• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Sooo.... It appears i forgot to clean my mauser after the last time i shot it. This burns me up so bad because i'm such a stickler for cleaning my guns. Anywho here's the pic.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! CLEAN YOUR GUNS!!!
    1-3.jpg

I'm so ticked off about this. Looks like i have some cleaning to do.

If i had to guess, I'd say this happened in 2-3 months.

Last edited:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    hmm...eating my own foot tastes good...haha. For the life of me I don't know how I missed that...was it highlighted to begin with?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow, after reading those posts, I still had to go up more than once and figure out what they were talking about. I still didn't see it. Wonder why?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I bought a Mauser that looked like that once.

I don't remember the name of the stuff but it is a foaming barrel cleaner for BP guns. I took and plugged the chamber and filled the barrel with it. Let it set overnight, scrubbed it with a brush the next day then cleaned it like i normally would and it came out perfect.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well, a few patches of Hoppe's #9 has it back to looking like metal. It's sitting now, seeing if the hoppes will work magic. I don't see this bore coming out perfect no matter what i do, but it will be clean and lubed when it get's put away.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Rust

I've done the same and had the same in some rifles I have bought.
    I just scrub it out with a tornado brush, that funny looking one that looks like a bunch of steel wires looped together. They might be scrubbers for a shotgun, I forget now for sure what they are called. for a 8mm I used a 410 brush, it smashes down nicely. you don't need to worry about scratching the bore anymore, so this is cool. wet the bore with scrubber whatever kind you use, let it sit for a few minutes, then get the gunk out of the bore. repeat several times. it will still be rough more than likely, so I just went and shot a few dozen out of it, and cleaned like usual, you will be surprised, sometimes they clean up with no ill effects and the shine comes back, sometimes it is a light frosting. either way, that kind of rust won't affect the accuracy at all, I have found out. possibly if it was a scoped target gun, but just a open sight military rifle, it will still shoot just like it did before. I have had some really ratty bore rifles that I have cleaned up passable and they will still shoot good.
    bottom line, is not all is lost..lol.. it will still shoot just as good as before when cleaned out.

EDIT. I just seen where you cleaned it with hoppes and it looks fairly good, so it's not as bad as some I have got ahold of, It will clean up a bit better every time you shoot it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Gosh I love non-corrosive ammo. :rockwoot:

What does the bolt look like?

I shot one of my Mausers and couldn't clean it for 2 days. Pulled a bore snake through it and was greeted with a puff of orange powder. I panicked until I realized there was no metal damage. I was lucky to suffer no damage, but that one might hurt. best of luck and dont forget to show some pictures of how well it cleaned up.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Sorry to some for editing my original post so many times, i guess i confused a few people.

I wish i had a bore light/scope so i could get some good before and after pictures, but i think it looked about like that the whole way though. The bolt is dirty but not at all rusty.

No this wasn't a target rifle, but i like to think i take good care of my guns so I'm taking this mistake pretty personally. I think all my guns are going to get cleaned for good measure.

oh, and gosh i love cheap ammo :D

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Can't hurt to check them - you do normally remember to flush the bore for the corrosive's salt residue before normal cleaning right? If not, you can clean all you want it can still happen. Hell, you can have the bore full of grease and it will still rust away underneath it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I use windex with ammonia to neutralize the salts,then clean as normal.
    Another good trick is to take it to the range and shoot it some more until you warm up the bore, then clean with windex, then shooters choice, or sweets 7.62. I bought a garand (for 200.00 dollars) from someone who thought the bore was ruined, I took it to the range, fired it, cleaned it with the above mentioned formula, now the bore is mirror with no pitting.
    You can bring it back, it will just take some work, and remember if you are shooting corrosive ammo, clean with windex first, then whatever it is you use.;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Windex does great.

You might want to get some surplus GI Bore Cleaner at the next Indy 1500, or see if it is around at the Lafayette show coming up.

Green Magic is good stuff too. I have not seen it around for a while so don't know if it is still available.

After the salts are removed, try some Carbon Cutter from Slip2000 to flush out the carbon residue.

Top Bottom