• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It's really pretty cool, but I start to feel old when I begin thinking about how one day I'll have to tell my grandkids how we got our soda "in the good old days!" :fogey:

Feel old????
    :facepalm:
    Do you remember the pop machines that you put your nickel in the slot, then pushed down on the handle to pivot the next returnable bottle into the delivery chute?
    Or the pop dispenser where you opened the lid, slid your returnable glass bottle from the rails that kept the pop immersed in cold water, moved the bottle along the rails to the dispense area, put your nickel in the slot, then pulled up on the bottle through the rocker to get it out of the ice box?
    I do..... :D

Damn......
    Now I feel old again... :(

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Feel old????
    :facepalm:
    Do you remember the pop machines that you put your nickel in the slot, then pushed down on the handle to pivot the next returnable bottle into the delivery chute?
    Or the pop dispenser where you opened the lid, slid your returnable glass bottle from the rails that kept the pop immersed in cold water, moved the bottle along the rails to the dispense area, put your nickel in the slot, then pulled up on the bottle through the rocker to get it out of the ice box?
    I do..... :D

Damn......
    Now I feel old again... :(

Now I'm not that damn old. :):

I can remember taking glass coke bottles back to Kroger with my mom when we went to the store when I was younger, but the vast majority of coke machines sold cans, 20oz plastic bottles were pretty cutting edge when I was growing up.

For whatever reason (maybe a different formula?), Coke still tastes it's best ice cold right out of a glass bottle. I don't know why, but it just does.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

I can remember taking glass coke bottles back to Kroger with my mom when we went to the store when I was younger, but the vast majority of coke machines sold cans, 20oz plastic bottles were pretty cutting edge when I was growing up.

For whatever reason (maybe a different formula?), Coke still tastes it's best ice cold right out of a glass bottle. I don't know why, but it just does.
    When I was a kid all cans had to be opened with a "Church key".
    The pull tab was invented by Ermal C Fraze (An Indiana native) and patented in 1963.
    Inventor of the Week: Archive

Thus endeth the lesson...;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I remember returning bottles when I was a kid.

And Coke absolutely tastes better out of a glass bottle.

Tried Jewish or Mexican Coke? (not a joke) It tastes different (and possibly better, I'm undecided) because they both use real cane sugar instead of processed sugar and sweetener.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I remember returning bottles when I was a kid.

And Coke absolutely tastes better out of a glass bottle.

Tried Jewish or Mexican Coke? (not a joke) It tastes different (and possibly better, I'm undecided) because they both use real cane sugar instead of processed sugar and sweetener.

I've heard of Mexican coke before, never had it though.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    One of the Burger Kings here in Richmond has one! My son, who is Type 1 diabetic, loves them!! He has a choice other than Diet Coke, or Diet Coke! We also went to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in Virginia beach, and they had a massive selection of coke products, must have had one of those...................LOVE IT!!!!!

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I was in Atlanta recently and these machines were all over town (Coca Colas HQ); I think they will be all over town(s) here soon.

It was fun trying Coke / Diet Coke with lemon, lime, cherry, etc. (seemed like the old soda fountains - I can barely remember these).

:cheers:

MedicMonty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The owner of the noodle place on 96th asked me what I thought of the Freestyle machine. He was absolutely floored when I told him that sometimes we pick where to eat based on the drinks they serve. Made me wonder why he decided to put in the machine if he didn't think it was going to help his business.

Wonder if Coke is the one bearing the cost and offering it to restaurants to keep the restaurant buying the mixes?

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I've heard of Mexican coke before, never had it though.

They've got it at Sams. Tastes like a cross between coke and pepsi. Don't know if it's the sugar or what. Doesn't quite have the "bite" that murican coke has.:dunno:

They also have Mexican Coke at Costco in Castleton for about $19 a case. I find that the flavor is not really different but that it is more crisp and refreshing. It does not seem to stick to your mouth and teeth the same way that HFCS Coke does.

IMO, it is this difference that is partly to blame for the decline of soda popularity and the rise of the popularity of sports drinks and bottled water. HFCS sodas are just not as refreshing as those with cane sugar.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mexican coke now has HFCS. KOSHER Coca Cola uses cane sugar.
    Some Mexican Coke has HFCS. Not all. It's labelled and you can read whether it has Fructose or Sucrose. As for Kosher Coke, you're right. Unfortunately, it's Kosher for Passover and is only made for a very limited time and area around Passover, (unless you live in Israel). HFCS is Kosher, just not Kosher for Passover.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, it's set up so you can mix and match. There are even online apps and recipes for certain mixes. I'm a big fan of the Fanta flavours in the Freestyle. No mixing for me.

Dig Fanta too, unfortunately I haven't found one of these new machines that have the Fanta Cherry Limeade. Tried it yet?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Its great till you have to wait forever for the little girl in front of you scrolling through all the flavas. But it is pretty coo I suppose

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Its great till you have to wait forever for the little girl in front of you scrolling through all the flavas. But it is pretty coo I suppose

Agreed, I have seen that at the Five Guys in Ft Wayne. They have one and while it is neat, it slows down the process when they are buys. Instead of just putting your drink under the spout and the possibility of multiple people using it at once, you go do one where you go through menus to choose brand and then if you want any additional flavors.

But its worth it because they have strawberry powerade zero.

Top Bottom