• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Mark Lee Express Blue is another way to go. It takes alot of prep time, but it can be done easily in the kitchen. Heat the parts up in the oven, brush on, boil in distilled water, card, repeat. It's probably the easiest way for a novice to rust blue.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I had a hawken rifle growing up that started out life a a cold blue job, but after the first deer season, it ended up as a rust brown finish. Little bit at a time, and working gear oil into the rust that would form after a rainy day in the field, it turned a very deep, and even brown color. That finish was about as tough as any blue job I have ever seen. Probably not the preferred method, but the results were as good as I could hope for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a hawken rifle growing up that started out life a a cold blue job, but after the first deer season, it ended up as a rust brown finish. Little bit at a time, and working gear oil into the rust that would form after a rainy day in the field, it turned a very deep, and even brown color. That finish was about as tough as any blue job I have ever seen. Probably not the preferred method, but the results were as good as I could hope for.

Gear oil????

90W none synthetic rear end lube???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Just my opinion, but if you have a tank large enough to boil in, get some Laurel Mountain rusting agent from Brownell's. Do a proper rust blue. You'll have something that looks great and has a lasting finish. I've had a lot of guns brought my way that had been cold blued, and so far nobody was happy with the end result. I've even had a couple that seemed to be harder to refinish because of something in the cold blue chemicals. I won't swear that was the cause, but I ran across problems with the rust not taking evenly that I had never experienced on guns without having had those chemicals applied...... The Laurel Mt. product seems to be very user friendly, and includes a degreaser in the formula, so it helps that potential a bit. Final polish is critical, and you should still try to eliminate any oils and keep them away throughout the process, but it is pretty easy to use for someone new to the process.
    Luck,
    Jim

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just my opinion, but if you have a tank large enough to boil in, get some Laurel Mountain rusting agent from Brownell's. Do a proper rust blue. You'll have something that looks great and has a lasting finish. I've had a lot of guns brought my way that had been cold blued, and so far nobody was happy with the end result. I've even had a couple that seemed to be harder to refinish because of something in the cold blue chemicals. I won't swear that was the cause, but I ran across problems with the rust not taking evenly that I had never experienced on guns without having had those chemicals applied...... The Laurel Mt. product seems to be very user friendly, and includes a degreaser in the formula, so it helps that potential a bit. Final polish is critical, and you should still try to eliminate any oils and keep them away throughout the process, but it is pretty easy to use for someone new to the process.
    Luck,
    Jim

The process I am going to us involved boiling. Not doing the cold blue as there have been a lot of good folks steer me this way.

Top Bottom