• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    4 H does have and sponsors shooting events. Our county fair here in Pulaski County has many displays for Archery and Firearms. After reading this post,it kind of seems ridiculous to put up a no firearm sign. Maybe not all Indiana 4 H clubs sponsor shooting events?
    The 4H does not own any fairgrounds, or run any fairs. It is a partnership between the 4H, whoever is actually running the event, and whoever actually owns the property.

Heck, some county fairs have shooting exhibits, but also have a no firearms policy. :n00b:

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    About the trespassing issue, if it is legal to have firearm in your possession at a place that is posted no firearms and the LEO arrests you for trespassing after you refuse the owners/LEO request for you to leave, under what grounds can they arrest you? If this is a public event what grounds do they have to single you out to actually tell you to leave and then be arrested when you are breaking no laws? It just seems to me that singling someone out for no just reason would open the public sign poster up to a law suit for discrimination.
    maybe they all have signs that say "we have the right to refuse service to anyone".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    About the trespassing issue, if it is legal to have firearm in your possession at a place that is posted no firearms and the LEO arrests you for trespassing after you refuse the owners/LEO request for you to leave, under what grounds can they arrest you? If this is a public event what grounds do they have to single you out to actually tell you to leave and then be arrested when you are breaking no laws? It just seems to me that singling someone out for no just reason would open the public sign poster up to a law suit for discrimination.
    maybe they all have signs that say "we have the right to refuse service to anyone".
    It is private property, just like the mall, sports stadium, or grocery store. The public is WELCOME, but you must abide by the property owner's rules.

About the only place you can't trespass is your own property. Just about everywhere else is owned by someone (even if that someone is the government).

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Trespassing. They can tell you to leave their property for just about any reason they want. They don't even have to give a reason. If you refuse to leave when told to do so, you're trespassing. The no-guns sign is no different than a sign that says "no pink leather pants" or "no ski masks."

They can only be sued for discrimination if they asked you to leave because you're a member of one of the protected classes. Gun carrier is not a protected class anymore than ski mask wearer or pink leather pants wearer.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I do not speak lawyer so I will ask this. The fair grounds here are owned by an Agricultural Association and leased by the county for the fair so would it be legal to CC or not? There are no signs posted about no firearms allowed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I do not speak lawyer so I will ask this. The fair grounds here are owned by an Agricultural Association and leased by the county for the fair so would it be legal to CC or not? There are no signs posted about no firearms allowed.

What county is this? Noble?

If it is Noble:
    General Information - Noble County Community Fair, Indiana
    No alcohol or weapons are to be permitted on fairgrounds at any time.

Fairgrounds owned by:
    Eastern Ind Agricultural Assn
    Beacon - Noble County, IN

The Fair is operated by:
    the Noble County Community Fair Corp. (a non-profit).

These are all private groups, and can have whatever policies they want. The county isn't really involved at all. If you violate a policy, and refuse to leave if asked/told, then you are trespassing. Same as any other business.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    4 H does have and sponsors shooting events. Our county fair here in Pulaski County has many displays for Archery and Firearms. After reading this post,it kind of seems ridiculous to put up a no firearm sign. Maybe not all Indiana 4 H clubs sponsor shooting events?

never said 4H never didn't sponsor. Just used 4H as an example that if a certain 4H group (or any group) renting the establishment could have rules in place to not bring firearms in.

There is no law broken as far as the firearms. You would just be asked to either secure the firearm somewhere or leave the property/activities. The only thing you could get cited for would trespass if you refused to leave when asked by the property owner within the presence of the LEO's

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    an email reply sent to me by a third party to post about this the fair:

removed,

Thanks for your comment as I don't bring my gun to the fair either but your decision to exclude your family is your choice.

The Fairgrounds are owned and operated by the Greentown Lions Club. In respect for everyone to feel safe, like in the old west, The sheriff takes away your gun as you come in, gives it to you as you leave. Nothing new to that theory of keeping the towns citizens safe when visitors come in. I feel as when I visit my friends house, I don't need to bring my gun. That same theory is why we don't allow guns on the fairgrounds. It's not friendly and inviting when I bring a weapon to my friends place.

So removed, if you feel unsafe at the fair without your gun. Please let it be known that two officers are armed and on the grounds around the clock.

I think the biggest concern is no one get sick after a ride.

Just its your right to boycott the fair, but kids and families have such a great time.
    Thanks for your comments and removed, we'll miss your family.

Please feel free if you do come, I'll pick up your Families dinner at the Lions Cafeteria. Check in at the Fair Office and I'll have a letter for you and your Family to eat free on me.

Thanks again removed,

It's great to be an American !

Rocky Simpson
    Greentown Lions Member

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom