• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I asked the owner if I could share my visit, and he said that is fine if it is in general terms. All I can say is the site is located in the hilly parts of Indiana.

We have worked together on and off over the years and he knew I'd appreciate it. He also said it might give me ideas for my stories I'm working on. I've left off some of his special changes out of respect to his family.

He didn't allow pictures and I was ok with it. As he gave me a tour, I had a grin a mile wide. He is changing the above ground structures and landscape so that in a few months, it it will not look like it was before.

The site can not be seen from the road and is behind a gentle hill. A gravel road leads to the two simple above ground structures that say 1960's farm buildings and not much else. The only clue is some weathered stainless steel air intakes that have some unusual berms to hide them from casual onlookers. Even up close they look like galvanized cold frames. However, if you look down in them you can tell something very interesting is underground.

The larger building looks cheaply made until you enter it. It has a normal metal door that goes into an office area. To the rear you would suspect a shop area but it is not. The door frame is about 18 inches thick and metal blast door with automatic closers is behind the metal fake door you think is taking you to the shop. To one side is another blast door that goes to the stairway and the other side is a large elevator that you could almost fit a pickup. The rear of the building has a cheap sliding farm door the covers a very special rolling vehicle entrance door that opens up to a staging area for loading and unloading items in a secure space. Inside an behind the rolling door was a very heavy sliding door that reminded me of a sliding fire door, but much heavier. He said the elevator works fine, but the stairs are a better way to enter the bunker.

The blast door for the stairs was open and we went down to the first below grade level. The stairs were very wide and on the ceiling was a hoist that could be used to lower or lift items if the elevator was down.

We went through another blast door into the main hall. The led lights came on as we moved around and it had all the comforts of home.

It had bedrooms, storage space, activity rooms and a modern kitchen. Everything you would expect in a house.

He had flat screens that tied into his security system and could see in and around the building and his grounds. The site was a work in progress, but it was well stocked.

Everything in the bunker has three of every important system. Generators, air filters, water and fuel storage fit this requirement. It even had a system to take the solids out of waste water. The part that was very cool was the DC power system. These were strings of wet cell batteries the size of 5 gallon buckets. All the containers were clear to check for fuild levels and identify problems. The generators are to power the battery banks and served as peaking units in times of higher demand. Three identical CAT generators sat in three different rooms to provide power. He had plenty of spare parts for the equipment

The kitchen had walk in coolers and freezers, but they were not on when I walked around. He said the the compressors don't work and he is getting sunfrost units instead. He joked they are his emp cages and from the looks of them, they will do just fine in that role.

The shop is fully stocked and many of the items were still in place when it was a real cold war bunker. He has added some items to deal with the new equipment, but it still had that 60's feeling

He took me to the sub basement and it was mainly dry storage areas with light green tile and grey walls. Heavy columns matched up with the ones on the main basement level. Other than a stale smell, it didn't smell moldy or damp. He is not sure what to do with this area. but is is almost as large as the main floor. He thinks it was built this way so that expansion of the site's mission could be done without any additional expense. The ceiling on this level was about 10 feet. The main basement level was almost 16 feet high.

After about an hour and half, the tour was over and we returned to the surface. He let me open and close the main blast door in the basement a few times because it was so perfectly balanced. When I asked him how large the bunker was he said just under 30,000 square feet. He said it was a old family secret how he came to own it.

I didn't press that issue other than to continue to expand my grin.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    you do know that in the 50's and 60's Indiana had tactical missles housed in state. the are several "bunkers" around indiana with a few in my bac yard area. some are still pattroled by the AF and off limits. you might be surprized to look at google earth

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Thanks LongBow. You get the juice movin'.

Courtesy "LongBow ": Generators, air filters, water- and fuel-storage, a system to take the solids out of waste water, DC-generator power system, plenty of spare parts." We can all learn from THIS!
    Hope this in On Topic: a question;
    "SHTF" in one thing, and some of us are planning for it -- to survive the event, even if the event lasts for several years. But a longer-lasting problem will be After-Shock Survival -- "ASS" with perhaps millions of earth starved to death, and inflation at 20% annually. Some of us have its handle already; those who invested in non-hybrid seeds, long-lasting infra-stucture items like generators, fuel-tanks, tractors, ammo re-loading equipment, precious metals, and survivor-skillset education and training (like black-smithing, HVAC, and nursing and doctoring -- both animal and human) will be more-likely survivors. What do you see for us who live in what we now call America in the next 5, and 20 years? Will America still need elections and Our Constitution? Skeptics, please do not troll in and blow off; go start your own thread.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are indeed more bunkers than anyone realizes...

Plenty of personal bunkers...

Plenty of more substantial "government entity-built" bunkers, too. Sounds like the OP's friend has one of the latter.

The sites are all gone now, but there were several Nike missile sites in the Gary area during the Cold War. The env. engineering company that I used to work for ended up researching one of those sites during a Phase I and Phase II environmental surveys for a client. Had to keep the Russian bombers from swooping down out of Canada and headed towards the Eastern Seaboard, you know.

I'm relatively certain that there weren't any ICBM-type silos in IN, but it also wouldn't surprise me to one day learn that several were installed and remained classified for dozens of years.

-J-

Top Bottom