Clarification on 'Religious discussion' rule.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Religious topics

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hate to agree with a 13 year old, but that's not THAT bad of an idea. It would take some stress off the MODS. And upset members wouldn't give them the blame anymore.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    So for every reported post, you're going to select a jury? Do you have any idea how many jurors per day would be needed? What about posts that don't get "reported but are obviously a gross violation of the rules?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So for every reported post, you're going to select a jury? Do you have any idea how many jurors per day would be needed? What about posts that don't get "reported but are obviously a gross violation of the rules?

We could do the terms that were suggested above. Also if the moderators find a post that is in gross violation of the rules they can skip the jury and administer punishment because the post obviously hurt the community as a whole

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The reason this rule is warped is because it necessitates that some people cannot express who they are at their deepest while others have no such restriction.
    However, this is a gun forum. There are plenty of places to discuss religion.

But it is always interesting to me, that the same people who would espouse the benefits of our representative republic and / or those who believe in democracy, act like dictators when running a forum.
    Some may claim that this conglomeration of ideas from hudreds (thousands) of reguolar visitors/members is "theirs." I'm sure most dictators felt their country was theirs as well and the populace should be happy if they are allowed to live.

Live Long and Prosper

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter any input?

Yes, you've planted an interesting framework, but no details about how it's actually supposed to work. I can tell you that moderation by popular vote is a losing proposition. It does not work. That's why you won't ever find a forum that uses it. Furthermore, you're operating under the assumption that INGO is a democracy. It is not. It's a benevolent dictatorship and the rules are defined by the site owner. I can virtually guarantee that the site owner is not going to hand over enforcement of the rules to the membership at large. There is literally no benefit for him to do that.

But it is always interesting to me, that the same people who would espouse the benefits of our representative republic and / or those who believe in democracy, act like dictators when running a forum.

As long as Fenway owns INGO, he's free to operate it in any fashion he chooses. Why should it be otherwise?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    the same people who would espouse the benefits of our representative republic and / or those who believe in democracy, act like dictators when running a forum.
    Some may claim that this conglomeration of ideas from hudreds (thousands) of reguolar visitors/members is "theirs." I'm sure most dictators felt their country was theirs as well and the populace should be happy if they are allowed to live.

I was going to address your misunderstanding of how a forum is operated, but it looks like Scutter01 already did.

Furthermore, you're operating under the assumption that INGO is a democracy. It is not. It's a benevolent dictatorship and the rules are defined by the site owner. I can virtually guarantee that the site owner is not going to hand over enforcement of the rules to the membership at large. There is literally no benefit for him to do that.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Yes, you've planted an interesting framework, but no details about how it's actually supposed to work. I can tell you that moderation by popular vote is a losing proposition. It does not work. That's why you won't ever find a forum that uses it. Furthermore, you're operating under the assumption that INGO is a democracy. It is not. It's a benevolent dictatorship and the rules are defined by the site owner. I can virtually guarantee that the site owner is not going to hand over enforcement of the rules to the membership at large. There is literally no benefit for him to do that.

As long as Fenway owns INGO, he's free to operate it in any fashion he chooses. Why should it be otherwise?
    True. It sounds like a good idea like paper IMHO, but the mods are doing a fine job right now and change would be to difficult.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Also this is the way it would work.

-Member reports post
    -Mods PM jury with post content
    -Jury send back decision
    -Mods take appropriate action

Status
    Not open for further replies.