• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Hello all. I'm a bit new to gun cleaning and was curious some of your opinions and experience with a few different products.

1) Super QCG - I picked up a spray bottle of it at the 1500 back in January. The bottle describes it as a "Cleaner - Micro Lubricant - Rust Inhibitor - Moisture Dissipator" I've used it a few times on my XDM and it cleaned up my new CZ P-01 just fine. Things feel smooth without being oily.

2) RIG Universal - I bought it a few years ago to maintain an old High Standard .22 pistol I have. After use and cleaning I apply a light coat all about the old pistol.

3) Hoppe's #9 Lubricating Oil in a spray can. It came as part of a shotgun cleaning kit my brother gave to me. I've not used it yet.

4) Hoppe's #9 Powder Solvent also from the kit. A barrel cleaner, but I've yet to use it.

5) Rem Oil with Teflon Lubricant

I also use a Hoppe's Boresnake and a Silicone Gun cloth by Outer's.

Thanks for any input. In the meantime, I'll watch a few of many "how to" cleaning videos on YouTube.

Cheers.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Hoppe's Solvent is a great barrel cleaner.

The Rem Oil is a great general lubricant and rust preventative.

I use automotive grease on most of the metal to metal parts.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I agree with Sporter on the Hoppe's and the Rem oil. I would ad that for the trigger group I use Remington Dry Lube and then wipe the gun down with an Outers silicone cloth.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    I degrease / pre clean with non chlorinated break cleaner all the metal parts. Even though they say its safe I avoid using this on polymer parts just in case long term problems were to occur.

I then use hoppes #9 to clean the polymer and degreased metal parts.

If I still see color in the bore I will use bore foam cleaner (if I have been shooting unjacketed or semi jacketed I also use an outers product that works more agressively on lead since many bore cleaners nowdays are focused on copper).

After everything is spick and span I apply a coat of eezox to bare metal parts and let cure.

Finally I lube with either high temp bearing grease containing moly or clp depending on whether I need grease or thin film.

Only thing to be careful of is the firing pin chhannel / internals. After break cleaner I lube lightly with clp then blow the excess out with canned air so it doesn't gum up.

Final step is dry cycle to spread lube around and make sure I put it back together correctly, check safety functions, and wipedown with silicone cloth all over.

I am not particularly loyal to any particular brand or product. Once my can of clp runs out I have bottles of mp7 rem oil etc that will get used to lube.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    If you are new to cleaning, then why don't you just stick to a CLP..

Personally, I would never use Hoppes #9 on any gun I care about.
    It tends to eat away at a lot of different things.
    But thats me so to each his own.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Thanks for the input. It seems CLP is pretty popular. A few of the videos I've watched swear by it.

I'll just have to head to the range this weekend and get the pistols extra dirty and then practice.

Cheers.
    :draw:

billet-boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Would this also depend on how long your guns sit between shoots? On an everday carry piece that gets cleaned more often i would think any light oil would be ok? i really like the "ezzox"

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Solvent:

Butch's Bore Shine
    Hoppe's

Lubricant:

Mil Comm TW 25 (grease for slides)
    TW 3000 semiliquid
    FP-10

Protectant:

Birchwood Casey Sheath

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    To clean bore - Foaming Bore cleaner (non - gas operated autos).
    Overall cleaning - Break Free Powder Blast.
    Lubrication - Break Free CLP
    Daily wipe down with silicone cloth.

Top Bottom