• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I recently bought a new Bushmaster AR. I wll be taking it out tomoorow to shoot it for the first time. I have read the manual for strippping it down and have watched several videos on the procedure. My question is what cleaning supplies work best for this type of weapon. In the past on other guns I rely on Hoppe's #9 cleaner, a bore brush and Remington spray oil. Any suggestions?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    +1 on the boresnake. I am a purist, so OD green standard issue M16 cleaning kit for me! :D:D

CLP is a great cleaner/lube, specifically in the barrel. IF left in the barrel, CLP acts as a very slow but non-invasive copper remover! Patch of CLP (not LP, which is also available from Breakfree, just a thicker variant with no cleaners in it, get both!) down the barrel after Hoppes, let sit for a week, then run a dry patch, then another of CLP and you are done!

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    +1 on the Bore Snake and the Breakfree. Breakfree is good stuff. We used it all the time on our issued weapons when I was in the Army.

Also Otis makes a pretty neat AR/M16 cleaning kit.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As far as chemicals, most will tell you CLP for an AR (I recommend FP-10). For the bore, I use Shooter's Choice and JB Bore Paste.

As for cleaning rods, I REALLY like the ones made by Dewey. Vinyl coated helps protect bore from muzzle crown to chamber.

I have a use a bore snake for daily cleaning (I don't shoot my rifle daily, but I don't go full out bore brush/solvent/patches/etc every time either.)

There is a product called a Chamber Maid that has a brass brush on a short and stiff piece of braided cable with a plastic handle that is GREAT for cleaning out the chamber and lugs. Thanks, Rhino.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    You're supposed to clean them? I figured since they assault people all by themselves they should clean themselves, too! :D

DRob

:yesway: Now I like that thought and sometimes wait to see if it happens. No luck so far.

I honestly see guys that think a total rebuild is part of a regular cleaning. I keep the bore, chamber, and so on sprayed and swabbed out and just give it a good strip and cleaning occasionally. The more you mess with something the better the chance you're going to mess it up. I'd rather shoot the things than work on them.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    +1 on the boresnake

I do have a pistol rod that I attach a bore/chamber brush do along with a chamber mop. Other than that the boresnake, old tshirts, and a few old toothbrushes

I used clp for years...switched to this after being introduced to it.

SLiP2000™ - Official Site

The carbon killer is the great. You can reuse it over and over. The 725, carbon killer, and ewl lube are all I use any more. It's also non-hazardous and biodegradable if that matters.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Boresnake, GP brush and CLP will serve you well and give you a good "everyday" type cleaning. For detail cleanings I use other things such as those cog shaped chamber cleaning swabs, pipe cleaners, dental picks GI cleaning rods, etc, etc, etc.

Kick the RemOil to the curb.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Dewey also makes a short rod that has an attachment that uses a 1 inch rolled gauze that cleans behind the lugs. Works great, and available from Brownells or MidwayUSA.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Ithink the barrel has been covered here just dont forget to clean the bolt & rings every time,corrosion can start there easy . I take the bolt carrier out ,turn it upside down and hose the chamber/upper/lower with brake cleaner,gets everything out ,let dry a few minutes and relube,then do the bolt/carrier the same.swab the inside of the carrier well at back to prevent carbon buildup.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I use the same green M-16 cleaning kit I was issued in the Air Force. I also use CLP and Breakfree. Been thinking about purchasing a bore snake but would rather spend extra money on more ammo to send downrange. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    boresnakes are great because they keep you from damaging the rifling which is very easy to do. I think most people overlook how easy it is to ruin the edges of the lands. Other than that it dip-and-drip for the lube for me.

Top Bottom