• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Good picture!

Iron oxide (rust) has over ten times the volume of the original iron. So you can have what appears to be tons of rust without suffering much actual loss of the steel underneath.

That said, as the OP pointed out, cleaning right away is vital for the long-term care of any firearm shooting corrosive ammunition. :ar15:

kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    I had that happen once back when I first got into shooting. Expensive (at the time) lesson. Mine was pretty much a smooth bore one I got it cleaned up.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Eee gads. That picture gave me a minor panic attack.

I do the windex or diluted ammonia with hot water on my 91/30. It's no collector piece but that's not the point - I don't think I could let her just go. So tonight, she gets a nice bath and oiling. And we'll talk about spring.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well it's not an "after" pic, just a "later" pic. I'm still going to keep scrubbing for a while. I've used some windex now just to be sure. Also, now that the sun is going down, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to take pictures. So i'm sorry that it sucks, but i tried. Hopefully I'll have a real "after" pic tomorrow where i can tell you how perfect it is now.:yesway::rolleyes:

I think the bore might be as pitted as it looks in the picture. Almost looks rough like sand paper.

2-1.jpg

Do you ever feel like you're posting pictures of dirty laundry in the internet? Figuratively. The actual dirty laundry is in a pile 3 feet out of the camera's view.

Last edited:

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Seancass:
    Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience but at the same time I am impressed with your willingness to post the pics for the rest of us to use as a wakeup call. I just got into shooting milsurps with corrosive ammo and you have answered that little lurking question from the tiny guy sitting on my shoulder: "...it can't hurt to waiting until the morning to clean the gun...".
    Thanks again.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    ddewyse, don't think "I only shot a few rounds out of it" or, "well, i'll probably shoot it again over the weekend anyway" Those thoughts will get you into trouble like this.

Also, how clean before you say clean. I'm STILL running patches and scrubbing on this thing. Patches are still coming out gray.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You can buy an el-cheapo cleaning rod and chuck it into a battery drill with a bore brush on it to take care of the pitting...give it a try. Make sure you buy an 8mm bore brush.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Welp, i scrubbed and i scrubbed and here's what i got. You can see in this first picture that the bore is not smooth. The surface is rough like sand paper. The rifling looks pretty good, it looks smoother and shiny-er than the grooves. I don't know why but maybe that got cleaned/buffed better.

4.jpg

This second picture shows how the bore is pitted next to the rifleing. It's like this throughout the bore and this picture showed it best. After the sharp dark line of the rifling you can see how rough the pitting is right next to it. This pitting is very uniform in width next to all the rifling down the whole bore.

5.jpg
    http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u358/Schwan427/5.jpg?t=1265303506

Overall, this sucks, but the rifle isn't scrap metal yet. Don't look for it in the marketplace any time soon. It wil still get shot and hopefully you guys will be right and it'll clean up more with use. Atleast now i have all the cleaning supplies to keep this from ever happening again.

If it does, I'll get a chair at the ingo table at the 1500 and you all can slap me as you walk by.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think you can get it better once you shoot it, and clean it while the bore is warm. Also if you do try the cordless drill, do it on the low speed with a tight fitting bore brush. It will be o.k.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I had a Yugo SKS with a bore that looked much like that, after I cleaned all the crud out of it, and it didn't shoot too bad. It isn't the most accurate gun to begin with, granted, but it did about as well as my friends chrome bored Norinco, pitting and all.

Good luck to you, hopefully you'll still get some decent groups out of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    elijaharchiive
    Top Bottom