• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    I'm not a snob by any means, but I bought this Mr. Coffee grinder and have been thoroughly impressed with it. You can choose your grind setting (fine-course) and how many cups you want ground. It will automatically grind enough for 1-18 cups. I frequently make 6-8 cup pots of coffee and this grinds the perfect amount every time. Plus being stainless steel, it looks nice sitting on the counter. It can be had at Walmart or Target for less than $40. I just buy Eight O'clock original whole beans and I enjoy my coffee every morning. I can definitely tell a difference in grinding your own versus buying ground coffee.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      130.3 KB · Views: 3

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My all time favorite is Jacobs Körnig, but I have a very hard time finding it any more. I have to have my son get it from the Army Commisary when he can. It is a very dark, rich roast, finely ground from Europe. Makes a heartily strong but surprisingly not bitter brew. Costco used to have great beans, but sadly they have severed ties with the vendor and removed the roasters from the stores. These days I survive by buying whole bean 8 O'clock and grinding my own for each pot. It suffices, but I'd love to find a bean roasted like the Körnig.
    I think I have the same beans too. Meijer had them on sale a while back and we bought 8 bags of them. My better half can't stand the taste to all the more for me :): My BIL and his GF brought back some great coffee from Hawaii, not all of which has been brewed up yet.

I grind my own beans (grinder has no setting for coarseness so it's user lead) and drink my coffee with cream or black. Occasionally with a generous measure of Jameson :yesway:

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    My woman would tell ya, " I'm like an angry beaver at a wood workers convention" without my coffee in the morn. Dunkin Donuts is awesome! Kinda expensive and your probably paying for the name, but damn it's good stuff!

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The best coffee I have ever had is roasted by Old Crown Coffee in Fort Wayne. It is called The Ninth Degree of Darkness.

As the name implies it is a dark roast. Bold, flavorful, and extremely low in acidity. :coffee:

ThatsLife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used to grind my own beans (Starbucks Komodo Dragon) and use a french press. I drink my coffee black and this resulted in a good strong cup. However, my son is 2yrs old now and I am just greatful for a couple of cups from my Keurig. It's weak but it's quick.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    There's beans, roasts, and grind. I'll stick just to 'regular' coffee as opposed to 'unleaded' (decaffeinated), as drinking decaf is somewhat akin to pouring a half glass of beer and adding water for the other half, LOL...

Looking for 'top notch' beans takes it to Jamaica Blue Mountain, but not 'blends', not "Jamaican High Mountain", etc. It'll need to be Jamaican Blue from the Wallensford Estate. But it's pricey.

JMO, but if you'd like 99+% of the favor at (approximately) 1/5 the price, try Tanzanian Kilimanjaro Peaberry. Because the coffee 'cherry' produces only one 'pea' (instead of two halves, like typical coffee beans. Hence the reason the bean is flat on one side, like a pecan), all the 'flavor' is condensed into the one, smaller peaberry.

Freshness is paramount, if you're seeking 'maximum' flavor. MOST coffee in cans, even in bags on store shelves is, perhaps, 6 months old. Coffee is perishable like any organic fruit, vegetable, or nut. It will go stale after a period of time. The 'rule of thumb' is 30 days. Whether it's kept in the freezer, the refrigerator, or in a canister on the counter. It'll start to taste stale (if you've ever had stale potato chips, you know the taste). It's 'better' now with vacuum packaging, etc.

Still, for the most part, most coffee that most people drink does not have that 'fresh taste' ya immediately smell when first opening a can or package. That great aroma is how the coffee is supposed to taste. So, the fresher the beans, the fresher the taste (duh!). If that's what you're seeking, buy only enough to last you (approximately) 30 days. Buy whole bean if possible, and keep it whole bean until ready to use. Less surface area exposed to the air at any given time, simple physics. Grind just enough to use 'immediately' (whether that's for one cup, or for an urn for a party), and leave the rest whole bean until you need it again.

The roast is also important, as the longer the roasting time, the 'darker' (and one might say, more 'intense') the flavor. Try Italian or French roast (if you have the option).

A finer grind also exposes more surface area to the water during the brewing process. Grinders (particularly) the more expensive (and/or commercial) grinders may well have "Perculator", "Auto-Drip", "Espresso", etc. settings, so the clerk at the counter (depending on where you buy the coffee, of course) may ask what kind of coffee maker you have. The finer grinds will also provide 'stronger' coffee with less coffee used, so it helps save a few bucks, as well. Why use a lot of ground coffee when you can obtain the same level of flavor with less?

Too much coffee does NOT make 'stronger coffee', it just makes the coffee bitter. And wastes ground coffee. Want better (or stronger) flavor? Buy better beans with a darker roast. MOST 'canned' coffee, and virtually all flavored coffee (at least, that available in the U.S.) uses Mexican / South American Arabica beans, as Arabica is a mild-flavor with mild acidity. The 'upside' is that mild flavor is well-suited for flavoring or 'generic' tastes. The 'downside' is it's not as 'intense' in flavor as (true) Jamaican Blue Wallensford Estate, Tanzania Peaberry, Hawaii Kona, Ethiopia Yergacheffe, Sumatra Mandheling, and so forth.

Everyone has their preference, of course. JMO, but some coffees tend to have a 'dirty' taste (too 'earthy', as it's called) for my taste. After trying every one available (about 35) I could locate, finally settled on Tanzanian Peaberry. As noted earlier, Jamaican Blue Wallensford Estate is fabulous, but Tanzanian Peaberry is (to my taste buds) 99+% the same, while 20% of the price. A great bargain, then. YMMV.

And, if you're asking, "Yes". I have tried Kopi Luwak, the famous "cat poop coffee" probably best noted in the Jack Nicholson / Morgan Freeman movie "The Bucket List". And the newer "Black Ivory Coffee" (yielded from elephant dung rather than the dung of the palm civet). Both also taste like :poop: But HEY, if ya just gotta HAVE the worlds most expensive coffee (@ about $350 / lb. for Kopi Luwak and $500 / lb. for Black Ivory), you can buy a quarter pound and say ya had it! :laugh:

Last edited:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My woman would tell ya, " I'm like an angry beaver at a wood workers convention" without my coffee in the morn. Dunkin Donuts is awesome! Kinda expensive and your probably paying for the name, but damn it's good stuff!

I agree! I buy a pound of regular and a pound of decaf, ground, then mix them in a large container when I get home. Just wish there was a DD store closer to Bloomington than the one in Camby. Usually I have Folgers Half-Caf, but a couple of times a week, I hit the DD.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I went through some of the stages myself. Ground my own beans. French press. Espresso machine, espresso stove top... I enjoyed doing it at the time and pretending it made a huge difference in my coffee. Now I just have a good brew machine (Cuisinart) and get good fresh ground coffee (Starbucks, Gevalia, Seattle's Best, etc.). I rotate around for the variety of flavors.

This is pretty much the progression I took over many, many years of trying to get a Starbucks at home and not pay $4 per cup. I have a very expensive espresso machine that I don't use any more, instead I buy Starbucks Espresso Roast beans and grind them with my cool drop grinder (https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...2.5&ei=OMoDVK7kLoisyAT204GYDA&ved=0CH4QpiswAA) then brew a pot of very strong coffee (Barista). I sweeten it with vanilla syrup and about 10% milk.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have been buying green Guatamalen beans and roasting them in the hot air popper for over a year now (maybe 2) and have been happy with the results. I roast enough for a month at a time so I don't have to do it as often. Making it on the stove in the old percolator is best, but we are usually lazy and just do it in the coffeemaker so we don't have to watch it. Folgers and Maxwell House both give us indigestion and it made us wonder just what the heck is in that stuff. Then I bought various types of whole bean coffee at the store but the green bean route is cheaper and I know there are no additives.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have been buying green Guatamalen beans and roasting them in the hot air popper for over a year now (maybe 2) and have been happy with the results...

Maybe it's just me, but a year seems like a long time to roast beans. I bet that coffee is not going to be any good. I'm just sayin'. :rofl:

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    If it hasn't already been mentioned you should go to The Coffee Brake company on allisonvile and 62nd street. (Indy)

Try to get something he has freshly roasted.

Smoothest coffee in the world no bitter after taste.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If it hasn't already been mentioned you should go to The Coffee Brake company on allisonvile and 62nd street. (Indy)

Try to get something he has freshly roasted.

Smoothest coffee in the world no bitter after taste.

That'd be a trip and half for the OP. If you're in Indy you can also get fresh roasted at Bee Coffee Roasters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Although I drink coffee on most days, I do not know a lot about it and would like to further my understanding and would like to get some 'good' stuff to try out. I used to just drink Foldgers, and don't actually dislike it but when I'd run out of coffee I'd pick up something new each time when grocery shopping. I tried the normal stuff, the 8 o'clock brand, Dunkin Donuts, Seattle's Best, etc. Right now I've been drinking Gevalia and love the smell and taste, I just bought a second bag of it when getting groceries last night and am not disappointed (sipping on some now). I don't know what about it is exactly different from the other stuff, but it just smells good and tastes good as well.

Should I get a french press or grind my own beans? I just want a good, strong coffee. I always sweeten mine with (real) honey and a splash of milk, if it matters.

I grind my own and drink it with honey as well. Westrock Rwanda is what I like, bag has great graphics as well.:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom