• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I need a good cleaning kit for my new XD 9mm, and there are so many options out there, how's a noob to know what's what? I would also like to get the right brushes for .45 and .38 and this looked like a good deal:

Amazon.com: Otis Professional Pistol Cleaning System: Sports & Outdoors

I've also never encountered an AIO cleaner/solvent/lubricant before, has anyone used it that likes it?

I did a search and didn't see a lot on the topic, so I figured I would ask. I would love to hear some recommendations from the good folks here. Apologies if this isn't the right spot. :cool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is all I use... Nothing fancy, but it does have a brass patch holder instead of plastic, which I like a lot. About 7 bucks at Walmart. Very compact and easy to toss in a range bag.

DAC_WINHGC.jpg

As for the AIO cleaner, I use QCG spray, but I mainly use it as a light lubricant/protectant. I use Hoppes down the bore, give everything a spray of QCG, and a light wipe down, then CLP on things like slide rails and bolts. Patch with a little CLP down the bore when I'm done.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    CLP and a bore snake for every pistol I own. Cleans them up great! I spray a little outers bore blaster in there if I have some lube residue from extended range sessions. I only own brushes to use on my revolvers cylinders, boresnakes for all bores.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    This is all I use... Nothing fancy, but it does have a brass patch holder instead of plastic, which I like a lot. About 7 bucks at Walmart. Very compact and easy to toss in a range bag.

I grabbed one of these as well. Does not take up much room, weighs nothing and does what I need it to do. I like the idea of a snake for a quick on the fly solution for those times that I do not want to thoroughly clean the entire firearm.

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012

DAC_WINHGC.jpg

As for the AIO cleaner, I use QCG spray, but I mainly use it as a light lubricant/protectant. I use Hoppes down the bore, give everything a spray of QCG, and a light wipe down, then CLP on things like slide rails and bolts. Patch with a little CLP down the bore when I'm done.

Nice, thanks for posting. Will pick one up tomorrow.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally, I will not own a Cleaning kit that does not also have Rods in it. Cables and Snakes do not make good tools to clean obstructions out of Barrels and Chambers...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you're also looking for portable stuff (field kit), you can't beat Patchworm. I've got one in my range bag, one in my cleaning stuff at home, and one that lives in my van ...because you just never know when something will cross your path that you want to either:
    A) clean the bore to see what shape it's in as a condition to buy...or...
    B) Clean something you impulse-bought so you can stop at the range and shoot it before even going home.
    Since it's for nearly all calibers, it's really handy!! PatchWorm

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you're also looking for portable stuff (field kit), you can't beat Patchworm. I've got one in my range bag, one in my cleaning stuff at home, and one that lives in my van ...because you just never know when something will cross your path that you want to either:
    A) clean the bore to see what shape it's in as a condition to buy...or...
    B) Clean something you impulse-bought so you can stop at the range and shoot it before even going home.
    Since it's for nearly all calibers, it's really handy!! PatchWorm
    Interesting. I've never seen these before. They could be quite handy for a quick field swab. Thanks JG.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Interesting. I've never seen these before. They could be quite handy for a quick field swab. Thanks JG.

You won't be disappointed.
    They come with two little containers of patches (one pre-soaked with Ballistol...one dry), but instead of buying more from them, the .22 (square) patches from ProShot work great (found at most gun shows - last place I picked 6 or 7 bags up was Indy 1500 for about $10 per bag. Ish). I just always have a stack of them shoved in the plastic bag, too.

Pro-Shot_500ct_1pt125in_sqs.large.jpg

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I have and Otis cleaning kit and it cleans very well. I have one that had rods too,but the otis gets used the most. The key is good brushes . The ones that come with otis cleaning kit are not the best but I like the coated cables.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010

DAC_WINHGC.jpg

+1

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My t-shirts and worn out toothbrushes always end up to be gun cleaning equipment. An ink pen or pencil will push a patch made from the t-shirt through the bore. K-1 kerosene for the space heater is the solvent.

Drain oil from the Harley works for lube.

I am low tech.

I do like the Otis cable for my rifles........

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I'm beginning to feel like cleaning and lubing processes are like butt holes. Everybody has one and they are sure that there's doesn't stink.

Sorry...not really grumpy just watched five AR cleaning videos in which somehow 8 completely contradictory pieces of advice were given.

I'll be over there >>>>> just rocking back and forth humming.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I use the Otis m4/m9 cleaning kit.Works great for my needs since I only shoot 9mm and 223/5.56. I also have the Winchester pistol cleaning kit like the one pictured above.Both are good to go and compact.Either fits very well in a BOB or range bag.

Top Bottom