• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    My 357 has a ported barrel and after 75 rounds down range today its really dirty. I have shot some remoil on the front sight and let it soak then scrubed with a cloth. Next some more remoil and scrubed with a old tooth brush. Gave up on that and tried the brass brush out of my cleaning still left a lot of build up on the front sight. Found some Outers tricare in my safe and repeated the process with no luck. Headed to town tomorrow what should I be looking for to clean my dirty 357?

Not my first time shooting the gun, it just irratates me everytime I clean it because it takes a couple of times of sitting down and spraying and scrubbing to get it clean.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Good question, the reason I clean after shooting is to preserve the gun for the next time out and hopefully extend the life of the gun. Is there a better cleaning schedule I should follow?

So, you go through all this to clean it. Next time you shoot it, it is all back. Why bother cleaning it?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Make a pick tool out of some brass or copper rod (about 1/4") and file it down into a chisel shape. Use it to scrape the gunk out. Brass or copper will not damage the bbl. steel. Never use any kind of metal tool made from steel. (like a small screwdriver) You'll never get all the fouling/leading out but you can keep the ports open. Ports and comps are very effective but as you have found they are a total pain in the butt to maintain. Is the fouling you are trying to remove powder or lead? Personally I would just clean the bore and forget about cleaning the ports. It won't damage you gun to shoot it even if the ports are completely clogged shut. I have cleaned friend's guns and range guns that were comped/ported and I will never own one. Not worth the trouble IMO. The only easy way is the Outers Foul Out system which essentially electrically "unplates" the fouling.

Top Bottom