• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    the only thing to be careful of is that many universities have day care centers on them. How far that "zone" extends into the campus itself may be a matter of question. For example, when I picked up my grand daughter from her mother's college I always kept the handgun in the car when I went into the building, but I still wondered about the parking lot which was set aside for the day care.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    There are some carve outs for Colleges to make their own rules. I'm not what the criminal statutes would be, but at the very least you can be expelled or fired.

This would be best to ask the INGO Lawyers.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I really thought this was common knowledge on INGO. :dunno:

It is NOT illegal to carry on college campuses!! The school may have rules against it, and you may possibly be expelled or fired if caught, but it is NOT ILLEGAL!

Do the same laws apply to colleges in Indiana as public schools as far as carry or should I say no carry laws??

thanks

FTW.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    the only thing to be careful of is that many universities have day care centers on them. How far that "zone" extends into the campus itself may be a matter of question. For example, when I picked up my grand daughter from her mother's college I always kept the handgun in the car when I went into the building, but I still wondered about the parking lot which was set aside for the day care.

And in 4 days, that won't matter. Just leave it in the car, out of sight on school property.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I think universities typically have their own rules. I'm in med school here in Indianapolis, and both here and at college the school policies are clear--no guns allowed on campus. As far as I know it isn't a government mandate though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think universities typically have their own rules. I'm in med school here in Indianapolis, and both here and at college the school policies are clear--no guns allowed on campus. As far as I know it isn't a government mandate though.

Exactly. Barring daycare buildings, the only people who have to worry are students and employees. They get kicked out*/fired. The rest of us only need to fear embarrassment when we are asked to leave.

*And forfeit tuition/fees. :faint: I wonder... hypothetically speaking, if somebody like tetter got tagged and kicked out, are they obligated to transfer prior earned credits out to another school, or is the whole thing down the tubes? (or do credit transfers not work that way?)

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Exactly. Barring daycare buildings, the only people who have to worry are students and employees. They get kicked out*/fired. The rest of us only need to fear embarrassment when we are asked to leave.

*And forfeit tuition/fees. :faint: I wonder... hypothetically speaking, if somebody like tetter got tagged and kicked out, are they obligated to transfer prior earned credits out to another school, or is the whole thing down the tubes? (or do credit transfers not work that way?)

when you earn credits, its basically like earning a class on your transcript, that you can take to whatever college accepts at any time you wish. if you got expelled the only thing i could think would be the loss whatever tuition has been paid for the semester and a failing grade for the classes currently enrolled.

as far as previously earned credits, once you earn them, they are yours to do what you want with

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I really want to push for a law that makes it illegal for a campus to expel a student for legal, safe possession. We have a similar law for employers. It's frustrating.

I attend both Butler and IUPUI and begin commuting to IUPUI this fall. I live on Butler's campus. I'm not concerned about my safety around Butler (for the most part). However, IUPUI is a bit hairier. Butler will expel me for carrying and for possessing in the on-campus housing. Whether or not my vehicle is a permitted location remains to be clarified, and I'll likely be emailing those responsible for policy and procedure very soon. As best I can tell, IUPUI is silent on the matter (which they ought to be. It is a huge commuter campus). IUPUI's location is also a bit less friendly. So my options from worst to best are:

* Don't carry at all, leave the gun with my parents.
    * Lock gun in car on Butler's campus, carry on IUPUI's, potentially face expulsion if discovered, pending clarification.
    * Hope the impossible happens and get permitted to carry on a private, liberal arts campus.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I really want to push for a law that makes it illegal for a campus to expel a student for legal, safe possession. We have a similar law for employers. It's frustrating.

I attend both Butler and IUPUI and begin commuting to IUPUI this fall. I live on Butler's campus. I'm not concerned about my safety around Butler (for the most part). However, IUPUI is a bit hairier. Butler will expel me for carrying and for possessing in the on-campus housing. Whether or not my vehicle is a permitted location remains to be clarified, and I'll likely be emailing those responsible for policy and procedure very soon. As best I can tell, IUPUI is silent on the matter (which they ought to be. It is a huge commuter campus). IUPUI's location is also a bit less friendly. So my options from worst to best are:

* Lock gun in car on Butler's campus, carry on IUPUI's, potentially face expulsion if discovered, pending clarification.
    * Hope the impossible happens and get permitted to carry on a private, liberal arts campus.
    Why raise a red flag with unnecessary questions? It's not illegal, carry on and STFU.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Why raise a red flag with unnecessary questions? It's not illegal, carry on and STFU.

Exactly I carried everyday I was in school two of my buddies knew that I did, but they were carrying as well. Just keep your mouth shut and it out of sight and you should have no issues.

My only issue is that public universities should not be able to make policies against carrying. Similar to that of the local government ruling.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Do the same laws apply to colleges in Indiana as public schools as far as carry or should I say no carry laws??

thanks
    No but it is criminal trespass if you don't leave when asked to. Also, as a student, you face all disciplinary actions from the school if caught carrying. H.B. 1018 would have eliminated this but unfortunately died in committee.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

Look into Students for Concealed Carry (SCC). There's a chapter at IUPUI that can help you out. This group is a national group that fights in every state to for exactly what you stated here. Actually, Rep. Jim Lucas authored H.B. 1018 that would have barred public universities from barring the right to carry, however, it died in committee. The best way to push for right to carry laws on campus is by joining SCC.

Top Bottom