• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So my local club starts off the season with classifiers for both idpa and uspsa. I have never shot any type of match and am wondering if it would be a good idea or bad idea to have my first matches be classifiers... I may be able to get to a couple of "idpa style" matches at a different range but I don't think they are big on the actual rules of idpa. As far as uspsa, I doubt I will make it to any matches before the opening weekend classifiers...

Your opinions please.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    do it, they are fun.

Since they are your first, don't try to blaze away like you'll see others with more experience doing. I'm not saying go slow, but get your hits in the A zone.

One of the biggest mistakes I made early was trying to go faster than I was capable of, which led me to start out rather poorly.

Tell them you are brand new to the sport, they should put you at the end of the line for each stage so you can watch others before you shoot.

What club are you shooting your USPSA match at?

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    You have to be a member of both to have them count towards your classification. To shoot the state match at Warsaw, you will have to be a member of USPSA. Might as well pony up and get it out of the way in one day instead of waiting a couple of months to become classified by shooting regular club matches

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I am a member of both. Figured now would be a good time to throw the $ down... you can become classified by shooting regular matches over time??

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Wait, when you said I need to be a member of both, you meant Idpa and uspsa, not the clubs them selves right?

Also, npccc looks like its only uspsa that starts off the season with the classifier. I know, I read somewhere there was a classifier for idpa early in the season and that is what got me thinking if it was worth shooting them as my first matches...

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    you don't have to join a club to shoot the matches.

You first six classifiers will give you your initial classification, which is why I recommend you focus on the points instead of trying to shoot real fast.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

You first six classifiers will give you your initial classification, which is why I recommend you focus on the points instead of trying to shoot real fast.

It's the first four for the initial classification. Then the highest six of the most recent eight.

From ii of the most recent Handgun Rules:

Your percentage is based on your scores as they relate to the high score on file for a particular course of fire. To receive an initial classification, a member needs to have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior to the monthly reclassification procedure. If there are more than four scores on file, the best four scores of the most recent six scores will be used. Scores are sorted according to the match date to determine which scores are the most recent. For matches that are Level I Specials, the scores are further sorted by the score percent in descending order. In doing so, the lowest scores from a special will be the first scores to drop out of the most recent scores on file.

After a member has earned a classification, the classification system will look at the best six unduplicated scores of the most recent eight to evaluate the member’s current classification percentage.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Your initial four get you classified, then it is the best six of your most recent 8.

Sorry for the duplicate. I had not read the whole thread when I posted.

There is nothing more significant about the initial classification but it take longer if you don't go to a classifier match. As I understand North Porter County they only do classifiers on that first match. So if you miss that one you will not get classified if you only shoot there. Most clubs shoot a classifier every month. If you only shoot one match per month then it takes four months to get classified. That is one attraction for classifier matches.

You should come down and take my Competition 101 class on march 31st and you will be much more prepared for that first match. Good luck. I might see you April first. I shot that match last year.

Last edited:

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Cyprant:

Join USPSA.

Go to the training with Coach. It will make your first match experience much better. I learned as I shot matches. A course like his would have made it much easier for me and the ROs that did an outstanding job coaching me at the local matches.
    Safe gun handling is the most important to me. You will learn in a short period what took me over a year.

Shoot the Classifier Match at NPCCC. If you are not a member, join the club. Help set up the stages for the monthly match(normally the day before).

There are several clubs in the area where you can shoot matchs. I try to shoot as many as I can. For fun practice shoot the Steel Plate Matches at NPCCC.

As for Classification. I'm a middle C. I do my best on classifiers and if I'm a C, so be it. I really enjoy shooting field courses, designing stages, and being an RO.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Cyprant:

Join USPSA.

Go to the training with Coach. It will make your first match experience much better. I learned as I shot matches. A course like his would have made it much easier for me and the ROs that did an outstanding job coaching me at the local matches.
    Safe gun handling is the most important to me. You will learn in a short period what took me over a year.

Shoot the Classifier Match at NPCCC. If you are not a member, join the club. Help set up the stages for the monthly match(normally the day before).

There are several clubs in the area where you can shoot matchs. I try to shoot as many as I can. For fun practice shoot the Steel Plate Matches at NPCCC.

As for Classification. I'm a middle C. I do my best on classifiers and if I'm a C, so be it. I really enjoy shooting field courses, designing stages, and being an RO.

C class for life...LOL:yesway:. We had this discussion last year.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Wait, when you said I need to be a member of both, you meant Idpa and uspsa, not the clubs them selves right?

Also, npccc looks like its only uspsa that starts off the season with the classifier. I know, I read somewhere there was a classifier for idpa early in the season and that is what got me thinking if it was worth shooting them as my first matches...

Correct, I meant USPSA and IDPA, not the club itself. Sorry for any confusion.

I will have to keep this in mind. I can work on that L-10 and increasing the Limited all in one month. Aww...why not, I will see if I can push that Production to B class. I did increase my % a whole 0.2% last year. Sandbagging is fun...:D...(if it were only true that I sandbagged)

Top Bottom