• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Today my good friend who does not own any guns had an encounter.

While inside his in city home he saw a pair of teenagers walk through the empty plot next door. He then saw that they had come to a stop on the side of his house. So he moved to the bathroom to observe from that window. At that time he saw the teen boys remove a pistol from a backpack. He dropped to the ground as they pointed it at his window and fired.

It turned out to be a BB gun and the shot only penetrated the storm window.

He believes this to be retaliation for a confrontation he had with a thug in his neighborhood.

As I said he was unarmed but it made me start thinking about what I would have done. I think I might have fired when the gun was pointed in my direction. Then there would have been at least one dead kid with a BB gun.

Thoughts? How would you handle said situation? I'm sure there would be a huge legal sh*tstorm.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    well. i would personally react in a self defensive manner the moment i saw anything that resembled a "gun" pointed in my general direction. however, since that is not the scenario, i would recommend a police report and a follow up with the "thug" you have mentioned.

i do believe that if would behoove your friend to get himself some training and a firearm for personal defense. anyone can have a firearm, but not know how to properly use it in a high stress situation.

i wish your friend the best.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Today my good friend who does not own any guns had an encounter.

While inside his in city home he saw a pair of teenagers walk through the empty plot next door. He then saw that they had come to a stop on the side of his house. So he moved to the bathroom to observe from that window. At that time he saw the teen boys remove a pistol from a backpack. He dropped to the ground as they pointed it at his window and fired.

It turned out to be a BB gun and the shot only penetrated the storm window.

He believes this to be retaliation for a confrontation he had with a thug in his neighborhood.

As I said he was unarmed but it made me start thinking about what I would have done. I think I might have fired when the gun was pointed in my direction. Then there would have been at least one dead kid with a BB gun.

Thoughts? How would you handle said situation? I'm sure there would be a huge legal sh*tstorm.

Point a gun at someone and you will get shot.It doesn't matter if it's an orange plastic gun or a real empty gun or a gun that shoots blanks.
    Im not going to stand there and wait till I see if it's plastic BBs or lead bullets that come out of that gun.

Legally I dont see a problem if you think that your life is in danger, it doesn't matter if the gun is real or not.

Im not saying that I would shoot but I would have no problem aiming a gun at the kid and telling him to drop the gun now if he's acting like a threat to me or my loved ones.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    More than a few people have been killed in this country for having / pointing what has turned out to be a "toy" or a "BB/Pellet" gun at someone....someone who had a REAL gun.

Once it was determined that it was only a BB gun, though, I'd be inclined to think that the justification for using deadly force in return would be mighty thin.

-J-

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    More than a few people have been killed in this country for having / pointing what has turned out to be a "toy" or a "BB/Pellet" gun at someone....someone who had a REAL gun.

Once it was determined that it was only a BB gun, though, I'd be inclined to think that the justification for using deadly force in return would be mighty thin.

-J-

What a "reasonable person" believes...

If someone points a realistic looking gun (real or fake), a reasonable person would believe it's real

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is unfortunately somewhat common for law enforcement to shoot someone who is armed with only a "toy" gun. Do a quick Google search. I know of NO cases where it was ruled a "bad" shoot afterwards.

Would it be wrong to apply the same to the rest of us citizens?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    In order to avoid killing someone outside my house, I would have ducked down and called the Constables On Patrol. I would immediately order a pizza and see who arrives first. After responding to the satisfaction surveys from both the LEO's and Dominoes, I would load my weapon, and wait patiently.

p.s. I gotta get out more...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    At any distance, if something pointed at you sufficiently resembles a deadly weapon, you have a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury, and no responsibility to wait to see if it goes "bang" or "thwap". Not to mention, "putting your eye out" is serious bodily injury in itself. Maybe they're being dumb, maybe they're writing checks their hardware can't cash, but a threat is a threat and must be taken at face value, at the peril of yourself or your family. Some people just have to learn things the hard way.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    At any distance, if something pointed at you sufficiently resembles a deadly weapon, you have a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury, and no responsibility to wait to see if it goes "bang" or "thwap". Not to mention, "putting your eye out" is serious bodily injury in itself. Maybe they're being dumb, maybe they're writing checks their hardware can't cash, but a threat is a threat and must be taken at face value, at the peril of yourself or your family. Some people just have to learn things the hard way.

+1

Especially at night, in the dark, through the window....how can you accurately be expected to tell the difference between a gun and something that is specifically designed to look like a gun, but isn't? The perceived threat is there, so the force would be justified.

If you did kill a kid with a BB gun, though, you would have to live with that fact for the rest of your life, and I know that I personally, would be haunted by that, even knowing that if it happened again....I would probably have reacted the same way.

Sometimes, there are no winners, and everybody loses.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Shoot the kid, if he dies, go out inspect the gun, if it is a BB gun, go inside pick out your least favorite gun and plant it on him and hide the BB gun.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've read plenty of stories from law enforcements where they had to put someone down and find out the "gun" was a toy. It's very justified.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    +1

Especially at night, in the dark, through the window....how can you accurately be expected to tell the difference between a gun and something that is specifically designed to look like a gun, but isn't? The perceived threat is there, so the force would be justified.

If you did kill a kid with a BB gun, though, you would have to live with that fact for the rest of your life, and I know that I personally, would be haunted by that, even knowing that if it happened again....I would probably have reacted the same way.

Sometimes, there are no winners, and everybody loses.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If they didn't care about their life or mine enough to not point a gun(real or not) at me then that is not my fault. I carry all day long and don't.point it at anyone, so I expect the same.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    The teenage brain is a wondrous thing. God used it as a template. Then he created the amoeba.*

*Brother Theodore, circa 1960's except he used 'college student' instead of teenager.

Top Bottom