• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Just a quick question. What's the purpose or reason behind asking to see a LTCH during a long gun FTF purchase? Obviously the seller sets the terms. I'm just curious why that's semi common.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are only three legal requirements for a direct firearm sale in Indiana.
    -Buyer at least 18yo.
    -Buyer from the same state.
    -You believe that the buyer is a "proper person"- no violations that would make it illegal to purchase/possess a firearm.

The first two are easily verifiable by looking at a drivers license. Most of us don't have any easy access for background checks. We really don't want to sell to terrorists, wife beaters, violent felons, etc. The best/easy tool we have available is the LTCH which shows that the buyer passed a background check (although they may have done something since).

So, although the "belief" in the other person's character doesn't require proof, when dealing with a stranger, many want at least some level of assurance for their own peace of mind. That sometimes leads to a situation where a seller requires an LTCH to sell a long arm, even though LTCHs only cover carrying handguns.

Last edited:

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Makes a lot of sense, thank you both. I don't carry my pistol other than while hunting. I've seen a few tempting offerings on the forum but they'll occasionally require a LTCH.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You will also want to post more to buy from a member. You need to be a contributing member to participate in the classifieds which means that you need at least 50 quality posts or pay to become a site supporter. The first option means that you are contributing to the content of the site which attracts readers. The latter contributes to maintaining the servers which keep the site up and running on the web. If you decide to use the first route, be aware that you are currently in a probationary period. Making a run to 50 with a bunch of short/junk posts will get them deleted. It also doesn't contribute much to the value of INGO's content. Participate more, post thoughtful questions/answers and you will get there soon enough.

:ingo:

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    You will also want to post more to buy from a member. You need to be a contributing member to participate in the classifieds which means that you need at least 50 quality posts or pay to become a site supporter. The first option means that you are contributing to the content of the site which attracts readers. The latter contributes to maintaining the servers which keep the site up and running on the web. If you decide to use the first route, be aware that you are currently in a probationary period. Making a run to 50 with a bunch of short/junk posts will get them deleted. It also doesn't contribute much to the value of INGO's content. Participate more, post thoughtful questions/answers and you will get there soon enough.

Thanks. I was aware of the stipulations to be sure. I have had an account since my father told me of the forum, and have lurked and read for about a year. I've kept the $20 cost in mind as I perused.

I've finally decided to join the conversation instead of just listening in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

"AND"....stopping after 51 posts does not put you in the "Contributing" category with a lot of members me included. Stay active. Reading is good but post up. Stay current.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "AND"....stopping after 51 posts does not put you in the "Contributing" category with a lot of members me included. Stay active. Reading is good but post up. Stay current.

Agreed. When I see someone who has 52 posts, but has posted 160 classifieds ads, it makes me a bit wary of dealing with that person.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Makes a lot of sense, thank you both. I don't carry my pistol other than while hunting. I've seen a few tempting offerings on the forum but they'll occasionally require a LTCH.

If someone wants to see your LTCH you might try offering to show your hunting license. That might satisfy them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you are active on ingo it is easy to see what and who you are. I have never felt the need to ask for an LTCH when selling trading with an active ingo member.

I dunno. We've had some shady figures around here. You can usually tell who they are by the number of times they post this figure: :shady:

Top Bottom