms on college campuses but I feel they must be carried in a concealed fashion (as to not distract the sheeple in the classroom). I will not comment on my carrying habits as I am currently enrolled in an Indiana university.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Here is a link to the ridiculous video that we're supposed to watch to understand why it's bad for students to carry on campus.

Can You Defend Yourself with a Gun? | Video - ABC News

The video is clearly skewed to convince people that campus carry is bad. I would say that most people that would carry a gun on campus have actually practiced their draw from concealment enough times where their gun wouldn't get caught in their shirt. They also wouldn't have a mask obscuring their vision or bulky gloves on.

I saw this years ago when it first aired. It is definitely skewed to those with very little training or practice. Same old lame argument against carrying on campus!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I saw this years ago when it first aired. It is definitely skewed to those with very little training or practice. Same old lame argument against carrying on campus!

They were definitely set up for failure. I'd like to reproduce this, would make for an interesting IRB submission.

308offate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    What would stop someone from carrying on campus if they never told anyone and were responsible? a sign that says thats a no no

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd like to see them redo the experiment, but this time the bad guy doesn't get to know in advance which students to shoot, and the students should have a realistic mix of trained and untrained CC'ers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd like to see them redo the experiment, but this time the bad guy doesn't get to know in advance which students to shoot, and the students should have a realistic mix of trained and untrained CC'ers.

Here's another exercise..

No one in the class is armed, or the armed person gets killed.
    What about the other classes?
    In another class, everyone can get ready. You have a gun, sit and wait (or go look, whatever). If you sit, and a person comes in the class, raises a weapon, and looks like they're going to fire........

Or, you could sit there and throw pencils I guess.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Here's another exercise..

No one in the class is armed, or the armed person gets killed.
    What about the other classes?
    In another class, everyone can get ready. You have a gun, sit and wait (or go look, whatever). If you sit, and a person comes in the class, raises a weapon, and looks like they're going to fire........

Or, you could sit there and throw pencils I guess.

Excellent point! I'm disappointed that the thought of another classroom hadn't crossed my mind while reading the posts in this thread.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I felt like I was reading something written in 7th grade.

Unfortunately, I've found that to be the case with the vast majority of college students. I went from taking AP English and Composition in High School to talking an English 102 type class in college and was horrified by most of the papers I was proof reading; a couple were substancially worse than those above too. Considering that most of them passed I probably should have tried to test out of all my English classes...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    There are plenty of colleges where these poor English skills are not the norm. Stop using bad examples. I have attended 3 different colleges, and while the norm at the public universities was very poor, I read plenty that were worthy for peer review in journals.

Top Bottom