• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have a new cast-iron frying pan, made in the USA, which is already seasoned.

My question is, how should I clean it? I read that some people just wipe them down with a paper towel, others use water and a clean dish towel, and several variations.

And do I ever have to "re-season" it?

Your input on this subject are appreciated!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I usually just wipe them down with a dry cloth. If you get food stuck or have some buildup that a spatula can't handle, just use salt as an abrasive, rinse and re-season. Actually, any time I get mine wet, I wipe them down and smear a little oil on them with a paper towel. I toss them in the oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes.

I was always told to never use soap and water, so I don't. I've got a pan that belonged to my great grandma that is just awesome. I figured if she didn't use soap, I won't either.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    Wipe with paper towel, if really dirty, wash with hot water, then place on range and dry with heat, and re-season with a little bit of oil. Do not let any water stay on it very long. Wiping with dish towel will leave moisture on surface.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks, this is helpful.

So re-seasoning basically means, "Wipe it out and put a thin layer of oil on it, then bake it in." yes?

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    A well seasoned skillet is a treasure. If it is done well and cared for well it is as easy to cook with as modern teflon-coated pans.

Wipe the skillet with paper towels. Do not put it in soapy water! If you must use a dishrag, use one that has not even ben dipped in the wash water. My wife and I have a dishrag dedicated to the cast iron. After wiping clean, use a clean paper towel and lightly wipe inside the skillet with oil (mineral or olive is what we use) before putting away.

A good season should last for years unless something is overcooked or burned in it, but it is not hard to re-season. Get it clean, wipe a generous coat of oil (vegetable, olive, or even spray pam), put in the oven about 200-250 for 2.5-3 hours.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i have always used salt and oil, then rub with a green scrub pad (scotch brite) dedicated for use on my cast iron, and wipe out with a paper towel. the insides of my skillets are jet black, and water droplets will slide without hardly leaving a trail.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have cast iron cookware that is easy 60 years old and some newer as well. I like old hand me downs and yard sale finds much better. They cook with more character and stay clean easier IMO.
    If you really want some great stuff look for pans cast in Piqua, OH. They are OLD and you may pay a bit more, but well worth it.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cast Iron is what we use 90% of the time. I have a mix of old pans my grandmother gave me and some new. We use hot water and salt to clean them. after that they get a paper towel and put on the burner to dry. we have not been re-seasoning the one we use almost daily. the ones we use off and on will get a wipe of oil after cleaning. That is the nice thing about them. if the finish gets messed up just start over. not a big deal..LOL

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your input on this subject are appreciated!

After each use, wipe it out. Then fill it half full of 50% vegetable oil and 50% peanut oil and then deep fry about 25-30 crappie and walleye fillets. After eating fillets, dump the oil and wipe it out with a paper towel. Beer helps settle the fillets and makes the cleaning chore seem like fun.

Repeat as often as necessary.

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    My wife brought a couple cast irons skillets home that were given to her by a co-worker. The co-worker says she can't stand to use them, everythiung sticks to them she says. I ask how she cleaning them, lady says she ran them through the dishwasher after every use.

We just clean our with a little water, no soap. If one happens to get in bad shape we will run it through the oven on clean cycle and reseason.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Also a tip. They get HOT very fast will burn food in no time. So watch.how much heat you apply to them. The pans may be bullet proof but your food and your hand are not.
    They are easiest cleaned when they are warm
    What I ideally do is make dinner, eat said dinner, then go wash it once year has been off for 30-45 min

I love mine

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    As already mentioned, pretty much just wipe out, I find that if something sticks a bit hit it while it's hot with water and the steam generated will usually loosen it right up. For a real cooking treat get a good cast iron gridle that will cover 2 burners on the stove. Mine is a constant on the stove and is used everyday. You will also find that the old good cast iron was machined to make it smooth on the bottom, I don't think anything made today is, it comes just as cast, and that can make a tough surface to cook on as it is pretty rough.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I use the unconventional method.

I will spray the pan wet; put a drop or two of Dawn soap on it; scrub it with a soft brush; and rinse.

Then, I immediately dry it real good; put a coat of olive oil on it, and set it on low heat on the stove burner for about 15 - 20 minutes.

If dry spots appear while heating, I take the oiled-up paper towel and wipe over the dry spot to reoil it.

Once cooled, I gently wipe off the excess oil.

My pans are new, Lodge pre-seasoned.

Top Bottom