• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Today, my wife and I, as well as some friends of ours, attended Coach's Basic Pistol Class at MCFG. I have never had any formal training and felt this would be a good start to build on for future training. My primary motivation was to get my wife involved. She is very pro 2A and grew up around guns although she has very limited experience shooting them.

I've done my best to help guide her out on the range but quite frankly, I'm no expert and all of us married guys know exactly how much our wives listen to us :D So, I told her about this class and she was immediately interested. I reached to Coach and he got us set up in the class.

The whole experience, from the first PM to the last shot was absolutely fantastic. You really couldn't ask for a better teacher. The upfront communication was precise and timely. Not a bunch of BS, just direct answers to my questions and direct instructions on what to expect and what to bring.

We arrived and were greeted with a few other INGO members in the class. There were 7 of us in total, 4 men and 3 ladies. The first 2 hours involved classroom training covering safety, grip, trigger control, sight alignment, safety, slapping the trigger vs riding the trigger, different types of actions, safety, secure storing, and of course, SAFETY.

If I'm honest, I was a dreading the 2 hour classroom portion of the training. We received an email containing the handout of what was covered and there were only a few parts I felt I needed some additional information on. However, although most of it was very not new information, Coach does an awesome job of presenting the information in a fun and engaging way. The time really flew by. Most importantly, my wife learned many new things.

The 4 rules of firearm safety was really drilled home. My wife already knew these rules as they are "House Rules" when you step into my home. The good news/bad news is that she got to experience exactly why these rules are in place to begin with. Before the first shot was fired in our group, she tried to decock the P22 by squeezing the trigger and catching the hammer (honestly, I don't know what possessed her to try this. That was completely new) and she squeezed off a round instead :eek:

Luckily, no one was hurt and the 3 remaining rules were being followed. That was the biggest, but not the only, lesson she learned today and now has a real world experience to draw from which has already made her more aware.

What really impressed me was the time Coach spent with my wife and my buddy's wife. He really took the time to work with them, diagnose problems, teach malfunction manipulations (as there were many for them) and he did it in such a way that really build up their confidence. We had lunch afterwards and the girls were just aglow with all their new knowledge and feeling great about how they performed and were able to overcome obstacles.

Even for me, I walked away a better shooter. Coach showed us how to ride the trigger which was a tactic I was unfamiliar with. After 4 shots that were hits but wider than I like, I got the hang of it and what a difference it makes!

If you have never had any formal training, you really owe it to yourself and your loved ones to take one of his classes. At the price point, it's an amazing value. If you're wife, girlfriend, mom, boyfriend, husband, etc.... has a new interest in firearms, as so many good people do right now, this is an outstanding class for them to take.

I'm personally looking forward to working with Coach in the future. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for the next Intermediate Pistol class he offers in my general area.

Thank you again Coach for the awesome training day! :rockwoot:

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Thanks for posting the review, I just purchased my first gun today and am going to look into taking a class with Coach, he gets good reviews and the cost doesn't break the bank.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks for posting the review, I just purchased my first gun today and am going to look into taking a class with Coach, he gets good reviews and the cost doesn't break the bank.

That's awesome. Congrats on picking up your first handgun. You'll definitely get a lot out of the class.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Thanks for the recap - I seriously considered trying to sign up and making the drive down but had to work on animals for county fair. Will keep an eye out for future dates.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Today, my wife and I, as well as some friends of ours, attended Coach's Basic Pistol Class at MCFG. I have never had any formal training and felt this would be a good start to build on for future training. My primary motivation was to get my wife involved. She is very pro 2A and grew up around guns although she has very limited experience shooting them.

I've done my best to help guide her out on the range but quite frankly, I'm no expert and all of us married guys know exactly how much our wives listen to us :D So, I told her about this class and she was immediately interested. I reached to Coach and he got us set up in the class.

The whole experience, from the first PM to the last shot was absolutely fantastic. You really couldn't ask for a better teacher. The upfront communication was precise and timely. Not a bunch of BS, just direct answers to my questions and direct instructions on what to expect and what to bring.

We arrived and were greeted with a few other INGO members in the class. There were 7 of us in total, 4 men and 3 ladies. The first 2 hours involved classroom training covering safety, grip, trigger control, sight alignment, safety, slapping the trigger vs riding the trigger, different types of actions, safety, secure storing, and of course, SAFETY.

If I'm honest, I was a dreading the 2 hour classroom portion of the training. We received an email containing the handout of what was covered and there were only a few parts I felt I needed some additional information on. However, although most of it was very not new information, Coach does an awesome job of presenting the information in a fun and engaging way. The time really flew by. Most importantly, my wife learned many new things.

The 4 rules of firearm safety was really drilled home. My wife already knew these rules as they are "House Rules" when you step into my home. The good news/bad news is that she got to experience exactly why these rules are in place to begin with. Before the first shot was fired in our group, she tried to decock the P22 by squeezing the trigger and catching the hammer (honestly, I don't know what possessed her to try this. That was completely new) and she squeezed off a round instead :eek:

Luckily, no one was hurt and the 3 remaining rules were being followed. That was the biggest, but not the only, lesson she learned today and now has a real world experience to draw from which has already made her more aware.

What really impressed me was the time Coach spent with my wife and my buddy's wife. He really took the time to work with them, diagnose problems, teach malfunction manipulations (as there were many for them) and he did it in such a way that really build up their confidence. We had lunch afterwards and the girls were just aglow with all their new knowledge and feeling great about how they performed and were able to overcome obstacles.

Even for me, I walked away a better shooter. Coach showed us how to ride the trigger which was a tactic I was unfamiliar with. After 4 shots that were hits but wider than I like, I got the hang of it and what a difference it makes!

If you have never had any formal training, you really owe it to yourself and your loved ones to take one of his classes. At the price point, it's an amazing value. If you're wife, girlfriend, mom, boyfriend, husband, etc.... has a new interest in firearms, as so many good people do right now, this is an outstanding class for them to take.

I'm personally looking forward to working with Coach in the future. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for the next Intermediate Pistol class he offers in my general area.

Thank you again Coach for the awesome training day! :rockwoot:

No need to repeat what was said above, great class as I have learned a few things to improve my shooting.

Turf Doctor

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

He's a great trainer, I've done 2 classes and a personal training session and they've all been worth it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to everyone for attending my classes and for the kind words here.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Coach is an awesome instructor. I went through one of his basic pistol classes earlier on the year. The only thing that sucked was my brother-in-law and I freezing our butts off, was one of those cold windy February days.

My wife and her cousin is taking some private instruction from him this week, and she is really looking forward to it as this is her first formal class and has only shot 50 rounds of 9mm ever(last friday)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom