• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I had the bug and ordered 2 service grade Garands from CMP. I decided on an HRA and a 6 million series Springfield. The suspense was over last week. The HRA arrived in USGI walnut with a great HRA barrel and some Springfield and Winchester parts.
    100_3253_zps14812874.jpg

100_3255_zps3ab356ba.jpg

100_3256_zps351f418e.jpg

The Springfield 6 million came dressed in new wood, looks like Birch. Beautiful original park finish, with the green tint, that is excellent. National Match barrel, clear and shining. I was excited to see that. All Springfield parts. I am still applying the raw linseed oil to the stock.

In all another great experience, I must say, especially for ordering a rifle unseen and having it Fed Ex shipped to my door.
    DSC_0054_zpsaf0588af.jpg

DSC_0049_zpsd68a0e56.jpg

DSC_0046_zpse8e02b7f.jpg

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    The H&R was $625 and the Springfield 6 mil was $675. Regular service grade Springfields are usually $625, but they had a group of the 6 million series, somewhat more rare I guess. The 6 mil was the last of the Garands made USGI from what I gather so I ordered one. Sounded neat, and I didnt have one in that serial # range Springfield.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm still thinking about a February weekend trip to the north CMP store, if anyone would like to join me and share the cost of gas. I dream of having a nice Garand. I'll bring it up again closer to February.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    thanks for posting. i really want to get a service grade one, and its nice to see pictures of what you get at that grade.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    CMP in Feb. BUUUUURRRRR, And Ice coating everything from the lake spray......

That is not when i go because the Jolly Rodger resturant is not open in the winter months. If you have not been to the Jolly Rodger it is a small seasonal resturant that does seafood and fish. The perch and walleye is great and I am not a big fish eater.

No trip to the CMP north store is complete (IMHO) without a perch platter at the Jolly Rodger. I takes 4 hours one way from my house and expect to spend an hour at least at the CMP. One hour for lunch, and a couple of restroom breaks. So at least a 10 hour trip in a day. If you find a treasure it is well worth the trip.

There is also no easy road to Port Clinton from Central Indiana.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Well come on, man! You posted over 12 hours ago, and the pics are beautiful, but

how do they shoot??

What are you waiting for?

ol' poke.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Both those rifles are absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I just got one last week, a service grade Springfield in the 5 million serial range.

I loaded up some match ammo but now wouldn't you know it, the hurricane is causing havoc with the weather. I'm chomping at the bit to get it out to the range.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Wow, a 6 million range SA with a NM barrel, you did good. SA Garands in the 6 million range tend to bring a premium with original examples going in the $2000-2500 range.

:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    CMP in Feb. BUUUUURRRRR, And Ice coating everything from the lake spray......

That is not when i go because the Jolly Rodger resturant is not open in the winter months. If you have not been to the Jolly Rodger it is a small seasonal resturant that does seafood and fish. The perch and walleye is great and I am not a big fish eater.

No trip to the CMP north store is complete (IMHO) without a perch platter at the Jolly Rodger. I takes 4 hours one way from my house and expect to spend an hour at least at the CMP. One hour for lunch, and a couple of restroom breaks. So at least a 10 hour trip in a day. If you find a treasure it is well worth the trip.

There is also no easy road to Port Clinton from Central Indiana.

Yeah, but that's what Jeeps are for. Anyway, I figure three other factors: First, I usually have a little bit of disposable income that time of year, and second, because the weather sucks and few make the journey, the selection might be better. Third, what the hell is there better to do that time of year??:dunno:

It also gives something to look forward to during the winter doldrums. I was also thinking of leaving Friday evening and putting 4 or 5 hours behind me.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Congrats on the beautiful rifles. Skinr, I'd be interested in tagging along for a camp pilgrimage. Could always use another m1

Shoot me a PM in December and we'll try and make the plans more concrete. Two other guys would be great. If the weather sucks, I'll take the Jeep. If it is decent, I've got a car that gets better mileage, and can boogie down the road faster. Either way, we'd make it a classic road trip!

Top Bottom