• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I've had my LTCH for several months now & carry often. On average I've gotten to the range every 2-3 weeks for simple practice & dry practice my draw & presentation at home too.

REALLY looking to go through some formal instruction but all of the classes I've seen are downstate.

Anyone have info on good instructors/classes scheduled for northern or NE IN?

Thanks.

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Yeah, Sand Burr Gun Ranch is great. I was there for an Ayoob class a few years ago. D. O. Reichert does some great work on S&W stuff, especially revolvers. They've got a website as well, I neglected that in my initial post: Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah, Sand Burr Gun Ranch is great. I was there for an Ayoob class a few years ago. D. O. Reichert does some great work on S&W stuff, especially revolvers. They've got a website as well, I neglected that in my initial post: Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Home

Yes, Sand Burr Gun Ranch is a great place for training. I have seen them and talked to them at the Rochester Gun Show. I have been to their shop also. Dennis Reichert is a very knowledgeable man. His Daughter runs the shop now. When Dennis retires from the PD I am sure he will spend a lot more time in the shop as well. The shop was a garage, so it is not big and fancy like some shop, but it works. The last time I was there I told Ashley about INGO. Was thinking that they might join us on here!? I talked to Ashley about some shooting lessons with the wheel guns for the wife and daughter. Need to get back on that, and thinking about the other courses also.
    Like any Gun Shop they are worth checking out if you are in the area!

one more

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been to Sand Burr for a John Farnam class and had a great time there. It's an excellent facility that will improve over time. I can also recommend any classes that John and Vicki Farnam do without reservation. They are among the best in the history of the industry.

Note that I do not live in northern Indiana, but I traveled to where the class I wanted was held. I would suggest that people not limit themselves so strictly by geography. There are many classes held at the Boone Co. Sheriff's Dept. range that should not be missed, even if you live in northern or southern Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow rochester is like 15 minutes from me? How much do the training classes cost?

It depends on the instructor and the class. The big name guys charge more for their time. You're looking at $500 and up for a two-day class there.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    There is some excellent training at Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart taught by a retired police trainer. Cost is $15 for a 2 hour class. What's great is you don't get as overloaded with skills and information as you do in a longer course. No formal registration is required. Just show up. For your first time get there about 5:30 to meet the instructor. Round count is about 200. Sometimes part of the class time is spent with rifles so bring one if you have it. The regulars always bring theirs and are pretty good about sharing. Round count for rifle is less than 2 magazines full. There are no commitments to numbers of classes attended, pre-registration.

Personally, I notice significant improvement in my shooting after each class. And you can't beat the cost.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    There is some excellent training at Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart taught by a retired police trainer. Cost is $15 for a 2 hour class. What's great is you don't get as overloaded with skills and information as you do in a longer course. No formal registration is required. Just show up. For your first time get there about 5:30 to meet the instructor. Round count is about 200. Sometimes part of the class time is spent with rifles so bring one if you have it. The regulars always bring theirs and are pretty good about sharing. Round count for rifle is less than 2 magazines full. There are no commitments to numbers of classes attended, pre-registration.

Personally, I notice significant improvement in my shooting after each class. And you can't beat the cost.

Sounds great. Are the classes a specific day of the week?

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    For anyone who wants some cheap shooting time.

.22 TACTICAL/COWBOY SHOOT
    WHERE: CHIEF WAKE’DE RANGE, BRISTOL, IN
    (1.5 MI. EAST OF BRISTOL ON SR 120)
    WHEN: THE FOLLOWING SUNDAYS
    APRIL 25TH, MAY 23RD, JUNE 20TH, JULY 25TH, AUG 22ND
    2010, STARTING AT 1:00 PM
    WHAT’S GOING ON:
    WE WILL BE SHOOTING AN ACTION TYPE MATCH WITH 3 CLASSES:
     COWBOY: 2 SINGLE ACTION PISTOLS AND A LEVER OR PUMP RIFLE
     MODERN: ANY PISTOL AND/OR RIFLE 10 RND LIMIT PER GUN
     TACTICAL: THE NAME SAYS IT ALL, PISTOL AND RIFLE ANY OPTIC
    WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING:
    GUNS (OF COURSE)*, EYE AND EAR PROTECTION, PLENTY OF AMMO AND A
    GOOD ATTITUDE
    COST: $5.00 PER CLASS (LIMIT 2 CLASSES)

ON THE WEB: Wolff
    There is an email contact on the site.

*Even if you don’t have all/any of the guns, bring what you have and
    come on out anyway. We’ll make sure you get to shoot.

TimmyP1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In 1990 I signed up to take LFI-I from Massad Ayoob. I arrived in Rochester, and: No Ayoob (he had a court case). In his stead was Denny Reichard. I was quite perturbed - until about 15 minutes into the class. Denny was knowledgeable, engaging, and personable. I learned a lot and had a great time. If you want to improve your firearms skills (or get your S&W tuned), Denny is a good man to see (and I'm sure that his daughter Ash is much more than a chip off the old block).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ACT will be doing a couple of defensive pistol classes in Warsaw, IN in October. Hopefully some of the people who have been asking for training in the northern part of the state will consider this opportunity.

Details will follow soon.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    ACT will be doing a couple of defensive pistol classes in Warsaw, IN in October. Hopefully some of the people who have been asking for training in the northern part of the state will consider this opportunity.

Details will follow soon.

I may have to show up and harass everyone :D

Top Bottom